Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bedrock Bob

Hunting rifles!

2 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Beautiful gun Luke. I myself love the old wood stocks but i hate dragging them around lol. I mainly pack around my Howa .223 with the hogue stock so i dont ding it. 

The Howa is a little shooter isn't it? A lot of guys are carrying those rifles and I am impressed. And you know I love that Hogue stock...

• Like 1

Here's summary...

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=2273

I bought this gun more for the history and what it represents than for shooting food.

Plus you never know what might happen in the future, right? :ROFL:  :poostorm:

If I was going to get back into hunting animals, I would certainly go with a smaller caliber like .243.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The Howa is a little shooter isn't it? A lot of guys are carrying those rifles and I am impressed. And you know I love that Hogue stock...

Bob that Howa rifle is the most accurate out of the box gun i have purchased. I have the older model so it has the nice strong safety lever. The new ones are just a bent strap now and they bend easily. And it came with the semi bull barrel. Now they are a regular barrel unless you order it with the semi bull barrel. Thats my coyote pea shooter.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Here's summary...

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=2273

I bought this gun more for the history and what it represents than for shooting food.

Plus you never know what might happen in the future, right? :ROFL:  :poostorm:

If I was going to get back into hunting animals, I would certainly go with a smaller caliber like .243.

That 30-06 is a great deer gun Luke. Play with the ballistics a bit and it is great. Great elk caliber too. That is a pretty gun though, maybe too pretty to drag around the hills. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Here is the finished product.

dope.JPG

I have shot about 100 rounds to develop the matrix. I shot a few rounds to get in practice and then zeroed the rifle. Then I shot at targets spaced at 50 yard intervals with the ammo I will hunt with. I did two tests on two different days and got pretty much the same results. So now I know just how much my bullet drops at each distance. 

I then calculated the drop in MOA for each 50 yard interval. Then I translated that into "clicks" on the scope. So if I need to I can just dial in the scope for each range.

The first column is yardage. The second column is bullet drop (or rise). The third MOA. The fourth is the correction in clicks.

And the fifth column is the estimated wind drift at each yardage based on a 10 mph. cross wind. It is a pretty good tool to estimate windage.

So all I need to make a good shot is an accurate range. 

I have never used a dope sheet when hunting deer or elk. And I rarely even take out the range finder. But I was taught to do it in preparation for the hunt and after so many years I still do it. Tradition I suppose, handed down from my father. Anyhoo, the rifle tuned up nicely and I feel confident I can make the shot in most circumstances. My loads shoot pretty well...The bullets are not the most accurate but they are fine for the hunt. Confidence is high.

I have my brass sized, prepped and in the tumbler. Tomorrow I load 50 rounds and I am ready for elk and deer. We start scouting for the herd next Tuesday.

Its on.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
In the wilderness a man is measured by the depth of his heelprint, the arc of his bullets and the diameter of his turds. What he stuffs his pipe with is no one's business but his.
  • Like 3

Last year I ordered two boxes of rifle bullets from Midway. They were packed in one of those padded envelopes. When I got the package it had been damaged badly. One of the boxes inside was burst from the impact and bullets were rolling around inside the packaging.

Anyone who has ever seen one of these little bullet boxes knows how tough they are. It was dropped (or ran over) so hard it left the imprint of the bullets in the plastic of the box and split the plastic at the hinge.

DSCN0422.JPG

These bullets do not fly well. Some have obvious dents and flaws. But many show no damage at all and fly inches out of the pattern. 

I am using them for the drop tests and fouling shots. My rifle always lets the first couple of rounds from a clean barrel fly high and to the left. I generally shoot a few jugs before the hunt to dry out the bore and leave it a bit fouled. So these bullets are being used for purposes other than accuracy shots.

DSCN0415.JPG

Here is the final data:

Lapua cases with Fed. Match primers, necked and trimmed. 165 gr. Sierra SBT Game King bullets over 55.5 gr. IMR 4350. I put a crimp on all the case mouths to insure the bullets in the magazine do not shift in the case after the first shot. This also improves neck tension and evens starting pressures. The bullets are seated .010 behind the rifling at 3.360 OAL. 

I went out and bought a new box of bullets that had not been run over by a forklift. These should hold a lot tighter group. I am finishing the loading and will be shooting at stuff over the next couple weeks. If I print any excellent shot groups or bust any gallon jugs at distance I will post some more photos.

