Nugget Shooter Forums

Watchful eyes in the right direction.

Got a nice phone call today by the local metal detector dealer. It seems like two reps from White's Electronics are

visiting him tomorrow. He asked if I would be interested in showing them around since 95% of the roads here are 

dirt/mud. The old Toyota with the big heavy diesel motor and 4x4 diffs with lockers likes that kind of stuff. So if it's 

not  pouring rain in the AM I'll take them to my "worked out" patch only 15 km from my house. Of the 19 total grams

I found in two years all were less than .7 grams and no more than three inches deep. We'll see if they can show me up!

Also have an area that drives all detectors crazy with minerals that change every few steps. Took another bunch of reps

there a couple of years ago and they lasted almost thirty minutes before calling it quits. Only problem now is the river I 

have to drive about 150 yards down in the middle of and it's been raining now almost every day for the last two months. 

I always wade it first to see if there's any deep holes that will swallow the Toyota. We'll see what happens tomorrow.  

• Like 1

Sounds like they have a challege ahead of them Don, teach those Gringos a lesson for sure. :thumbsupanim

Now it's almost 1730 and the reps are a no show. Don't have a clue where they are or what's up. 

Maybe tomorrow will be a winner. 

On 2/24/2018 at 3:24 PM, garimpo said:

Now it's almost 1730 and the reps are a no show. Don't have a clue where they are or what's up. 

Maybe tomorrow will be a winner. 

Still no reps?

They finally showed up Wed. the detector dealer here called me to take them to my old patch and to meet them 

at his office at 0800. I was there on time and waited for 45 minutes then I went home and called it a day. Come 

to find out the reps didn't even bring their latest greatest machine but instead an old VLF. They did it for me, no 

more visitors. 

Here's something you might find interesting. There's  plenty of these here:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/03/02/photos-burmese-python-swallowing-deer-released-by-florida-officials.html

• Like 1

Read that one already and amazing to say the least. In the USA OMG-John

Getting down a young deer hooves and all. A snake like that should have no problem swallowing up a dog.

A few years back I posted a pic of a man on a drilling crew here that laid down in the shade to take a nap after lunch

and a little later his buddies found a snake with him inside. It also showed the snake cut open and the man was

laying there in her stomach. 

Guess I'll never lay down for a nap, under a shade tree in Brazil.

• Like 1

Every morning, every afternoon or all night and all day.....RAIN AND MORE RAIN!:2mo5pow:

3 hours ago, garimpo said:

Every morning, every afternoon or all night and all day.....RAIN AND MORE RAIN!:2mo5pow:

Must be how the Rain Forest got it's name.

21-March 18 fired up the old 4000 and headed for my new prospect. Only a short distance from my house. It was a 

slow go because of the veggies caused by so much rain. About an hour into the hunt I heard the familiar sound of

lightening starting up. Looked to the East and sure nuff bad news headed this way. Having survived one lightening

strike I don't take any chances any more. Turned off the 4000, packed it back in to Toyota and headed for the house. 

Now today before 0600 the same action to the East. I'll have to do my crying in another cup of black coffee/no sugar. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Lightening is bad Ju Ju for sure.     One time I was waist deep in a lake that took a hit on the far end.  About a mile away.   You wouldn't think so but it knock me a good one.  My grand dad took a hit while out shoveling Chit in the Barn yard back in the 60's.  Blew Holes in his wool socks . He had on a pair of those waist high waders.  He Never was the same after that one.   I've had some crazy close calls with it.   Walking across a run way I walked threw this big ol puddle.   Got about 30 ft away from it and WHAM.   That puddle was GONE.   Guess it just wasn't my turn. 

We get lightening frequently, but here the trees can be up to 100 ft tall which most of the times attract lightening. Then there are times the weather radar on TV lights up an area, I'm thinking they have counted 1,000 strikes per minute already from a single storm.

Still fighting the weather. So instead of crying I decided to do some upkeep on the 4000. Took the battery out 

of the backpack, took loose the power cable and found green stuff on the threads. Been reading about the 

great stuff that vinegar is so decided to give it a try. Got an old tooth brush I use for cleaning things and a small 

cup of vinegar. Amazing how fast it gets the crud off the build up. Then decided to clean the zippers the same 

way. Couldn't believe how fast it frees up zippers that haven't been used or cleaned for months, now thier like new. 

