Nugget Shooter Forums

Labradorite, moonstone and sheen obsidian

Here are a few stones I collected this winter. I had then sanded and was ready to put them in the pre-polish stage. The light was just right and the pan just lit up so I decided to shoot a little video.

The obsidian is from right across the road from my house. I have been collecting these little nodular merkanites since I was a youngster. I must have picked up buckets full of them. Only recently did I try to polish one. I then realized these were no ordinary obsidian. They have silver sheen like a black moonstone. Some sparkle like aventurine. Some are banded and striped. Some are silvery smoky grey and just explode with fire when the sun hits them at the right angle. I have a couple that are bigger than hen eggs.

The moonstone is from an old Apache Village in the Sierra Diablo. The ancestral home of the Warm Springs Apache. It is one of the best moonstone spots in the U.S. I have hunted deer there for the past few years and have located a few good spots where you can find nice stones. Some are water clear and have intense blue schiller. Most have a bright silver flash. Some have both. And there is a couple spots where rainbow moonstone crystals can be found. 

The golden labradorite is from a ridge in the Saliz Mts. It varies from clear to lemon yellow to amber. Most pieces are completely translucent and is often used for faceting. Some pieces show an intense blue schiller but most do not have fire. The ones that do are just awesome. You can see some yellow pieces down in the gold pan. Those are labradorite.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Well I don't know how to make the video work and I have tried and tried. My file shows an MPEG file but when I upload it, it says it is an AVI. I don't know what the heck is going on. 

Anyhoo I have some really sweet stones with lots of fire and you guys are going to have to use your imagination. 

• Like 1

I downloaded the movie Bob. The movie came through as an AVI about 342 Mb. Looks good, works fine. Sorry about the finger ouchie. I just never figured you to be a blue pan kind of guy. I like the cute blonde with the spaniel. Is that you goofing around in the dress?

I can't wait until the second installment. Will we get to see the mysterious guy in the sombrero or do I have to use my imagination for that too?

Edited by clay
  • Like 1

I had trouble initially trying to view it but got it to work. Impossible to see the fire, sheen, etc.. But my imagination went wild on the cute blonde with the spaniel. Why did you delete the best part?😉

• Like 1

I think I have four of those blue pans Clay. I generally use a black plastic Estwing for drywashing because of the large diameter but I like those blue ones. They are my go-to pan for a wet cleanup. Although I have not done a wet cleanup in a decade if I did pan concentrates I would use one of those blue ones. I figure if I can't just pick it off the table it is nothing much to worry about. My little puffer puts it all pretty much in a pile and the few stray grains in the cons are generally not worth wasting the water on. The Estwing pans with the big diameter do a lot better job if you are dry panning just because of the big diameter. If I am in a good spot I dry pan at the end of the day just to make sure I am not letting anything slip by. And if I see any fine stuff in the cons I will surely pan it out. But most particles where I am digging are plenty big to see behind the riffles and I don't need a pan to extract them. 

The warrior woman Lozen carried one of those moonstones with her until she died. She was Geronimo's sister and Nana's protector. She was born in a dugout not 200 yards from the pegmatite stock where the sandine crystals formed. Legend has it, it was her that put on Nana's ghost shirt and led the raids in New Mexico after his death. She died in a prison in Florida. A woman in Silver City who claims to be Nana's descendant has her medicine bag and inside it is a thumb sized blue moonstone that most definitely came from this same ground. 

I had told Caliche Chris the local legend of the moonstone and that rascal went out and found it! It was not an easy thing to do either and he walked a very long way looking for it for several days. He had a little info but basically he got into the general area and just beat it until he found it. He really impressed me because it is up in some remote azz mountains even by New Mexico standards. He did as good a job with the moonstone as he did with the gold and the opal. And he figured that out pretty quickly too! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I had trouble initially trying to view it but got it to work. Impossible to see the fire, sheen, etc.. But my imagination went wild on the cute blonde with the spaniel. Why did you delete the best part?😉

I have no idea. I downloaded the video and it played good. The quality was a lot poorer than on my camera. Oh well. 

I had actually wanted to attach another video but I guess I clicked on the wrong one. It was slow and it took forever, then it kicked me out and I had to do it all over including the text of the post. So I am feeling groovy that you can see anything!

Still photos are terrible to show the play of light. And the videos are not much better. That fire is elusive sometimes. In the right light those stones are all shimmering blue and silver. Other times you can't make it happen. They are like mood rings or something.

I decided to delete the entire scene with the blonde (it was an English Retreiver BTW). Although her bare bottom was not completely visible I did not think it was appropriate and it had nothing to do with rocks or minerals.