Nugget Shooter Forums

Found this recently out in the Gold Basin area. Embedded in the top of the caliche about 3" down, but not part of the caliche, meaning it wasn't stuck in it like the other rocks.

Has a lot of signs and symptoms of a meteor but it's not like any other GB chondrite I've ever found, similar but not exactly the same. I did a streak test and it streaks black like it's color, not brown at all. It's ultra magnetic, and weighs 117g. There was almost nothing stuck to it, I just rinsed it off with water for the photo. I did grind a window in it but not sure if I'm seeing iron nickel inside or not.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks

20180812_164326_resized.jpg

20180812_164312_resized.jpg

The surface texture does not look like a met to me. It does look like the texture of what I call an iron pseudomorph. I have found several that are strongly magnetic and look just like that. They do not streak grey like magnetite but not red like hematite. Kinda earthy reddish brown. They are limonite turning to hematite or something. They are submetallic inside and fresh surfaces are bright but they dull after a few hours.

I have no idea what it is but I would be skeptical of it being a meteorite based only on looks and magnetism. What did the window look like?

Edited by Bedrock Bob

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The surface texture does not look like a met to me. It does look like the texture of what I call an iron pseudomorph. I have found several that are strongly magnetic and look just like that. They do not streak grey like magnetite but not red like hematite. Kinda earthy reddish brown. They are limonite turning to hematite or something. They are submetallic inside and fresh surfaces are bright but they dull after a few hours.

I have no idea what it is but I would be skeptical of it being a meteorite based only on looks and magnetism. What did the window look like?

I actually agree with you Bedrock. It's one of those rocks that I'm not going to toss in the flower garden until I know for sure what it is. The window I'm not sure. I'll see if I can get a better photo of it and post it. It looks like it could have iron nickel in it but it's not the same as meteors that I have found in GB. I hunt Gold basin a lot and I've never come across anything exactly like this rock. You get a lot of black iron hot rocks out there, I call them 'blackies'. I like 'blackies' because it's my experience that when you find a lot of blackies I find nuggets. But this rock is not like the typical black iron hot rocks. The streak test on this showed black the same color as the rock. It's also more magnetic that the average black iron rock out there. So a couple things just don't ad up for me and I wanted to get the opinion of someone who probably knows a lot more than me about it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I sure don't know very much about it. I am just a know-it-all. I like discussing rocks though and seeing what other guys are looking at and dealing with. They look just like the rocks I pick up and consider as a met. So thanks for showing it to us!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1