Nugget Shooter Forums

"Clay talks about fires and stuff"!!!

Bedrock Bob

A couple months ago I found a dandy relief map of my favorite stomping grounds. Got it for $5 at the local thrift store.

DSCN0378.JPG

The AZ/N.Mex. border runs right down the middle. Blue, Az. and Alma, N.Mex are the towns at the very center of the map.

DSCN0379.JPG

It has sweet relief. The photos really don't do it justice. The little mountains are 1/2" high on the contoured plastic.

DSCN0380.JPG

Awesome contour of the nations first wilderness! 

• Like 3

We used that relief map for public meetings during the big Gila wilderness fires in 2011 - 2012. That might be the very same one we were using, the map owner left the Hot Springs valley and gave away a bunch of stuff to the thrift store on their way out. The many other custom fire maps were destroyed but I think we still have the data used for mapping.

400,000 acres of fire fought by 120 guys on the ground. We all survived and no buildings were burned. California has their biggest fire ever at 225,000 acres with 12,000 firefighters and...

The difference? We had the 7 man hotshot half team from the White Mountain Apache!

ftapache.jpg

fire.jpg

I took both shots from the same position on the same day. 5 hotshot teams went into the canyon to save our village. 4 teams came back covered in soot and physically beat down less than an hour later. 6 hours later the White Mountain half team returned dirty singed and beat but they alone had stopped the fire and saved our homes and lives. There was no way out of the valley, firemen and residents would have burned that day without the White Mountain team.

Here is what we saw between the first and second pictures above. That's not the sun!

ridge.jpg

The dogs are Jack and Pebbles, they both survived. Jack kills skunks on sight. Good Dog! Smelly but good.

• Like 3

That was the Wallow fire that jumped the border? There were a couple guys killed at Saliz Pass saving the power lines que no? Or do I have my years mixed up?

EDIT - That was the Baldy Fire? I just looked up the dates and I was a year off. Yeah, that was something.

I remember what the weather was like during the first few days. It is a wonder the whole damned world didn't burn up. I watched that fire from the San Francisco valley burn the whole west side of those mountains in about three days.  So glad it is over and that this year has not been catastrophic. At least for New Mexico it hasn't. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 2

Mixed up. The pictures are from the Miller fire in 2011. The following year the area that hadn't yet burned in the Gila burned in the Whitewater-Baldy complex fire. Neither fire crossed the border.

Maybe you are thinking of the Romero fire in 2012 that burned less than a square mile near Corrales Bosque? That was caused by a cigarette.

I think the only forest fire in New Mexico where humans died was when the spotter plane crashed near Cloudcroft in 2000 or so?

From the Whitewater-Baldy fire in 2012.

Baldy.jpg

Edited by clay
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I thought a couple guys died at Saliz Pass on the Wallow Fire. Maybe I am wrong. That was the fire I thought you were talking about in your post. It was 2011 I believe and it crossed in from Arizona. Just like the Corral fire a few years prior. Both were huge, devastating fires. Both crossed the border from Az. There is a monument to firefighters there in that pass below those high voltage lines where they turned that fire. Maybe I am interpreting it wrong.

There have been so many in the past few years it is hard to keep track. After the Los Conchas fire it has all been a blur. There has been smoke in the air since.

I watched the Baldy fire from Cliff in 2012. It was definitely not in Corrales and was definitely bigger than one square mile. An entire horizon fifteen miles wide burned down every canyon for three days. It was something I will never forget!

The good news is those burn scars are all doing pretty well today. I hunt in the burn scar of the Silver Fire (which was the same year as the Baldy I think) and fire has actually improved it IMHO. And the Wallow and Corral scars near Reserve are looking good too.

And we managed to get by with only a few catastrophic floods. Dixon's Orchard and the Catwalk were the biggest casualties. Catwalk opened up last year and they have it 80% rebuilt. So things are not all bad. At least not here.

...I think the contour map was from a school east of El Paso. It has YISD on the frame. I think that is Ysleta Independent School District.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 2

The year following the Gila Miller fire the highest peaks in the Gila burned in the Baldy fire. All the wildlife was driven down the mountains into the burn areas from the Miller fire. 2012 was the turnaround for the bear and elk. The Gila was once again producing world class trophy bulls. The bears were everywhere, you really had to watch where you walked because all the bears had cubs.

The Miller fire cleaned out the old forest and created the richest surface growth in nearly a century. 2012 was truly a trophy season in the Gila. Fires are good if you don't burn or choke in them. I'll try to find some photos of the trophy class elk taken that year.

The Wallow fire was a monster. 840 square miles, about a third larger than the Gila fires. Nobody was killed in the Wallow fire. Most of the Wallow fire was in Arizona but there was a small crossover into New Mexico.

• Like 3

… The map Clay. The cool relief map I got for five bucks... The one I figure originated at a school in El Paso?

I know you really REALLY want to talk about fires. And tell me all about the fires I lived through too. But could we talk about the map? Please? :rolleyes:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
As bad as Jimalito I freaking swear! A lot smarter but still...sheesh!
  • Like 2

Sorry Bob.

Yeah that's a really cool map. Great score, $5 is a really good price. How many colors does it have? What's the projection?

About the thread subject - I was just following your lead in the meteorite forum. No sense in sticking to the subject if I have a good story to tell eh?

