Nugget Shooter Forums

Very cool meteorite, nice matrix!!!

The story I want to hear is why the finder suspected it as a meteorite?

In the first photo you can barely see the unbroken surface and the fusion crust. If it was not for that very convincing glaze no one on earth (pun intended) would have made that rascal as a space rock.

No doubt that was the ONLY feature that carried this one forward unless there are some really sweet regmaglypts that we don't see on the back of it. 

Maybe it was the little pieces of green lunar cheese inside?

EDIT- I just realized this was an NWA. Of course you can make some broad assumptions in NWA and anything with a fusion crust is going to get a closer look by an expert. And that expert is going to pass it to another expert for opinion. 

Unless this piece was found in NWA or Antarctica I bet you would have a very difficult time getting anyone to look at it simply because it is odd. It has been my experience that no one is particularly interested in classifying any meteorite unless all the stars are in perfect alignment for them. Any of us could find the exact same material and unless we devoted our entire existence into proving it was a meteorite we could never get it on an expert's desk. It has been my experience that finding an expert willing to classify a meteorite is as difficult as finding the meteorite in the first place.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Oh crap :yikes:, should I delete this topic before Jimale see it, or else all of his rocks will be NWA11119s that rolled all the way down to Kenya???

Don't get him fired up Skip! If you mention his name he might post another piece of mud. Let's not push it. Maybe if we can get him to stop posting rocks for a couple days his beta waves will return to normal.

He finally quit howling and went to sleep. We should enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts. Like Saul pointed out he is going to chew through that rope sooner or later.

..Besides, we have bigger problems right now. We have one loose in the rec room in B wing. And the full moon isn't for another three weeks or so. Go figure.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

8 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The story I want to hear is why the finder suspected it as a meteorite?

In the first photo you can barely see the unbroken surface and the fusion crust. If it was not for that very convincing glaze no one on earth (pun intended) would have made that rascal as a space rock.

It was probably collected because it didn't look like any other rock and was only later recognized from its green fusion crust to possibly be a meteorite.

There are witnessed Aubrite meteorite falls that, had they not been witnessed, would have gone unrecognized as visitors from outer space.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Oh crap :yikes:, should I delete this topic before Jimale see it, or else all of his rocks will be NWA11119s that rolled all the way down to Kenya???

Good morning from africa,

You guys you are not fair, this  look earth rock, not a meteroite!

Look at these rocks then, what is the difference.

20180807_014302-1-1-1.jpg

20180806_180641-1-1.jpg

20180807_014649-2.jpg

1 hour ago, Jimale said:

Good morning from africa,

You guys you are not fair, this  look earth rock, not a meteroite!

Look at these rocks then, what is the difference.

The main difference I see right away is your pictures are out of focus and without sufficient lighting.

Perhaps if we all could see, "what you see", then you would have a stronger argument.

That's why many times it seems as if you're just trolling here. 

If you're so sure you've got the real thing, why are the pictures always blurry?

Edited by LukeJ
without, not with out
  • Like 2

The things I see wrong with the posts include the bad photos, but also the BS. Stuff like "soft iron sulphide inclusions" causing gas pockets in obvious volcanic rocks. Talking about "shock veins" in a slab of mud that is obviously foliated. Insisting  a broken, unweathered corner was broken off in a fall, insisting there are "metal flecks" in dozens of rocks where there clearly are none. This is more than just bad photos. The full scope of his posts match the poor photos.

Then there is the sheer volume. You could not troll as hard as he does with ten rod holders on your boat. Go back and count the rocks he has posted as meteorites. This is blatant abuse.

Then he posts mud. Just a block of flat brown mud. In response I post a Glorieta Pallasite and he tells me his karma is above collecting rocks like that. This is not just a bad photo. This is not just posting mud. This is dry humping all of our legs for fun. He posts mud but he is far above even picking up a Glorieta Pallasite!

And then Rocky starts a new thread with a really neat meteorite to discuss. We begin discussing it and who shows up with a batch of more bad photos of rocks? He hijacks a real discussion to once again bring the focus on himself, even in a thread that featured a real meteorite.

It is one thing to allow him to post adobe blocks in his own threads and claim them to be authentic. It is quite another to allow him to hijack the threads of other members. We have respected him and given him plenty of room. He seems to be unwilling to give us respect at all...not for our experience, opinions or even on our posts. We have been polite and firm. This guy knows just exactly what the score is and he is using our willingness to be polite to disrespect us. He returns our willingness to share our knowledge with thinly veiled contempt and more bad photos of building stone.

We should, at the very least, insist he not hijack threads featuring real meteorites. It is only fair to those members who try and contribute real info and real photos. No one is going to contribute here if this guy is allowed to post a half dozen bad photos of dirt clods whenever someone else starts a topic. If we are going to indulge this guy it should not be at the detriment of the contributions of the other members.

Stay in your lane Jimale. Have some respect for those who are politely indulging you. Don't hijack the threads of members who show you great respect. You may assume our capacity for abuse is bottomless but you are soon going to find out it is not. If you insist on posting your photos please do it on your own threads. Don't try to hijack other member's posts because the focus is not on you and your mudstone.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
This puppy needs a short chain.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Believe it or not Jimale, those are not NWA 11119 meteorites.  They really did not roll down from northwest Africa. Try the geology forum you may have better luck IDing your Earth rocks.

billpeters

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Rocky! That is a strange green space rock and it spurred discussion.

Let's do it again.  Sooner or later we will be able to discuss something else besides Jimale and his rocks. I appreciate your effort to do that and it added to the value of this forum.

• Like 2