Modem went tango uniform last Fri., five days without internet or cell service makes you do crazy things like 

cleaning battery terminals and zippers. 

Have to have goals in life so last week I had to renew my passport. Now it expires in 2028. Already making plans

on getting it replaced one month early! Might take that long to clean that kilo of gold I'm going to find with vinegar. 

• well done 1

Here's a little story for the dog lovers here. 

Good Tale ...

I am your dog, and I have a little something I'd like to whisper in your ear. I know that you humans lead busy lives. Some have to work, some have children to raise. 

It always seems like you are running here and there, often much too fast, often never noticing the truly grand things in life. Look down at me now, while you sit there at your computer. 

See the way my dark brown eyes look at yours? They are slightly cloudy now. 

That comes with age. The gray hairs are beginning to ring my soft muzzle. 

You smile at me; I see love in your eyes. What do you see in mine? Do you see a spirit? A soul inside, who loves you as no other could in the World? 

A spirit that would forgive all trespasses of prior wrong doing for just a simple moment of your time? 

That is all I ask. To slow down, if even for a few minutes to be with me. 

So many times you have been saddened by the words you read on that screen, of other of my kind, passing. 

Sometimes we die young and oh so quickly, sometimes so suddenly it wrenches your heart out of your throat. 

Sometimes, we age so slowly before your eyes that you may not even seem to know until the very end, when we look at you with grizzled muzzles and cataract clouded eyes. 

Still the love is always there, even when we must take that long sleep, to run free in a distant land. 

I may not be here tomorrow; I may not be here next week. Someday you will shed the water from your eyes, that humans have when deep grief fills their souls, and you will be angry at yourself that you did not have just "One 
more day" with me. 

Because I love you so, your sorrow touches my spirit and grieves me. We have NOW, together. 

So come, sit down here next to me on the floor, and look deep into my eyes. What do you see? 

If you look hard and deep enough we will talk, you and I, heart to heart. 

Come to me not as "alpha" or as "trainer" or even "Mom or Dad," come to me as a living soul and stroke my fur and let us look deep into one another's eyes, and talk. 

I may tell you something about the fun of chasing a tennis ball, or I may 
tell you something profound about myself, or even life in general. 

You decided to have me in your life because you wanted a soul to share such things with. Someone very different from you, and here I am. I am a dog, but I am alive. I feel emotion, I feel physical senses, and I can revel in 
the differences of our spirits and souls. 

I do not think of you as a "Dog on two feet" -- I know what you are. 

You are human, in all your quirkiness, and I love you still. Now, come sit with me, on the floor. Enter my world, and let time slow down if only for 15 minutes. 

Look deep into my eyes, and whisper to my ears Speak with your heart, with your joy and I will know your true self. We may not have tomorrow, and life is oh so very short. 

-- Love, (on behalf of canines everywhere)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/27/2018 at 1:55 PM, garimpo said:

Still fighting the weather. So instead of crying I decided to do some upkeep on the 4000. Took the battery out 

of the backpack, took loose the power cable and found green stuff on the threads. Been reading about the 

great stuff that vinegar is so decided to give it a try. Got an old tooth brush I use for cleaning things and a small 

cup of vinegar. Amazing how fast it gets the crud off the build up. Then decided to clean the zippers the same 

way. Couldn't believe how fast it frees up zippers that haven't been used or cleaned for months, now thier like new. 

Modem went tango uniform last Fri., five days without internet or cell service makes you do crazy things like 

cleaning battery terminals and zippers. 

Have to have goals in life so last week I had to renew my passport. Now it expires in 2028. Already making plans

on getting it replaced one month early! Might take that long to clean that kilo of gold I'm going to find with vinegar. 

