Nugget Shooter Forums

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never let the skunk win! It's been awhile with the rain and storm season that started last November-April. Again my little Joey DD coil at my old  patch but this time in the drainage ditch that w

1.1 gr good for VLF

Posted Images

You too Mac, where ever your camped at. 

Another birthday of sorts for me today. 2200 tonight will be 19 years without a cigarette. I'm thinking I just might quit forever since the hardest part is over. 

• Like 3

YAHOO fantastic news as just 17 years for me but best idea this ol' mining dog ever had. Kudos to anyone with the testiculiar fortitude to kick the habit  :ROFL: John

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Visited my old patch again yesterday. With a 12 month growing season here the some of 

the weeds here are over six feet high. Took the local metal detector dealer here with me 

and after three hours I thought he was going to get sick. He though his new whiz bang

German detector would get those little nuggets that my old ten year old GPX 4000 had

missed. Glad to know I didn't miss any in the spots he checked. Hard to beat a Minelab

with a Coiltek coil or a Detech coil. 

EMI's were tearing us up, worse I've ever seen. Lightening didn't help any either. 

• Like 4

Owner of the Tayopa mine complex, a former border patrolman...down in the bottom left area. Last winter about this time of year, he finally located the door of the Tayopa mine. After years of searching, found it and another of the lost mines, about 18-19 in all were once Jesuit, including an emerald mine.

Added note, he still gives me credit for input, that is forum post comments leading to discovering the entrance.

Border  Patrol class-B.jpg

Border  Patrol class-cropB.jpg

Edited by Red_desert
  • Like 1

Emerald mine?? Now THAT gets me going more than gold even. Back in the early 80s I worked with a cop buying emeralds from Bogata. Went on 1 trip to see for myself and try to establish inroads. Hahaha all we got was a stern warning, from some security force that met us at the airport, that we were to be killed and cash taken. Seems his last 2 trips were just building up the cash load them BLAM adios yankee dummies. Never left airport, just went home ALIVE. But the righteous deep green always beckons. Put one in a pendent I found with a diamond and a ruby aka my Christmas tree 1+ oz nugget I wear-John

• Like 2

I don't think the emerald mine of the Tayopa complex was found yet, probably still lost. The owner of the Tayopa believes it might be possible more deposits are unknown also. The Jesuits there in Mexico wanted to break away from Spain.

• Like 1

Emerald Cross

Emerald Cross

From the wreck of Nuestra Senora de la Atocha. Mel Fisher Museum, Key West, Florida.

Nuestra Señora de Atocha ("Our Lady of Atocha") was the most famous of a fleet of Spanish ships that sank in 1622 off the Florida Keys while carrying copper, silver, gold, tobacco, gems, jewels, jewelery and indigo from Spanish ports at Cartagena, Colombia, Porto Bello in New Granada and Havana bound for Spain. The ship was named for the parish of Atocha in Madrid.

1843126382_705885ea10_z.jpg

• Like 1

I've exchanged a number of personal emails (my Yahoo mail) about 2 years ago, with a diver living in California. Him and his brother dove on more than 100 shipwrecks, they are definitely a couple of the old timers still alive. One of his finds was a gold ring with emeralds, was on display for years in a museum...think he said was at Costa Rica.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, the California diver and his brother, recovered a few mint condition gold coins, from the Gold Rush era. Apparently the miners wore a pouch with coins leaving by boat, maybe it happened to be a side-wheeler that caught fire. Anyway, some miners tried to swim with their coins, the gold caused them to sink.

• Like 1

I have a town here that has emerald mines in town, it's about 50 miles from here.

Years ago I posted pics of the miners and how they descend into the mine. Really 

was interesting how they work, all manual labor except the cable hoist that brings

the pay dirt to the surface and also acts as the elevator. 

After the tour of the mining area we got invited to one of the owners house. Inside 

one room was a table that went around three sides of the room. That day they had

four piles of emeralds on the table for sorting, each pile was one kilo. 

On the outside of that building was several shot guns and auto rifles, 12ga. and 7.62.

• Like 3

After sorting out the real nice gemmy emeralds, you once could buy a pail or should say "bucket" of the assorted others left. They probably can't sell the leftovers now as 2nd grade, at least not real cheap by the 5 gallon bucket. Can remember back in the 1990s American gem companies offering these buckets with a heavily discounted price. If they would sell you a bucket of 2nds from the mine, getting them out of Brazil likely impossible...unless you get them locally cut, mounted on those gold crosses made from your gold nugget finds. Customs inspectors probably will notice as unusual your emerald encrusted cross, might think it can be a looted artifact.

• Like 1

It's been so long, can't say for sure how large the pail or buckets were, except enough to have a weight in lbs. Some info on the Internet says the paler ones will be of less value.

Emerald Value, Price, and Jewelry Information

Same page as link above, I once had a rough emerald (bought it) that the lower sides seemed to have pyrite colored speck inclusions. Below that type is identified as one of the Brazil varieties. Otherwise the color a bright green with golden or bronze colored inclusions along the bottom/lower sides. Not clear enough for faceting, but as a cab should have made a nice thick long oval, maybe 7-9 carats. That was long time ago, probably came from a bulk bucket sale of Brazil emeralds. Wish I still had the rough stone, only paid a couple dollars for it at a California shop.

Colombian emeralds have pyrite inclusions also, didn't see that. A little pyrite color on lower sides, doesn't hurt any in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

Only 243 lbs..??! Why bother..?:th:

Seriously though, one would think a museum or two would express interest..

Swamp

PS: When you say 'on', I think island.. But the only thing OKC means to me is Oklahoma City..

4 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Only 243 lbs..??! Why bother..?:th:

Seriously though, one would think a museum or two would express interest..

Swamp

PS: When you say 'on', I think island.. But the only thing OKC means to me is Oklahoma City..

Al it is indeed "in" OKC, just a typo on Don's part, the "i" is a next door neighbor to the "o" on the keyboard.

• Like 1
  • Au Seeker changed the title to Sharing Finds