Nugget Shooter Forums

It looks like almost pure Chalcopyrite. I'm leaning towards some Bornite being included because a lot of the body has the pinchbeck brown color associated with Bornite. Does the color shift a bit to purple -ish when you turn it in the light?

I've seen some very similar material from a small deposit just north of Silver City, New Mexico. Being it's a copper ore it wouldn't surprise me if there were other almost identical deposits.

9 minutes ago, clay said:

It looks like almost pure Chalcopyrite. I'm leaning towards some Bornite being included because a lot of the body has the pinchbeck brown color associated with Bornite. Does the color shift a bit to purple -ish when you turn it in the light?

I've seen some very similar material from a small deposit just north of Silver City, New Mexico. Being it's a copper ore it wouldn't surprise me if there were other almost identical deposits.

I'm not seeing any purplish color too it. In the daylight I thought it looked more of a silvery blue. 

It's probably not Bornite then. I'd considered Covelite but that's not a good fit either. I'm guessing there is some zinc in the ore? The pinchbeck brown is created when copper and zinc are alloyed. I'm not seeing any real brass/gold color like you would expect with Chalcopyrite. I do see pure copper colored chunks in there but that is not Chalcopyrite. Perhaps the Chalcopyrite surface is fully oxidized and doesn't show any brass color?

Photos are tough. I'm guessing you will get some better answers than mine, there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum.

Adam?

• Like 1

After looking at the close up you posted, looks to me like you've got bits of chalcopyrite and some small bits of azurite on an iron stained quartz matrix. I'm no expert though, so might be way off.

• Like 1

I have always wondered about the various mineral classifications of copper sulphide. I just call it copper sulphide.

I know a small deposit just east of Silver City, New Mexico that mines a thousand tons of that stuff a day. :D

The various characteristics and forms of copper ore have always left my mind spinning. I have heard guys talk about the different zones and the minerals in the mine and it is mind boggling.

I can't see any real differences in most of that ore. Any of those miners at Chino can look at a sulphide and tell you EXACTY what they think it is in a second. Then they argue between themselves the rest of the day about who is right and why. It is always interesting to hear a guy identify that stuff and why he thinks it is what it is. 

The brown crystals look like sphalerite to me. Who knows what the copper cubes are. No doubt some quartz. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 2

Pictures are really hard to show any type of rock or mineral. There is definitely a brassy color and a bluish color, and a brownish color, and some oxidation 😆😆😆 it is, for sure, a curiosity of copper sulphide. The little girl in me just keeps saying "oooh shiny". Ha! 

• Like 1

Listening to guys try to identify copper sulphide minerals is like listening to wine tasters...."a hint of toasted figs" or "subtle tones of May foliage". 

The shades of blues and the tones of browns... WTF?

Its copper, Sulphur and iron with subtle hints of the leftover gravy in that skillet you left on the stove last night. Lets call it Chalcobornipyroarsenite!

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Listening to guys try to identify copper sulphide minerals is like listening to wine tasters...."a hint of toasted figs" or "subtle tones of May foliage". 

The shades of blues and the tones of browns... WTF?

Its copper, Sulphur and iron with subtle hints of the leftover gravy in that skillet you left on the stove last night. Lets call it Chalcobornipyroarsenite!

May foliage? Obviously more like April blossoms

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, jcervay said:

May foliage? Obviously more like April blossoms

…"the essence of arsenic lingers on the palate"..

Edited by Bedrock Bob
I'd say it was an '83 peacock ore from Morenci or an '86 bornite from Chino
  • Haha 1

So, Clay knows everything. And if he does not know it he goes out and learns it so he can tell you about it. Let's try to harness some of that energy...

I have heard that the surface striations on those grains of sulphide mean more than anything else when identifying it. Cubes with smooth sides mean one thing and cubes with rippled faces indicate a different class of mineral. And that by examining how the compound affects the surface of the crystal structure much can be revealed about the mineral classification as well as the potential for values in gold. 

IS THIS TRUE CLAY? Are the ripples on those crystals trying to speak to us in some strange mineral language? Is the difference between bornite and chalcopyrite analogous to dipping chips and BBQ flavor?

Anxously awaiting your wisdom!

Bob

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Because inquiring minds want to know!
  • Haha 1

I never expected a definitive answer on this or any other post. I like hearing all of your thoughts. I'm not an expert, but I like to know that your thoughts mirror my own. There never will be a final answer from pics alone.

• Like 1

Based on the mineral cleavage visible in the sample;  you have an ore of Pyrite & Galena with some iron stained quartz and feldspar.  Its a very colorful and attractive sample JC.  Be sure to display it in a well lighted area to make it a show piece.

• Like 1

Now we are just calling it "pyrite"? We are going backwards now! We are trying to hang a tag on this mineral and now we zoom way out to "pyrite"? I'm getting vertigo man!

I don't see galena at all but I guess that would hinge on the colors I am seeing in the dark mineral. Maybe it is galena. Nor do I see feldspar. Those brown crystals look like sphalerite to me. I guess they could be feldspar but you would think it is a metal crystal from the massive sulphide look of the ore. Just sayin...

Whatever it is I can smell the firecrackers. I want to throw that sucker in the hopper and make some wire out of it. Let's mine!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
With overtones of brimstone...