I already tried vinegar on metal finds. Mixed half each white vinegar & water. Put about a good inch or so of silica (kind they sold years ago to mix with wall plaster) think you can still buy it at a lumber company. Poured the white vinegar/water in the jar maybe a third full. I got the idea years ago from a prospecting shop in Quartzite, except they used salt which dissolves after shaking a couple times. You don't shake hard, just turn the jar to move the material or gently swirling the jar around. Do this twice a day.

I put in a few encrusted unkown coins and a gold clip end to a tie tack. The gold clip cleaned up, internal spring still worked fine and fit a 1/2 ounce gold tie pin I had at home. The gold clip end was dug in AZ desert, so was in need of a good cleaning.

• Like 1

RD sounds like you had a good experment that went well. I'm told that the 50/50 mix with some baking 

soda added will really shine things up. Best put the soda in first because when you add the vinegar you'll 

get a small explosion of sorts. 

On 3/29/2018 at 4:37 PM, garimpo said:

RD sounds like you had a good experment that went well. I'm told that the 50/50 mix with some baking 

soda added will really shine things up. Best put the soda in first because when you add the vinegar you'll 

get a small explosion of sorts. 

Actually, baking soda will weaken the effectiveness of the vinegar, especially if using a 50/50 mixture. The idea of the baking soda probably was to give a little scrubbing action as it fizzed away. Of course, salt will do the same thing if you shake the bottle some before it dissolves. Silica never dissolves, all you need is to gently roll the jar a complete turn just a few times, holding the bottle at about a 45 degree angle. If more action is needed, swirl the bottom contents a little as you rotate the bottle around, but still be very gentle as doing it.

Edited by Red_desert
  • Like 1

I left everything in the jar for 2-3 days. The jar was a plastic container that had been before empty, full of instant coffee. If I turned the jar upside down, it leaked a little, so put over the top some thin plastic food type of wrap. Really don't need to turn upside down, only gently swirling does fine. In fact, shaking if using the silica might cause damage, especially heavily shaking. All the encrusted coins found in the AZ desert (came from a rest stop) turned out to be Lincoln copper plated zinc cents. Where the copper plating had worn thin, the vinegar mixture ate away parts of each coin. Gold comes out nice bright shiny clean. Before modern zinc pennies, treasure hunters used to tumle their coins in a rock tumbler, with the 50/50 white vinegar mixture...some added aquarium graver for scrubbing. Now they have plastic cleaning pellets (at least did back in the 1990s) available for tumbling. The zinc cents probably became encrusted from zinc reacting with the desert soil. Rest areas must have got hit hard in the past from treasure hunters.

Edited by Red_desert
  • Like 1

Headed to my old patch yesterday before the storms stated in the after noon. The illegal gate that was locked before

is now unlocked with the chain and lock hanging on the post. The fence builders got smart and put the top wire so tight

it's impossible to open the gate. On one side of the top wire they put a staple in front of the barb then some how they 

pulled in the gate so very tight. Then on the other end of the top wire they  put another staple in front of the barb on the other

side of the post. No way to get any slack on the top wire when stappled that way. 

Spent my first 17 years on a farm so I went to the Toyota and opend my took box and got my wire pliers out. Here they are

super heavy duty pliers. Went to the back side of the post and unwound the barb itself. Took about ten minutes but it worked. 

Then used the pliers and pull a little slack into the wire and bent it back over the staple to hold it in place. 

Finally got to my patch. Couldn't believe the weeds, taller than the cab on the Toyota. I figure their about 9 feet tall weeds. 

Come Sept. a lot of lightening will make some good fires there!

We have a fence pliers like that, one side is curved to a point, push under staple top edge and pry it out in seconds. I think one part of the pliers is made to grip top of staple, wiggle it then the pry end slips in.

Did a cursory drive thru at my new prospect yesterday. Trying to get deep into the area to hide my truck from a 

lot of drive bys on the road. My second problem is the area deep also has been known to host folks camping 

(hiding) in the area. Can't be to careful when alone down here. 

Sounds like you could use a blind or Hide.   Build a one sided PVC frame and hang a tarp over it.  Paint the Tarp in CAMO Scheme  to somewhat match the area.    All you  need to do is  do away with the silhouette of the vehicle.  

Edited by homefire