Nugget Shooter Forums

RD exactly my thoughts but the only problem is it's state land and illegal to run a disc over it. Only thing that could help a 

little is lightening. We had some good lightening about 0330 today but also some rain that's still falling. Still to wet even

with a under water detector. 

I imagine, plants get thick covering the ground quite well at times. Roots are supposed to be a good gold trap also. I've read of prospectors searching for trees downed in storms, along the streams though...right downed tree in the right location.

Five years ago all the Brown dirt you see was under water. The water level was at the tree line at the very top of the pic. All the trees there are 6' tall. Now the water level is slowly rising.

20180814_145822.jpg

You'll need to get enough nuggets before covered with water again. :ya:

Working on it RD, those steep banks are tough on ankles and knees. 

Yeah, steep banks you must be careful.

Those almost clean banks are the best places to hunt now, especially since the temps are in the high 70's on the night shift.  A few things that are a worry like don't park in tall (5-7 foot tall dry brush), almost got my PU burned up one year because the only other place to park was in the one lane dirt road. In the day time and I was only about two hundred yards away when I smelled smoke, turned and saw flames just behind the truck and higher than the cab. 

Been gold beeping for 26 years and have been struck by snakes three times. Last night was close to four times. Heard his rattles just before stepping on him or hitting him with the detector coil. Never go anywhere out of the truck without good leather 8" top boots and leg protectors. 

Another good idea for using a under water detector is these high steep river banks are a good mix of dirt and gravel. Here to find gold that's the mix necessary. It's common to get a good slide going straight for the water except for my big pick but if that doesn't work it's in the water detector and all. Also be sure your camera and GPS are water resistant. 

Once in the day time I had someone interested in looking inside the truck but the alarm changed their mind. Still went to the auto electrical man here and had him install a speaker that can really be heard for a good distance especially at night. 

Don't use any light except when digging, lay on the ground a little ways from the coil a AA Maglight with Red lens. Still trying to figure out how to discourage mountin lions. 

• Like 2

I suppose mountain lions might be out at night, I think most of the big cat family must have good eyes in very dim light.

Shutting down my night hunting. Some of the fires have started and I don't want to get caught with a fire between me and the road. 

I had one of the prospectors here explain how they set the fires. They use a small candle held upright by a mound of dirt, then dry grass almost covering the candle, as the candle burns down it sets the dry grass on fire while their in town hours later drinking beer at the popular sidewalk bar and pick-up spot. 

Nice nugget, this one has some character also. Apparently, must be brush burning time for gold hunters. :Just_Cuz_15:

"I had one of the prospectors here explain how they set the fires. They use a small candle held upright by a mound of dirt, then dry grass almost covering the candle, as the candle burns down it sets the dry grass on fire while their in town hours later drinking beer at the popular sidewalk bar and pick-up spot" 

Good looking gold!

Sounds like some of the old "lightning" caused brush fires up at at Rye Patch . . . 

First tried getting out in reverse gear but the fire was lapping both sides of the road behind me so I stayed just almost abreast of the flames in front of me. Finally it was all closing in on both side in front so I put the Toy in 2nd and couldn't see the road for about two hundred yards, almost hit a motorcycle rider going the other way, don't know if he made it out or not, I was worried the paint on the Toy was going to curl up. Didn't have time about then for any photos!

On the post above this is what I was talking about getting trapped. 

The museum in Rio D burned down, I know that must be a long distance away.

Yes, I watched a video on the TV news, similar situation in California, fire burning both sides of the road. They finally came to a tree across the road...guys put it in reverse all the way back to their lake campsite. It' bad enough to see a video of driving through an blazing landscape, would really hate being in one like that myself.

Yea Red that straight stretch I was in stayed pretty good for awhile but ahead and behind me around the curves in the road was some bad stuff. A lot of the places I beep the only escape would be to drive the PU into the lake. Today I was cut off from getting to the lake. My wife and her sister are going down that same road tomorrow to their lake house, I told them about the fires today.

Tomorrow I'll look for all the black smoke before they go. 

Sounds like in the escape video they made in the California fire...bad stuff burning along the road and the curves, a real nightmare to live through, better to live so they kept going.

When I first got here in 1996 this town had about 22,000 residents. Then a few years later a big gold mine open up just North of here, then another one South of here. There went the small town, now around 42,000. 

Back in 96 maybe 10 prospectors with very old Whites and Garrett coin machines. I saw one that had the wires hanging out the bottom of the coil but amazing it still beeped on gold. 

Back then the gold was big and shallow so they had no problems finding good gold. Then I showed it with the first ever super detector (SD2000) in Brazil. The locals never ask the owners of the ranches for permission and they sure as shooting aint gonna pay a %. So they will park their cars, usually 4-5 to a car in another location and walk in, sometimes a couple of miles to walk in. 

Then I show up and start asking the ranch owner for authorization, never got turned down and always paid them 10%, if I used their tractor then it was a 50/50 split. 

Soon as the locals heard me driving in on the ranch where they were hiding in the trees by that time, they would see me digging  big deep holes and back filling them :Detector:so they started coming by my house asking questions. They all wanted me to buy them a big SD and they would pay me later:laught16:. Still thinking about it!

I guess now it's been three years ago we had a big prospectors meeting and in this town and four other less then 100 km from here there are over 150 prospectors and most with the big Minelabs. Most of them work at it full time. So I try to keep out thinking them even they have some advantage with grandpa's and dad's that were prospectors years ago. 

Lately I've been thinking that none of them have underwater detectors that I know of. Recently had a little luck with mine as you can see with my latest post. So today I made a trade, boots in above post. 

A couple times on my old Gold Fever DVDs, the underwater detector was used. In fact, on their Motherload claim in California his daughter was along and went swimming in the cold stream while scanning holding the Excalibur detector. Needless to say, she came up hand showing a large beautiful nugget probably a 2-3 ouncer. I'm thinking she might have been snorkeling along head watching the stream bottom.

Edited by Red_desert

PYROS have burned shasta,trinity and many other calif counties to death this year. Sic animals-John

• Sad 2

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, Hoser John said:

PYROS have burned shasta,trinity and many other calif counties to death this year. Sic animals-John

They are bad this year...or worse I should say.

A lot of fires here, big black cinders all over town from the ranches burning. 

Since it's illegal to burn here the ranchers blame the prospectors and the prospectors blame the ranchers. 

Then the Military Police set up road blocks all over the place and search many of the vehicles. If they find any prospecting 

equipment it gets confiscated. Rules here are different than there about searching a vehicle, the PM just say "get out". 

2 hours ago, garimpo said:

A lot of fires here, big black cinders all over town from the ranches burning. 

Since it's illegal to burn here the ranchers blame the prospectors and the prospectors blame the ranchers. 

Then the Military Police set up road blocks all over the place and search many of the vehicles. If they find any prospecting 

equipment it gets confiscated. Rules here are different than there about searching a vehicle, the PM just say "get out". 

Sorta sounds like a constant state of marshall law, if marshall law was declared here in the USA it would be much the same with Military Police and searches, under marshall law all civil law, civil rights, and habeas corpus is suspended and the application of military law and or military justice to civilians! 

• Sad 1