Nugget Shooter Forums

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, clay said:

The odds are high if you have a 1903 A3 it was manufactured by a typewriter company.

Typewriter :inocent:

O.K.

I don't have a 1903 A3 but thanks. My son used to have one but he got rid of it. He shoots a Tikka T3 now. You may have read the story...

I'm familiar with the history of the rifle as well as the manufacturing industry during wartime. I just don't see where it fits into any conversation.

I thought we were playing some sort of strange word/number association game. :idunno:

Exactly what game are we playing? Are there winners and losers or are we just playing for fun?

Edited by Bedrock Bob
My next guess is "Alarm Clock" and my lucky numbers are 4, 27, 34, 16, 12 and Powerball 14

7 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I don't have a 1903 A3 but thanks. My son used to have one but he got rid of it. He shoots a Tikka T3 now. You may have read the story...

I'm familiar with the history of the rifle as well as the manufacturing industry during wartime. I just don't see where it fits into any conversation.

I thought we were playing some sort of strange word/number association game. :idunno:

Exactly what game are we playing? Are there winners and losers or are we just playing for fun?

6 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

7, 9, 26, 44, 68 and Powerball 3. :idunno:

Typewriter

3 minutes ago, clay said:

Typewriter

Darn. I was sure it was "Alarm Clock". :grr01:

I guess I just don't understand the rules to this game. 

I thought it was pictionary, so I posted a picture. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

That makes sense. 

So since you figured it out then it is your turn to go next. You post a model number for a rifle, a typewriter or an alarm clock and the first one to post a picture of that item wins!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

That makes sense. 

So since you figured it out then it is your turn to go next. You post a model number for a rifle, a typewriter or an alarm clock and the first one to post a picture of that item wins!

RCD30

27 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

poodle clock.png

Close but no poodles on the model I posted, but I think that maybe a much older model from Spain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

RCD30

s-l640.jpg

• well done 1

Posted (edited)

Poopa hunting-poodle-vintage.jpg

Edited by clay

:laught16:

You won the trifecta Clay! 

Did you know Smith Corona had a branch in Spain that made weather vanes? This particular model (BR-549) always points the way to GOLD!

pointing poodle.png

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

O.K., Lets do it the opposite way now. I will post a photo of a poodle and you give me the model number....

poodle3.jpg

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Notice the poodle is shooting left handed.
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

O.K., Lets do it the opposite way now. I will post a photo of a poodle and you give me the model number....

poodle3.jpg

1906 Dua Lipa with rhinestone collar.

• Haha 2

The model of the rifle Clay. Not the poodle. :arrowheadsmiley:

It is a Remington 700LE. Left handed action with a Bell and Carlson stock and Harris bipod. I think that is a Vortex 6.5 X 20 50mm scope on top with the optional 4" sun shade. Nice Nikkon steel scope rings too. Almost the same setup as my varmint rifle but without the sweet LaRue rail. I wonder what caliber it is chambered in?

Lets try another one. Same poodle, different rifle...

poodle2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2019 at 3:19 PM, Au Seeker said:

I was hoping that Bob would post a pic of the rare and elusive 1902 Springfield mentioned in the OP. Looks like it finally morphed back into an '03-A3 somewhere along the line . . .  :inocent: 

On 7/13/2019 at 8:07 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

poodle3.jpg

"Notice the poodle is shooting left handed."

No Bob, the"poodle" is obviously not a South Paw. The right handed "Doggie", simply appears to be trying to shoot a left handed bolt action rifle. Very doable but not recommended with rifles that have a roll-over cheek piece. At least, the little doggie seems to know his right paw from his left . . .

On 7/13/2019 at 2:44 PM, clay said:

The 1903 A3 was also manufactured by Remington.

Typewriter.

Rifle.

"Remington Raiders" ( military slang for clerk typists)

I had the chance to do some shooting and work on the Encore 209 X 50 rifle a bit. I have made some progress tuning it in and I figure some of you guys might like to read the report. 

The rifle was very nice to point but I always had a problem with cheek weld. When my eye is centered behind the crosshair I am not in firm contact with the gun. Also, the stock is a bit short for me. It works fine especially when wearing lots of clothes but it could be 1/2" longer. So I decided to work on ergonomics. I figured it would be the best way to improve my accuracy.

I like Hogue stocks but they don't make one for the Encore. The only reasonably priced stock that I could find was the factory thumbhole stock and it is exactly 1/2" longer pull than the regular stock. I found one on Amazon for $62 and decided that I had very little to loose by trying it. It was a bit longer but had the same comb height. So I put the Bradley cheek piece from my 30-06 on the Encore.

