Nugget Shooter Forums

What kind of rock is this??.. anyone, anyone....

This rock weighs in at 13.60 oz. , and is only 2-1/2" tall by 2" wide.  It looks like silver and peacock, and is heavy for it's size.  I got it out of one of the old copper mines in southern Arizona many years ago.  One of the miners had picked it up after blasting in that open pit mine.  Any ideas???  :brows::200:Gary

SAM_0596.JPG

SAM_0597.JPG

SAM_0598.JPG

SAM_0599.JPG

SAM_0600.JPG

SAM_0601.JPG

• Like 1

What is the streak color and hardness of the "Yellowish" part of the sample?  Can you get us a better picture of the  side show in photo # 3?

Chop some up and snort it.

Does the taste remind you of garlic? Persimmons? Toasted Figs?

It has stumpy crystals that look a lot like arsenopyrite. I know there is a lot of that ore at various small holes in southern Az. I am calling it arsenopyrochalcomolybdenum. Without a lot deeper digging that is as close as a guy can get from a photo and a riddle.

Well Desertpilot, looks like you're pretty much right on:  It is "Molybdenite",..  the miners just called it molly.  It is a metallic gray foliated mineral consisting of molybdenum disulfide that is a major ore of molybdenum; which is used in strengthening and hardening steel.  

1 hour ago, LowPoint said:

Well Desertpilot, looks like you're pretty much right on:  It is "Molybdenite",..  the miners just called it molly.  It is a metallic gray foliated mineral consisting of molybdenum disulfide that is a major ore of molybdenum; which is used in strengthening and hardening steel.  

Nooo way it Molybdenite.  If it was, it would have a "greasy" feel to it and the fingers in the photo would be colored "steel gray" as Molybdenite is very soft.  Molybdenite is always a metallic to sub-metallic gray color.

2 minutes ago, 4meter said:

Nooo way it Molybdenite.  If it was, it would have a "greasy" feel to it and the fingers in the photo would be colored "steel gray" as Molybdenite is very soft.  Molybdenite is always a metallic to sub-metallic gray color.

Yup. I agree.

It may be super rich in moly and have moly as the target metal in the mine it came from but it is not molybdenite. That is a sulphide ore rich in moly. Probably an arsenide or some other ide. No doubt moly ore but not molybdenite the mineral.

No telling with "pyrites" what they are or what they are an ore of until you test the stuff. I don't know much about mineral ID especially with this stuff. It is all shiny yellow fools gold to me. But I have seen a whole lot of sulphide ore and worked around a lot of really experienced miners and refiners. I am pretty convinced that iron/copper sulphides have so many alloys, forms and names that no one can really sort that stuff out. It is fun trying to look at pyrite and see if you can guess what is in there but I think it is as much hocus pocus as it is science.

I'm just blurting it out. It is JMHO and I do not mean to offend. This can be any mineral you want it to be.

I look at things elementally and I see Iron, copper, Sulphur and arsenic. That means a likelihood of moly, silver, gold. What mineral it actually is I have no idea at all. 

Well, I stand corrected....  The miner that gave it to me back so many years ago said that it was molybdenum,..??? but I have never researched it.  I just looked up molybdenite in my Rocks and Minerals book and it's description "does not" coincide with my rock, as it is not greasy, is not soft and does not leave a residue like graphite on your fingers. 

It is though, very hard, although foliated, very solid (weight-wise), appears to be natural stone that had been broken away from a much larger vein or piece.  One side appears to have been roasted??? , as it is a glass-looking greenish colored material that looks to have been molten at one time.  And considering that it was a copper mine that it came out of I would say that there is peacock copper in it as well as some silver,..  and no telling what else???

• Like 1

Its is aresnochalcomolybdenide just like all of the copper sulphide ore in SW Ariz/N.Mex. It's sulfur and money. If you are looking for a specific mineral name that is probably anyone's guess. The guy that handed it too you was telling you it was mighty rich in moly. He was not trying to tell you it was molybdenite.

He tossed an apple and you caught an orange. But you still have the rock!

It was a good post. Stuff like this is fun!

I'm not sure about your spelling???  aresnochalcomolybdenide , but I agree with the copper sulphide, etc., etc., etc.  I don't know if it was an Apple or orange, but at least I don't think that I got a lemon out of it, as it must be worth something to some rock collector somewhere.  I may put it on eBay one of these days ???

Yeah I spelled it wrong in both posts.

I looked it up in my reference material and it is spelled arsenochalcopyromolybdenite. That is the official mineral group for unidentified polymetallic sulphide ore of any kind.:inocent:

That's what I figured you where trying to say,...  I'm sort of familiar with that.  I'll have to do some more extensive research on it eventually???,....Not now though, I'm more interested in finding Gold and associated patches right now.  I just thought I'd throw it up and see what anyone had to say about it.