Nugget Shooter Forums

Please help me identify

Those patterns are from layers of material, and the rock was shaped by water (possibly by a glacier first, but then in a creek or river).  If you take a piece of wood and turn in in a lathe into a circular shape, you will see a similar pattern from the layers, or growth rings, in the wood.

16 minutes ago, Saul R W said:

Those patterns are from layers of material, and the rock was shaped by water (possibly by a glacier first, but then in a creek or river).  If you take a piece of wood and turn in in a lathe into a circular shape, you will see a similar pattern from the layers, or growth rings, in the wood.

Wouldent that brake the lines that cross over each other on the last image ?

28 minutes ago, mababerg said:

Wouldent that brake the lines that cross over each other on the last image ?

There are processes that can cause patterns that cross one another.  One is when already deposited beds are partially eroded and then tipped at an angle (or the other way around), and then new layers are deposited on top -- Google "cross-bedding."  Also, that one line that seems to cross all the others in your fourth photo could be a crack.  And you might have some fossils in the rock.

It is a visually appealing rock.  Artsy, even.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

First of all...really cool looking rock...if you ever find another...hehe...i want one.  So, i was guessing and was about to post...and durr...saw Bob's August 2nd post having scrolled right on past...I guess we're saying the same thing( my original response bellow).  Just so you know im not trying one up anyone...you guys know way more than I do lol. 

"Couldn't it have sat in shallow water for several lengthy periods of time...perhaps being disturbed by something like an animal or flood water...each time gaining a different position?  That would seem to explain why it had different angular layers of varying degrees of staining...whatever would have stained it...maybe the standing water had a lot of iron or some other staining mineral in it?"      

• well done 1

Excellent observation. Not many guys would have taken a swing at this one. 

I think this one is an art project. Just my suspicious mind working overtime and I definitely could be wrong. 

It does not really matter. Natural or cultured, this rock was stained exactly like you said it was. Spot on brother!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Excellent observation. Not many guys would have taken a swing at this one. 

I think this one is an art project. Just my suspicious mind working overtime and I definitely could be wrong. 

It does not really matter. Natural or cultured, this rock was stained exactly like you said it was. Spot on brother!

Well the OP hasn't been back except the next day after posting, I agree it has been stained from being moved around in a environment that has stained it numerous times over the years, I usually don't divulge info only seen by staff but this poster is from Switzerland so maybe the rock was stained by rolling around in one of their famous chocolate factories!!  :89:

So I would say lick it and see if it taste like chocolate. 

Edit: I just noticed that the OP stated that they were posting from Switerland.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Well the OP hasn't been back except the next day after posting, I agree it has been stained from being moved around in a environment that has stained it numerous times over the years, I usually don't divulge info only seen by staff but this poster is from Switzerland so maybe the rock was stained by rolling around in one of their famous chocolate factories!!  :89:

So I would say lick it and see if it taste like chocolate. 

Do you see the interesting ring on the OP's finger? You will see that same unique ring on several fingers in the rocks and minerals forum during this time period. 

Just sayin...:inocent:

8 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Do you see the interesting ring on the OP's finger? You will see that same unique ring on several fingers in the rocks and minerals forum during this time period. 

Just sayin...:inocent:

I'm not sure what you're saying Bob, I looked back through some of the other posts and didn't see that same ring in any posts but maybe I missed it, got tire of looking at older posts.