Man what a difference! I adjusted the cheek piece so I am centered when I mash my face against the stock. You can't come down in the wrong place now. You can mount the rifle with your eyes closed and when you open your eyes you are centered in the reticle perfectly. This will eliminate any paralax and sight error when making a quick offhand shot. The thumb hole has a bit fatter grip with a little more wrist angle and it is definitely more natural than the original stock. So I think I am moving in the right direction.

I noticed the forearm was bearing hard against the left side of the barrel. I floated the barrel channel and took almost a quarter inch of the material off the "ears" that hold the hinge pin. I did not realize how badly it fit until I started taking material off. Now when the forend is torqued it is all free floating.  

I figured I may as well do a trigger job too. The factory pull was not bad. About 3.5 lbs and nice and solid. I replaced the trigger spring, did some polishing on the mating surfaces and installed a monster hammer spring from Bellm TC.

I have a clean break at 2.5 lbs and about half the lock time than I did before. So flinches and plucks will make less difference now. The thing goes off before you can even react to it. You don't even feel the hammer fall. It is like a bolt action snapping.

I spent less than $100 and I think it made a lot of difference. It holds very nice patterns and is steady as a rock.

So here is my new and improved meat wrench. The Frankenfifty.

DSCN0723.JPG

Accuracy is great. This rifle has always printed good patterns with the proper sabot/bullet combination. The bore diameter on this rifle is .504 so it is a little bigger than most muzzleloading rifles. The old Knight black sabots shot beautifully but they are no longer available.

I did a lot of shooting and found that the accuracy from Hornandy, Knight and TC sabots were all mediocre. They loaded easily but were just not engaging the rifling enough to get good patterns. I found some Harvester Crush Rib sabots manufactured a little larger to fix this problem. Man what a difference in accuracy! Just like the old Black Knight Sabots!

DSCN0725.JPG

The target on the left was fired with green Knight sabots. On the right Harvester crush ribs. Both are using 80 grs. Pyrodex and a 240 gr. Hornandy .430 diameter bullet. Both are six shot patterns at 100 yards patching between shots. 

I was using some old Pyrodex that was several years old and I noticed that I was printing vertical strings when the rifle was shooting well. This generally indicates pressure differential caused by varying powder charges, varying seating pressures or old powder. After I shot about thirty rounds all stacked on top of each other I decided I could get that pattern down tighter with some fresh powder. 

I had heard of Blackhorn 209. It is a hybrid smokeless powder that everyone is raving about. I had tried Triple seven when it came out and it was crap. So I was hesitant to spend $40 on a ten ounce can of Blackhorn 209. But I did and it works nicely.

DSCN0726.JPG

Here is an 8 shot group fired at 100 yards. 240 grain Hornandy .430 pistol bullets over 60 grains (by weight) of Blackhorn 209. I had fired a five shot group prior to this. No cleaning and no patches in between shots. So you are looking at shots 6-13 without patching at all. No seating problems whatsoever.

I cleaned the bore with three cleaning patches afterward. No kidding. Two wet solvent patches and one to dry. You could not get a black spot on patch number four.

This group was fired from bean bag rests off a plywood table. I was pretty solid but the group could get smaller. It was smoking hot outside and things were miserable. So my shooting could probably be better. And pistol bullets just aren't designed to fly 100 yards. The .452 diameter Hornady rifle bullet will probably print a noticeably smaller pattern than these .430 XTP's. 

Still, putting 8 shots inside a 1.5" extreme spread at 100 yards without a flyer is pretty impressive. Especially through a muzzleloader without patching in between shots. So I am stoked to say the least!

I will be fine tuning the rifle with the .452 diameter rifle bullets next week. Ill be experimenting with different powder charges and trying a couple different types of primer. Ill be taking my Caldwell rifle rest and setting up a solid table too. I am hoping to get a ten shot pattern inside 1" with no patching in between shots. That is a pretty tall order but I think I can get close. This rifle is a very sweet shooting gun and will really perform when you mind all the details.

• Like 3
  • well done 2

This is my hunting rifle, but, I'm only good out to around 30 yards and beyond that, won't take the shot with my bow.  . Upstate NY and the Central region is pretty dense and if it's not a bow, its a 30-30 for me.

Bow.jpg

Edited by Cooper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cooper said:

This is my hunting rifle, but, I'm only good out to around 30 yards and beyond that, won't take the shot with my bow.  . Upstate NY and the Central region is pretty dense and if it's not a bow, its a 30-30 for me.

Bow.jpg

I love archery. I went on several elk hunts in the Pecos wilderness with a bow but never fired an arrow at one. It is super thick there too and a shot past about 30 yards is rare.

