Nugget Shooter Forums

My creek yesterday, I've crossed this a thousand times in 20 years, only beeped it yesterday. Behind me upstream is the farm house  1/4 mile and behind it about 3 hundred yards a sucker pump has been mining for three years, fine gold. The owner last year told me his % was 10 grams a week.For me he could have all the pieces I found ( rusty wire and nails). That entire creek is solid bedrock, perfect gold traps everywhere, also rusty wire.20181002_075216.jpg

My VLF underwater detector I was using yesterday. Gary Storm of Detector Pro made this at least 25 years ago with permission of Fisher Detectors. I don't remember the Fisher model he used but I think it's a coin machine. All the controls are in the ear phones, really handy.

20181002_081527.jpg

• Like 1

Tesoro used to tout their printed spiral coil as good for nuggets when on a PI detector. I'm thinking the Sandshark underwater detector had been coming with one of those coils.

Don, if you break down the stream photo, I see a couple places that look interesting.

Donstream-A.jpg

Donstream-B.jpg

In the top section, if I had a detector in my hand, wouldn't hesitate to beep around here or maybe some this area in the lower section. Of course, I'm looking at things on a 29" flat screen TV hooked up to the laptop, others might not be able to see it very well.

Donstream-A1.jpg

Donstream-B1.jpg

Went to a place today nobody in their right minds would beep, no gold but a lot of grass cuts.

20181015_143535.jpg

• Like 1
  • wow 1

Might be good snake habitat. I wonder if this is another "gold must be down deep" situation?

Edited by Red_desert

Yea RD snakes worry me a lot, especially in those conditions. Besides almost impossible to bust your way through is the worry of 

someone starting a fire upwind from you. In that pic I had just made my way through the thickest part so the Toyota was about 

another 50 feet in front of me in a clear spot. Leaving in a few minutes to check out another spot just like that one, maybe hit it

tomorrow early. 

Does look like a good place for one of those guys, to get a brush fire going quickly, a slight wind could make it worse.

Had to find somewhere that had a lot less high weeds to deal with. After doing some heavy thinking I rememered a place I knew of that has about 100 head of goats. Why anybody would want that many goats is beyound me. Then I remembered one time my dad had about a 40 acres section that he needed to clear for planting water melons so he bought a bunch of goats and put them in there. A goat will eat anything and everything, had that place cleaned up in about a month. Then he butchered a couple and sold the rest.

Went past the goat farm to another farm that looked good. Pieces of an old house and barn was all that was left. So my past coin hunting days kicked in until I remembered why coin machines have a descrimator on them. Gold machines are great at finding trash! Moved away from the trashy part and found a spot that had three small stumps with a piece of cook stove and a piece of roofing tile. Took the cook stove lid away and still got a signal, then pretty much cleaned everything away I could find away from the stumps. Still got a good strong signal, figured most likely a horse shoe. Dug down about three inches and my heart rate went up, up, up. 

Hoping to post four pics....didn't work out, go below. 

Got all four posted but out of sequence......don't matter still 212.2 grams:ya:

9 hours ago, garimpo said:

Had to find somewhere that had a lot less high weeds to deal with. After doing some heavy thinking I rememered a place I knew of that has about 100 head of goats. Why anybody would want that many goats is beyound me. Then I remembered one time my dad had about a 40 acres section that he needed to clear for planting water melons so he bought a bunch of goats and put them in there. A goat will eat anything and everything, had that place cleaned up in about a month. Then he butchered a couple and sold the rest.

Went past the goat farm to another farm that looked good. Pieces of an old house and barn was all that was left. So my past coin hunting days kicked in until I remembered why coin machines have a descrimator on them. Gold machines are great at finding trash! Moved away from the trashy part and found a spot that had three small stumps with a piece of cook stove and a piece of roofing tile. Took the cook stove lid away and still got a signal, then pretty much cleaned everything away I could find away from the stumps. Still got a good strong signal, figured most likely a horse shoe. Dug down about three inches and my heart rate went up, up, up. 

Hoping to post four pics....didn't work out, go below. 

Got all four posted but out of sequence......don't matter still 212.2 grams:ya:

Congratulations Don, almost 7 ounces :yesss:, can't beat that with the biggest stick, way to go!!! :thumbsupanim

I'll bet that old skunk will leave you alone now Don, I think you might have finally beaten him to death! :ya:

Discrimination on coin detectors is so much better than it used to be, at least depth doesn't decrease like more than a decade ago.

I think I'd mentioned tree roots a few posts back, wasn't expecting that much gold but you never know!

Old stumps on old homesteads can be good because people used them for shade to sit under in the hot sun. Farmers can hang a corn cob on a small rope from a tree branch also, points to a cache in the ground.

