Nugget Shooter Forums

Possible?

Having been a rockhound and amateur archeologist most my life, I gravitate to any unusual stones I encounter.

While out detecting in central AZ, I came across this stone that looked very out of place.

It didn't match any of the surrounding stones and when I picked it up, felt rather dense for it's size, 60gr.

It's unusually shiny almost polished looking on one side similar to chert but dark and crusty on the other.

Has no Attraction to a magnet nor does it leave any streak on unglazed porcelain.

Does it share enough characteristics with a meteorite to take the next step?

Be gentle, friends kind of like you were with the recent youngster whom presented a stone for observation.

IMG_20180807_055051018.jpg

IMG_20180807_055031229.jpg

IMG_20180807_054753205.jpg

IMG_20180807_054718797_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180807_054324317_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180807_054255266_HDR.jpg

Edited by Edge

Very gently, nope.

It is a silicate. You can see the remnants of step fractures in several places. Only silicates break with conchoidal fracture and meteorites are almost completely devoid of silica.

A perfect example of a rock that can be eliminated by its earthy features easier than it can be confirmed by its meteoritic features.

Grind a window in one corner. Go ahead and polish it up with a descending order of abrasive. You will find that this one takes a nice, glassy polish. 

Thanks for posting! It was a real inquiry with an open mind. 

• Like 1

Thanks gents. You'd think someone like myself that worked in the Earth sciences (meteorology) might know a little about geology? Sadly no, in my case.

But learning more everyday. This forum has been an indispensisible source of education and  entertainment, with countless ooohs and aaahs along the way.

Tim

🤔

• Like 3

Hey Tim!

You revealed your secret weapon and now we are going to exploit it! :)

I will discuss rocks with you and in return I want to know about halos and ice crystals in the atmosphere. I have seen some of the most awe inspiring spirits in the sky. Just like your intrigue with the stone I have an itch to scratch concerning the atmosphere. 

Tell us about parhelion!

Not on this thread. I will start one in the near future over in the prospector lounge. Now that I know your dirty little secret about meteorology I am going to expect some college educated answers to some incredible visions I have seen in the sky. You are just the guy to lean on!

See ya Tim!

Bob

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Coulda been some far out trick of the light or it might have just been God messing with me again.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Hey Tim!

You revealed your secret weapon and now we are going to exploit it! :)

I will discuss rocks with you and in return I want to know about halos and ice crystals in the atmosphere. I have seen some of the most awe inspiring spirits in the sky. Just like your intrigue with the stone I have an itch to scratch concerning the atmosphere. 

Tell us about parhelion!

Not on this thread. I will start one in the near future over in the prospector lounge. Now that I know your dirty little secret about meteorology I am going to expect some college educated answers to some incredible visions I have seen in the sky. You are just the guy to lean on!

See ya Tim!

Bob

Sun dogs and halos, I have some recall but hate to disappoint but not much of a college guy, trained in meteorology by the USAF for the daily humdrum of wx records keeping like radar, upper air, surface obs and forecasts. 2nd phase of the mission was aviation meteorology; fighters, refuelers, bombing range stuff.

Even some space shuttle mission weather and thirdly, aided in the planning of breaking our non-friend's toys and will.

Only independant climate study i completed was in evaporation trends in the SW. The salt companies loved that.

But once a meteorologist, always a meteorologist.

Heading out in the morning for a little gold digging, can't help but look up and get excited at  the prospect of those altocumulus castellanus clouds and knowing when it's time to leave the hill for home.

There I go, again...

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2