The weather broke and it is jacket weather in the mornings. Above 6K feet it is brisk baby! The elk are bugling their roasts off and locking horns. It looks like this hot summer is finally over and play weather is upon us!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 2

Rugar has a new carbine out, 9mm PC take down, they will take Glock Mags. I'm getting me one. Before Kalif. bans the damned things. Big 5 has them for $599.00 Grubstake

• Like 1

I had a high point 9mm  carbine , lots of people talks bad about them but it was good , fired every time I pulled the trigger.....migh5 get another one.

27 minutes ago, grubstake said:

Rugar has a new carbine out, 9mm PC take down, they will take Glock Mags. I'm getting me one. Before Kalif. bans the damned things. Big 5 has them for $599.00 Grubstake

Sounds interesting. Take down?, Hmm. Maybe it would fit in my Go Bag?

It will, look it up :Rugar pc carbine, they have some VIDS. on utube. Grubstake

I was under the impression that California already banned magazines over three rounds for semi auto rifles? Is that just for the AR platform or what?

My son had a Ruger 9mm semi auto rifle. It looked like the Mini 14 ranch rifle but had a completely different action... Kinda like a Ruger 10-22. It was not a "takedown" rifle but I believe it would accept a Glock magazine. The magazine sure looked like a Glock mag.

It was a fun gun for plinking. I am not sure what else you would do with a gun like that. The down side was nearly impossible to take apart and the action fouled badly. After a few hundred rounds you had to disassemble it and clean out all the glick from that smoky pistol ammo. I don't know how this new weapon strips but make sure you can remove the bolt and get it back in without yoga lessons. Pistol ammo, especially the junk 9mm you get these days, is as dirty as heck and will stuff up an action fairly rapidly.

It was accurate out to the point it went subsonic (65-70 yards) and had zero recoil so we used it to bust bottles. The sound wave interrupted the flight of that little fat bullet a lot more than a .22 so it lost a lot of accuracy past that point. If you were shooting off a hill the bullet would drop rapidly along the curve of the ground and if you were shooting into a hill it would rise. So it was not a very good long range gun at all. But as long as the bullet had the proper velocity it would hit a soda can consistently out to about 75 yards or so.  That is a function of the round and not the rifle though. I would expect ANY 9mm rifle to behave in exactly the same way at ranges where the bullet slowed to under the speed of sound.

Some handgun cartridges lend themselves to rifle rounds well. The .44 and the .357 immediately come to mind. The 9mm coupled with the semi auto action is kinda alien engineering for a rifle but that is just one fool's opinion. I really know nothing about guns at all. 

It might make a good defense rifle for a guy who shot a Glock 9mm. I am not sure how much sense a "defense rifle" makes but it would fit the hypothetical niche if a guy could visualize one in his mind. It was mostly a fun plinker for my son before he became proficient with a handgun. Nowdays he shoots a .308 and the 30-06 at game and plinks with the .223. I think he still has a 9mm handgun laying around somewhere but we don't load 9mm and we have not shot 9mm in many moons. 

It would be a house defence gun, or a rifle to carry in my go bag. . I don't hunt. Not animals anyway. In Nam we hunted people! Grubstake

1 hour ago, grubstake said:

It would be a house defence gun, or a rifle to carry in my go bag. . I don't hunt. Not animals anyway. In Nam we hunted people! Grubstake

It looks like you have visualized a hypothetical niche! I suppose the 9mm rifle fits it perfectly. 

I don't hunt people. I don't think I could stand the taste. I don't spend much time thinking about hunting people or talking about it either. I've spent most of my life trying really hard to stay out of gunfights and have had fairly good success. I pack my "go bag" to go in the opposite direction.

Hope you have lots of targets, or not. Whatever is good for you Grubby.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 2

Its a just incase thing!. Never know a civil war might come before I die! Grubstake

It was legal to hunt people in Nam. I had Tags! Dog Tags!

And the GOV. payed me to do it! not much though. .

Edited by grubstake

1 minute ago, grubstake said:

Its a just incase thing!. Never know a civil war might come before I die! Grubstake

I don't see myself ever taking up arms against my fellow countryman. A civil war is about the last thing I'm preparing for. I have enough on my plate just keeping ahead of tomorrow. But that is just me again. 

I'm sure you will be able to ward off evil with your new rifle Grubby! 

No, just protect my wife and family. Grubstake

• Like 2