That is why I bought the inline muzzleloader to hunt. The season is just after bow season so you are still in the rut and can call them up. And big fat bullets crash through the brush a lot better than an arrow. So it is a good compromise.

The muzzleloader is comparable to a 30-30. Or a .44 magnum. But you have such a big range of bullets and powder charges you can work with you can turn it into something a whole lot more if you want to.

Have you taken a deer with a bow? That is pretty awesome if you have! 

I have hunted them with a bow and even drawn the bow at a few deer but have never released an arrow at one. I'm just not confident in the weapon despite the fact that it is every bit as lethal as a rifle. I have no problem taking any animal with a rifle but I just don't feel I am qualified to kill with a bow. I have shot grouse and turkey with it. And I spend thousands of hours shooting fish with a fishing bow. But I don't think I will ever shoot at a game animal with one. Maybe a javelina one of these days. 

Do you guys have a season for inline muzzleloaders? I have been told that the seasons back east are often "primitive arms only" and there is even restrictions on primers for inlines in some places.

When my son bought his rifle there were several different models to be compliant with different rules. He looked at rifles at the sporting goods stores and then shopped the internet for prices. When he clicked on the rifle he wanted we noticed it was for musket caps only. It was then we learned something about how the laws back east were structured.

Mike Furness is the crabby moderator that is so hard to get along with here. He hunts deer back east every year too. New Hampden or Toad Island or one of those states in New Easterland. He might be fun to talk to about hunting in your neck of the woods.

...Assuming your woods back east have necks. :)

• Haha 1

Yes, we have a special season for any muzzleloader (trad or inline) after req season, for bow we have a month and a half before reg season and also couple weeks after season.

No, my closest to taking a safe shot with the bow was 2 years ago, afternoon, after taking that picture above in the am, when my hunting buddy was a 100 yards or so from me and he had 2 bucks chasing a doe (early season) jump right over him with no chance of a shot. I heard them coming and they became aware of me. The smaller buck was off to my right in brush, the larger (big) one right in front of me, say 25 yards, staring at me down HEAD on.    

Number 1, I did not feel I had a good enough shot with him  head on. His head was down, (I don't feel comfortable with a front chest shot) he was snorting and stomping his front feet. 

Which brings up Number 2,  he was actually scaring me, I though for sure he was going to charge. With a gun, he would have been my biggest, with a bow I was just trying to figure an escape route if needed.

My biggest so far was with a Ruger Bisley in 45 Long Colt (which I wish I still had) which at that time I was reloading. These were reloads you could not fire out of a weaker Single Action 45LC. ( I can shoot them out of my present, a Ruger Vaquero) .. Long story short, nice chest shot a 20 yards that put him right down and out, like I like it. All my rest were with a rifle.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cooper said:

Yes, we have a special season for any muzzleloader (trad or inline) after req season, for bow we have a month and a half before reg season and also couple weeks after season.

No, my closest to taking a safe shot with the bow was 2 years ago, afternoon, after taking that picture above in the am, when my hunting buddy was a 100 yards or so from me and he had 2 bucks chasing a doe (early season) jump right over him with no chance of a shot. I heard them coming and they became aware of me. The smaller buck was off to my right in brush, the larger (big) one right in front of me, say 25 yards, staring at me down HEAD on.    

Number 1, I did not feel I had a good enough shot with him  head on. His head was down, (I don't feel comfortable with a front chest shot) he was snorting and stomping his front feet. 

Which brings up Number 2,  he was actually scaring me, I though for sure he was going to charge. With a gun, he would have been my biggest, with a bow I was just trying to figure an escape route if needed.

My biggest so far was with a Ruger Bisley in 45 Long Colt (which I wish I still had) which at that time I was reloading. These were reloads you could not fire out of a weaker Single Action 45LC. ( I can shoot them out of my present, a Ruger Vaquero) .. Long story short, nice chest shot a 20 yards that put him right down and out, like I like it. All my rest were with a rifle.

I hear you man! Archery can be rough! Especially in the thick woods. Stuff just happens. And when it happens it is so close you can smell it!:laught16:

It is always a big thrill though. You learn more about hunting in one unsuccessful archery hunt than you do in a lifetime of successful rifle hunts. It is an education for sure!

It’s true, I seem to be more,,, for lack of better words,, relaxed when I bow hunt. I have to sit quieter, be still, walk slower, cover my sent more, use the wind more, etc., Same for my hand guns too.

With a rifle, I can reach out a lot further and, granted you still have to be “watchful” but, it’s just for me a quicker pace.

• Like 1