Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Morlock

Aluminum Ant Colony Casting

Just watched a few of these videos on aluminum ant hill casting. Interesting but where do these people come up with these ideas?

Poor ants!!! I'm surprised the EPA doesn't ban this practice.:rolleyes: Just kidding. Seriously though, I had no idea these colonies we're that extensive and aesthetic.

• Like 1

LOL,  Some guy was blurking Aluminum in his yard.  Some Az. Bull ants got up his pant leg.  Revenge is Mine said errr Someone.  Ant Ant Casting was born ?  I seen one video of them using something to cast Fire Ant mounds and the dang things went down Yards never mind ft. 

• Haha 1

I was shocked to see how deep and wide some of these ant castings are.

Maybe I have found a use for all the lead bullets I'm finding.  I actually found a lead tire balance weight yesterday.

I've tried to drown ants out with a hose, and not effective.  I guess getting rid of the colony with molten metal works.

13 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Maybe I have found a use for all the lead bullets I'm finding.  I actually found a lead tire balance weight yesterday.

I've tried to drown ants out with a hose, and not effective.  I guess getting rid of the colony with molten metal works.

Lead would be a little easier to melt.

I think you better get beeping...that's going to take a lot of bullets!

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

I noticed the soil in both videos is sandy which is the main reason why they turned out like they did. If you had other types of soil like rocky or clay, it seems like they would turn out differently. It would be interesting to see how they would turn out regardless.

My dad does this. He has poured some really cool stuff. Aluminum is used because its readily available and cheap. He just saves all of the aluminum cans and foil and melts it down. And aluminum flows better through the colony. He will dig them out then clean them up then he powder coats them and mounts them on cool plaques. 

Dan, I'd like to see some photos of his castings. There seems to be different types and I'd like to see what category his fall into.

• Like 1

Ill get him to send me some pics. 

He does all red ant colonies. Thats what we have here mainly. 

I wonder what other animal holes would look like.  The inground wasps nests, the scorpion holes, and spider holes.  Also, some of the rodent holes.  Probably not enough aluminum in the world to fill a ground hog hole.  I capped one once with mud because a harmless gopher snake was living in it and scaring my wife and kids, and my neighbor came over a few days later saying he had snakes coming out of the ground hog holes.

chrisski

you should consider yourself lucky you had snakes coming up out of your ground hog holes.

AzNuggetBob

Ant Grenades :  Mix  two oz of Chlordane Powder ( No Longer obtainable, Known in the State of California to do the normal evil stuff ) with one oz  of smokeless Powder works.  Dump it down the Ant Mound.  Fuse cover with a brick.  Ignite and Vacate.  The burning powder Gasifies the Chlordane and forces it down into the mound.  You will see smoke coming up out of the dirt for 10 or more feet from your source.   Never had them come back. 

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1