Does the map have a fusion crust? :4chsmu1:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Its a relief map Clay. It is all 3-d and contoured and sh!t. Of the @&%@&&! Mogollon Rim. I thought it was mighty cool and wanted to share. Thought someone might get a kick out of it and start a convo about maps. Or thrift shops. Or some sh!t like that maybe. :idunno::idunno::idunno:

Instead you are convinced that you knew the guy that threw it in the Goodwill bin as he was fleeing a fire.:old::old::old:  If you are going to hijack a thread you should at least try to think of a better segue than that. It is a stretch Clay. I'm just not feeling it. :nutty::nutty::nutty:

Fu<&it. Lets just talk about how much you know about fires. We can get Skip to change the title of the thread to "Clay talks about fires"and you can ramble on here instead of me. Why not? :rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
The attention span of a chimunk I freaking swear...
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm good with that Bob. "Clay talks about fires and stuff" works for me. :D

It was a good looking woman who gave it to the thrift store. I don't think she ever threw anything in her life. She just didn't have the arm for throwing. Little skinny things like bird wings.

Yeah I'm attracted to bird wing thin women and fires. Don't try to combine them. Bad crackly loud smelly stuff happens.

More details to follow.

• Thanks 1

Skip! Honestly!

Change the title of this thread to "Clay talks about fires and stuff"!!!  I thought I staked a little claim here about my map but pinche Clay Diggins jumped it! 

He is like a freaking elbow fly. You shoo him off and he flies in a tight circle and lands right back on your elbow. The rascal is just aggravating!

Between him and the Kenyan bricklayer this place is a nuthouse! I was gone a couple of years and it is like the Body Snatchers took everyone's brain or something. Holy smokes man! We have Adobe From Space, Truth affadavits from the Postmaster General, and now Clay has a psychic seizure when I show him my sweet new contour map. What next? A freaking swarm of locusts?:)

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmmmmm 2

We've had flying ant swarms here lately. I'm thinking I'd prefer locust swarms but it's too hot here for the locusts to get up enough energy to swarm. We had a bee swarm earlier this year when it was cooler. Bill took those bees away and did whatever he does to bees in private.

I've never laid bricks professionally. I doubt I would recognize a Kenyan (Sudan? Somalia?) brick layer. I did carry hod for a while but that's not good work for a lazy man. I've done some stonework but never laid up a nut house. I bet those nut houses have to be pretty tight to keep the locusts out?

Not sure about the psychic seizure comment. I make maps for a living. Showing me a plastic blow up map gets me about as excited as a working girl when you show her your goodies. We both will be polite and say stuff like "your map is sooo big" and "oooh that gets me hot" but in the end run it's just another freekin map that I've seen before. But it is a really nice big map. Congratulations on your purchase.

Edited by clay
  • Like 2
  • well done 2

It is not about how you feel about my map anymore Clay. It was never meant to be in the first place (but here we are).

We are now comparing burn scars and pissing for distance on the "Clay talks about fires and sh!t" show.

Carry on brother! I will try and fence off a conversation elsewhere. Hopefully one that does not require your intrigue and rapt attention.

:grr01::grr01::grr01::grr01:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
..may as well chat with the warts on my #$*&@
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Au Seeker changed the title to "Clay talks about fires and stuff"!!!
19 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

Looks like the sw corner covers the Nantac rim? Lots of sweet cliff dwellings and caves in that area. :200:

I have not had a lot of experience over in that area. The extreme SW corner of the map is the San Carlos Reservation and the Gila Mts. There is a big flat basin to the NW.

I bet there are a bunch of interesting spots on that map. I find it amazing how perfectly north/south the ridges and valleys are oriented in that part of Az.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Bless you for responding like a normal person! You are a kind man!

Bob, I don't know how or why you did it, but you posted the first post in Clay's topic and it didn't have anything to do with the topic title "Clay talks about fires and stuff"!!! how in the world you got off on talking about a map I'll  never know, your mind in wondering on you!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • well done 1

19 minutes ago, Saul R W said:

That's only because Aerolite didn't magnetize that part of the state.

The really bad news is they nullified the Truth Affadavit signed by the Postmaster General with that magnet too. Now all the pallasites have 190 poles and a shock vein as long as a dehorned Cushite.

None of that matters now. I am hijacking this thread and we are going to start talking about kayaks. Frickin' double kayaks with frickin' tubular frames and frickin' outboards with frickin' lasers strapped to their frickin' heads! 

:wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Better living through chemistry
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The really bad news is they nullified the Truth Affadavit signed by the Postmaster General with that magnet too. Now all the pallasites have 190 poles and a shock vein as long as a dehorned Cushite.

None of that matters now. I am hijacking this thread and we are going to start talking about kayaks. Frickin' double kayaks with frickin' tubular frames and frickin' outboards with frickin' lasers strapped to their frickin' heads! 

And just when I was about to hard rudder back on topic, too.  I was going to segue with something like, where there's fire, there's obviously loads and loads of smoke, and speaking of smoke, I bet you'd be more fun than a canoe full (a kayak wouldn't hold them all) of stoned, dehorned bulls to administer medical herbs with, for therapeutic purposes only, of course. It's enough to make me wish I hadn't stopped self herbing half a century ago.

16 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Go for it dude. It's not hijacking.

All that is covered under the "and stuff" part of my thread. You might as well bask in the genius of the addition of a fluff clause to cover whatever comes up in my New! Improved! thread.

Or is it dudette? The dizzy dancing gaydacons are making me wonder... Ya just never know on the internet?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, clay said:

All that is covered under the "and stuff" part of my thread. You might as well bask in the genius of the addition of a fluff clause to cover whatever comes up in my New! Improved! thread.

Or is it dudette? The dizzy dancing gaydacons are making me wonder... Ya just never know on the internet?

I figured those little guys were dancing on coals left by all the fires.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, clay said:

I'm not gay Clay but it is flattering that you wondered about it. Thanks buddy! :rolleyes:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Don't let this guy behind you when your bent over diggin a nugget boys!
  • Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1