Edited by Red_desert
  • Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

RD when I saw the bottom of that jar I cleaned off just a little on the edge so I could get a glimps inside then I had to sit down.

At first I thought it was something a kid had burried, especially since it was upside down. 

Like I say "if it beeps dig it". 

• Like 2

I can remember way back in 6th-7th grade, visiting someone from school who lived on a farm. They grew corn and something kept getting my attention each time. I noticed up a tree, a corn cob dangling from a white cord type rope probably 3/8" thick. What really struck me as odd, there wasn't 1 kernel of corn left on that cob. Now why would a farmer who raised corn put out some corn for crows or other birds if they had fields of it to clean up on? Makes no sense right? 

I have 2 uncles and a cousin who were once into treasure hunting and metal detecting even years before me. They used to take trips, do all the things most treasure hunters do. This is a story about a corn cob they told me about. Not to discuss LRLs but my one uncle decided to buy a very expensive LRL, both of them went to an abandoned homestead to try it out. While out there playing around with their new toy, a guy drives up to talk them into trying the LRL on his property. The man had buried caches around and wanted to see if LRLs really work. To cut the story short, my uncle walked into a shed, went around once then back out. He stopped under a tree. The man told him to look up. Right above my uncle's head was a corn cob hanging from a small rope. Apparently trees around old homesteads are one of the places treasure hunters need to check for caches.

I need to mention, I've never owned any LRLs so not trying to open discussion on them whether or not they work. Only pointing out the cache possibility around old trees at the right sites.

30 minutes ago, Red_desert said:

I can remember way back in 6th-7th grade, visiting someone from school who lived on a farm. They grew corn and something kept getting my attention each time. I noticed up a tree, a corn cob dangling from a white cord type rope probably 3/8" thick. What really struck me as odd, there wasn't 1 kernel of corn left on that cob. Now why would a farmer who raised corn put out some corn for crows or other birds if they had fields of it to clean up on? Makes no sense right? 

I have 2 uncles and a cousin who were once into treasure hunting and metal detecting even years before me. They used to take trips, do all the things most treasure hunters do. This is a story about a corn cob they told me about. Not to discuss LRLs but my one uncle decided to buy a very expensive LRL, both of them went to an abandoned homestead to try it out. While out there playing around with their new toy, a guy drives up to talk them into trying the LRL on his property. The man had buried caches around and wanted to see if LRLs really work. To cut the story short, my uncle walked into a shed, went around once then back out. He stopped under a tree. The man told him to look up. Right above my uncle's head was a corn cob hanging from a small rope. Apparently trees around old homesteads are one of the places treasure hunters need to check for caches.

I need to mention, I've never owned any LRLs so not trying to open discussion on them whether or not they work. Only pointing out the cache possibility around old trees at the right sites.

Actually, the hanging cob makes perfect sense and It has nothing to do with buried treasure caches. The hanging corn cob was the back up plan just in case the farmer forgot to bring along a few pages torn out of an old Sears Roebuck catalog . . .  :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

BMc, I grew up on a farm, it doesn't make any difference if the cob is red or white use either one and you'll never forget the 

paper again!:confused0089[1]:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, garimpo said:

BMc, I grew up on a farm, it doesn't make any difference if the cob is red or white use either one and you'll never forget the 

paper again!:confused0089[1]:

Ain't that the truth! And no matter if it's a white cob when you start out, it's always red in, THE END" . . . :WOW:

• Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1
  • wow 1

Well, I guess you learn something new almost every day. I can be glad now, didn't have to grow up on the farm. It's bad enough when you're traveling through the desert and need to pull off the road to find a large enough sage brush to hide behind.

Edited by Red_desert

Guess the rainy season is here for sure. Been raining almost day and night for a week. Lightening storms like you would

never believe.:hide: Just have to grit my teeth and wait it out. :th_rain-umbrella:

• Sad 1

Last 2 days we've had snow on the ground here. They gave some kind of explanation about how the early snow came about. A recent typhoon hit the Philippines which turned up toward Siberia, it moved the jet stream causing cold artic air front down here. That's according to the weatherman... guess we'll just have to blame this one on the Russians.

Last Thursday a civil engineer friend called and said meet him at his office at 12:00 we're going for a little drive. 

What a drive it was, mud all the way. Went to an area he bought a few years ago when the lake level was right at

the bottom of the ridges he owns. Now the lake water in most places is a 1/4 mile from his now undeveloped

land. He even had wide lanes dozed for future streets, now that are really full of high weeds and brush. 

The really good part is I have his blessing to beep the entire big area and the gravel really looks good like patches 

did in the past. Now if I can get some days without the lightening and rain I'll check it out. I thought about posting 

the Google Earth coords but now I think maybe best I don't. I'll try to post the Google image later, if I can figure it out. 

• Like 2