Nugget Shooter Forums
Rocky

Favorite stone in my collection!!

This is without a doubt one of my favorite whole stones in my collection aesthetically. With a few photo enhancements you can really bring out the striking contrast between the fragments and the binding material. 

Does anyone else hear have similar breccia they wouldn't mind sharing I would really really love to see them. I've tried to find more of this one in the general location this one was found with no luck so I have to wait till winter for foliage to die off to find more maybe. Maybe it was just a one off dragged in by a glacier. Anyways hope you like it.

IMAG3080.jpg

IMAG3079~2.jpg

IMAG3080~3.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Rocky said:

This is without a doubt one of my favorite whole stones in my collection aesthetically. With a few photo enhancements you can really bring out the striking contrast between the fragments and the binding material. 

Does anyone else hear have similar breccia they wouldn't mind sharing I would really really love to see them. I've tried to find more of this one in the general location this one was found with no luck so I have to wait till winter for foliage to die off to find more maybe. Maybe it was just a one off dragged in by a glacier. Anyways hope you like it.

IMAG3080.jpg

IMAG3079~2.jpg

IMAG3080~3.jpg

Hallo Rocky,

How about these.

DSC02657-1-1.jpg

DSC02727-1-1-1.jpg

DSC02701-1.jpg

DSC02652-1-1.jpg

Bump !! Does anyone own a couple of these breccias they wouldn't mind sharing with me

• well done 1

Your breccia really is a pretty piece, Rocky.  A whole bunch of those would make for some fantastic stone work around the house.  Did you find it in an area where it might have been transported down from Canada via ice?

Edited by Saul R W
Clarification of a muddy point.

5 hours ago, Saul R W said:

Your breccia really is a pretty piece, Rocky.  A whole bunch of those would make for some fantastic stone work around the house.  Did you find it in an area where it might have been transported down from Canada via ice?

It may be Saul. Many features of cape cod are a result of glacial deposits.

Is this type of rock common in Canada?

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rocky said:

Bump !! Does anyone own a couple of these breccias they wouldn't mind sharing with me

20180815_115600-1.jpg

DSC03341-1-1.jpg

DSC03171-1.jpg

DSC03216-1.jpg

DSC03043-1.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know very much about the geology on your end of the continent, Rocky, but in Y.T. there are numerous magma-driven breccia zones that are all lumped together under the name Wernecke, some of which contain gold, copper, uranium and other goodies.  There are similar breccias in Alaska.  Sitting right under my house up there (my mom lives in it now) is part of a mud breccia zone with high gold content, but it's too deep at that part of the valley to be mined profitably, and also there are issues with mineral rights due to Jimmy Carter and ANILCA, but that's another story.  I did find a lens of gravel containing river rocks made up of gold-bearing conglomerate, though. I discovered it while digging a borrow pit for gravel for building pad and road material (my youngest daughter found the first piece of gold in a rock that also contained a couple of nice fossils while I was spreading rock on the road with my handy dandy Mezoproterozoic trackhoe). 

I'm not positive, but I would guess there must be multiple breccias north of you. They can be highly individual in looks and content. Someone smarter than me, one of our resident geo-geniuses, might be able to identify where your rock came from just from its appearance. 

Breccia is pretty common out West, but perhaps in the North the glaciers scraped down to the bedrock, including all false bedrocks and deposits that would have cemented into Breccia.  I also think that if there are Breccias, still in the bedrock, then they may be located in some of the higher mountains. If you find a geological survey, they may be indicated.  I've tried the AZ state website and the USGS, and occasionally find the detail I'm looking for.  The best detailed geological maps I've seen are Clay's Footprints, and I have no idea how he gets that data.  It shows a hundred meter wide patch of pegmatite located on my claim, where as the on line state maps will tell me a few types of rocks within a few miles of my claim.  That's like the difference of looking down from the top of a building for Clay's Maps and looking down from an Airliner at 40,000 feet for the state online maps.

Again, far from an expert, but I wonder with how rounded the rock is and how the pebbles inside the rock seem to broken smooth and then worn to the rest of the rock if that sample hadn't somehow metamorphized.  Quartzite is supposed to be metamorphized and able to break along the individual pebbles and wear evenly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimale said:

20180815_115600-1.jpg

DSC03341-1-1.jpg

DSC03171-1.jpg

DSC03216-1.jpg

DSC03043-1.jpg

DSC02445-1-1.jpg

Jimale, the white rocks (pics 2,3,4) look like the solid sheet of rock I used to see under the very white shallow soil in Qatar.  It kind of looks like the rocks were formed from an ancient sea, concretion and evaporation.  The quarts one kind of looks like pictures I've seen of quartzite.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Jimale, the white rocks (pics 2,3,4) look like the solid sheet of rock I used to see under the very white shallow soil in Qatar.  It kind of looks like the rocks were formed from an ancient sea, concretion and evaporation.  The quarts one kind of looks like pictures I've seen of quartzite.

I was thinking it's similar to a thick layer of caliche in Israel, in Hevron and G'lil.  Just like gold settles down up top of caliche in the Southwest, in the Middle East it is coins and Bronze and Iron Age relics (maybe heavy varieties of meteroites, too?) that settle down on top of that caliche.  In hill country, that layer is cut by wadis (gulches), and you can also see older caliche layers from earlier climate cycles in the column.

15 hours ago, Jimale said:

Jimale those are some really good pictures, nice job taking the pictures man!!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 1:17 PM, Salomon king said:

What do you think about this ?? 

20180816_172738.jpg

From left to right caliche, metamorphic, sedimentary, these are not breccia.

• Thanks 1

A few Alaskan breccia including an agatized breccia

IMG_0992.JPG2~1.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG2~1.JPG

• Like 1
  • wow 1

28 minutes ago, Jimale said:

20180821_043004-1.jpg

Sorry, the photo is blurry

20180821_042837-1-1.jpg

On 8/19/2018 at 5:40 PM, Bob(AK) said:

A few Alaskan breccia including an agatized breccia

IMG_0992.JPG2~1.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG2~1.JPG

Wow Bob!! I don't know how I missed your post. These are wicked awesome looking!

6 minutes ago, Jimale said:

Sorry, the photo is blurry

20180821_042837-1-1.jpg

That's okay Jimale this photo is pretty clear. That looks like sandstone. Am I correct. We don't have that where I like. Isn't like petrified sand dunes??

Hi,

Greetings from the United Kingdom guys!

Just thought Rocky, and others, might like to see a breccia pebble l found on my gravel driveway a couple of weeks’ ago. I know the quarry all the gravel came from, and l know the local stone mix pretty well. It is a post-glacial area, so all sorts of rocks turn up, but l have never found anything close to this. It is the size of a large Brazil nut. 

I haven’t been able to find where else in the region matter like this is found.

01D21C61-693A-444A-81FE-35C96A0D3E84.jpeg

EADDD4B8-5206-4335-B5D1-E532A79927D9.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Edge said:

IMG_20190213_114127921.jpg

Nice conglomerate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Nice conglomerate.

Thanks

Here are some various Breccia found on the last year in WI.

breccia.jpgconglom1.jpggreen conglomerate.jpgquartzite red.jpg

• Like 1

The first chert breccia has two front teeth if you look close.