Nugget Shooter Forums

Advanced Metal Detecting Prospecting Books - Tell Me Your Favorite!

Last week I started a topic on Jim Straight's bibliography and got thinking that I would like to ask everyone out there what there favorite "Advanced" books are.  I am not talking about the book that tells you to keep your coil level and low, or dig here books.  Books that give methods, techniques, or other tips that you don't really know about until you go out and learn them on your own.  (An example for me would be that I never really knew about raking an area and removing a layer of dirt to get even deeper, but after reading that it completely makes sense.)  Other books that would be good are geology, geomorphology and hyrdogeology for "detectable nuggets."  Sure we can use USGS and State GeoSurveys to find areas that have gold, but a lot of gold out there is fine and undetectable, I want books (pubs) on the formation of nuggety gold!.  I haven't really seen or been able to research any info like that.  I do have the basic grasp, but I love to read in the offseason and learn as much as I can to help on the hunt, plus I am ready for some advanced reading.  Kind of sucks to skim through the first half of a book because it only talks about how to swing a detector :D

Tell me your Favorites!  Lets make a list!

• Like 1

Ores and Orogenesis is a good one.  It doesn't teach anything about running a detector or a drywasher, but understanding the mechanics of how gold ends up where it does is pretty darned important to the whole nugget-seeking enterprise.

The collection was printed as Arizona Geological Society's Digest 22, Ores and Orogenesis: Circum Pacific Tectonics, Geologic Evolution, and Ore Deposits, by Jon Spencer and Spencer Titley, et al (2008).  I bought the hard copy back in 2009 or so, and used copies, though not inexpensive, show up from time to time at the usual online venues (Amazon currently lists Digest 22 for $257).  The collection can also be had as PDF download on the AGS website (annual membership required, but it's a bargain for the superb old and new scholarly and not-so-scholarly articles).  Digest 22 is probably the society's best digest ever.