Nugget Shooter Forums

I ain't sure ,

azdigger

went out to coin hunt this morning, took Equinox 800 and 6 inch coil...no coins . So I went by and old mining area with huge tailings, set the Nox in Prospect 1 and went at it , was quiet, not hitting a lot of anything, then I got a loud signal so I dug...was a little piece of lead , kept going .  Got a different sound but I dug it , turned out to be part of a copper bullet skin.  Then I got a nice loud hit, reading a solid 2...dug , moved it, moved it some more, finaly got in the scoop...Not sure, it is not magnetic and looks like I can see gold....just not sure. but it was fun.

Fri Jul 27 09-29-39.jpg

that is my best pic I could get , but not folded , no reaction to a magnet either.

It goes in a bottle listed as ?? gold...don't matter mine I found    :ya:

I would stick it in muriatic acid for a while to see if that cleans it up.  Definitely doesn't look like any gold I have seen.  But I am hopeful for ya!!

Andyy

I don't know what that is but I bet it is an old gold plated algo that is nearly rotted away. 

I have found a hatfull of old gold plated stuff that has bad tarnish and just a few spots of gold plating left on it. They are copper alloy stuff and some are so corroded you cant see any original shape to them. Just a splash of color here and there. They look a lot like that. Most you can still see a little of the original shape and can identify them as jewelry. Others are just blobs.

Little unidentified blobs of anything man made are "algos". I think you have a gold plated algo.

The shape of your piece does not scream "GOLD" .  If that color is gold it is a piece of plated metal. It isn't placer gold or any type of gold ore for sure.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
To enrage the snowflakes

I ain't sure either. imho it looks fabricated and possibly folded. But just like trying to indentify rocks and minerals sometimes, it's hard to do unless you have it in hand

Don't have any acids or anything so I put it in my collection and will just keep looking...gave a very strong signal on my Equiox and it was a solid 2 in Gold 1....sounded good anyway...cheap thrills.

Thanks All

White vinegar works great. Just wash it with water and a toothbrush then dry it off and soak it in a bowl of vinegar. You can clean it as much as you want without a nasty acid reaction. Thats all we use for our relics we find. Just dont use it on old coins.

• Like 3

If it is plated it is on a copper alloy. Just soak it in vinegar for a few hours and rub on the gold a bit. You should be able to clean enough of the crud off right around the gold to see rotten copper under it.

Sometimes the little flecks of plating come right off with the vinegar. it gets under the gold in that rotten copper and flakes it off. But if it is gold plate you can use simple white vinegar to descale the substrate and see better.

• Like 1

Just now, nugget108 said:

White vinegar works great. Just wash it with water and a toothbrush then dry it off and soak it in a bowl of vinegar. You can clean it as much as you want without a nasty acid reaction. Thats all we use for our relics we find. Just dont use it on old coins.

We posted at the exact same time. Great minds think alike!