Nugget Shooter Forums

It is fluorite. Flourite is probably the most common violet mineral and one of the few violet minerals. I am going to say those are little fluorite crystals.

The proper mineral name is violetic purplite. It is the ore of concord grapes. That is what makes Mad Dog 20/20 wine so rich in fluoride.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is fluorite. Flourite is probably the most common violet mineral and one of the few violet minerals. I am going to say those are little fluorite crystals.

The proper mineral name is violetic purplite. It is the ore of concord grapes. That is what makes red wine so rich in fluoride.

Does it make a difference if the fluorite on top is yellow?

Just now, jcervay said:

Does it make a difference if the fluorite on top is yellow?

Doggone if I know. But the crystals look like little fluorite crystals and fluorite is often beautiful violet like that. That is all I m going by.

I have seen three or four different color bands in the same fluorite crystal so I would assume that colors could change pretty abruptly from one side of the rock to the other. I know a hole with red, yellow and purple crystals on the same vein.

I am just taking a stab at it. I have already given the disclaimer that I am not a mineral guy in that respect. I am just giving you my best impression based on just a photo.

I am familiar with fluorite/calcite deposits and have seen a whole lot of it. I feel pretty confident that is what it would be but someone with a lot more savvy might come along and make a monkey out of me too. That might be a completely different mineral and I might be way off in left field. 

• Thanks 1

Skip,

Let's just call it fluorite and leave it then. No use having to change the name of the thread and explain the birds and the bees to get his opinion on this one. :inocent:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Sometimes it is best to let sleeping dogs lie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Morlock said:

I'm going with flourite as well. Flourite comes in many colors, often on the same specimen.

Even individual crystals have multiple colors quite often.

• Like 1

Knowing fluorite was on the other side, my first thought was fluorite. Adam mentioned lepidolite, which is possible, but it doesn't quite look right for lepidolite, at least not to me. I still think it's probably fluorite. I could tell you with 95 to 100% certaintity if I had it in hand, but wouldn't venture to give an a definitive answer from a picture alone.

• Like 1

It is too vivid purple for lepidolite IMHO but I am not about to differ with Adam. He is the man. He is probably right.

You are right about ID from a photo with no other physical info. It is just a guess based on color and you can't really see the crystal details. It is a good exercise though.  I like taking a crack at it based on nothing but looks alone.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Saul R W said:

Rocks are like mail-order spouses.  A photo just isn't enough to determine their composition.

Yeah but a lonesome prospector will stare at a photo of either and imagine the composition. Sometimes the imagining is the issue at hand and not so much the actual composition.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1