Nugget Shooter Forums

Your suspicions are 100% accurate. I would agree that it is some sort of rock or stone. Definitely not a fish. It looks to be dark in color but this may just be due to the lack of light colored constituents that make up the rock. :rolleyes:

I am going to say a volcanic rock with some sort of silicate or calcite inclusions. It is difficult to tell from a photo alone. It could be a weathered granite. It does not look like anything out of the ordinary to me.

What makes it odd in your opinion?  Was it unlike all the rest of the rocks around it or does it have certain features that you think are out of place?  

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Thanks for the comment even if the first part was snarky... sorry its not solid gold. :P

2 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I am going to say a volcanic rock with some sort of silicate or calcite inclusions. It is difficult to tell from a photo alone

Funny because we found it up North in Wisconsin black river.

It does not look like anything out of the ordinary to me.

What makes it odd in your opinion?  Was it unlike all the rest of the rocks around it or does it have certain features that you think are out of place?  

The odd thing out was the divots in it and the odd color of it to the other stones. Volcanic rock is out of the question...probably granite like you said.

should i delete thread now?

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, Mr.Fisher said:

Volcanic rock is out of the question...probably granite like you said.

should i delete thread now?

Thanks! 

Actually it could be vesicular basalt with all the "divots" in it. 

Morlock, Thanks for commenting.

8 hours ago, Morlock said:

Actually it could be vesicular basalt with all the "divots" in it. 

I see, thats pretty cool. Maybe I thought it was odd because its my Seer Stone those Mormons keep talking about! :P

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Mr.Fisher said:

Morlock, Thanks for commenting.

I see, thats pretty cool. Maybe I thought it was odd because its my Seer Stone those Mormons keep talking about! :P

Interesting.  What do you see when using this stone?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Greg L said:

There was a time I would have laughed at stuff like this.

I just have to know.  The Mormon rock, if I'm not mistaken, was carried around by Joe Smith in his hat, and occasionally he banged it (the rock, not the hat) against his forehead for inspiration (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  I guess a lumpy forehead is a small price to pay for enlightenment.

• Like 1

It is definetly a strange story, never knew any of it until just now. He was from upstate New York where this all happened, interestingly a straight shot down I 90 from where I am. I think there is something to the whole ley line concept, but who knows. Until some weird things happened to me, I would have thought the dumbest thing I ever heard.

• Like 2

Seer stones are a very common and ancient concept. Light that passes through stones is said to have power. Images seen through translucent stones are supposed to offer insight and knowledge. Mineral crystals are used as lenses and prisms. The crystal ball was a moonstone that could capture a spirit in the fire.

Then Joseph Smith decided to go straight to the source and just bang an opaque rock against his head to see stuff. What a concept! This idea revolutionized the use of seer stones and allowed those without clear rocks or good vision to be a part of it. I think it is a very creative twist on an ancient custom.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Seer stones are a very common and ancient concept. Light that passes through stones is said to have power. Images seen through translucent stones are supposed to offer insight and knowledge. Mineral crystals are used as lenses and prisms. The crystal ball was a moonstone that could capture a spirit in the fire.

Then Joseph Smith decided to go straight to the source and just bang an opaque rock against his head to see stuff. What a concept! This idea revolutionized the use of seer stones and allowed those without clear rocks or good vision to be a part of it. I think it is a very creative twist on an ancient custom.

I guess it's a new twist on getting stoned -- go directly to the heart (or rather, brain) of the matter, skip the chemicals, and manipulate all those excitable, impressionable young neurons, axons and dendrites via mineralized brute force physical impact.  I accomplished much the same thing as a youngster by trying to parachute off a small mesa.  The hallucinations were astoundingly revealing, and so was the headache, but I chose not to repeat the process.

• Like 4

A vision quest is a vision quest. You can hang from a pole, fast and pray, eat a mushroom or bang your head on a rock. Humans seek wisdom and perspective. Those that do not cease to be human somehow.

Gotta get wise as you are getting old. It is your obligation for the gift of a long life. Men who strive for wisdom and truth sleep peacefully in the dirt. Men who do not seek wisdom in their life can't get comfortable in their graves.

Some must hang from a pole to get there. Others just have to hit their head on a rock. I guess the objective matters a lot more than the path you take. The most important thing of all is to choose a path to knowledge, whatever path that may be, and follow it!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Just felt like it
  • Like 1
On 7/24/2018 at 2:34 PM, Saul R W said:

Interesting.  What do you see when using this stone?

I believe it helped me with rapid spiritual growth at first and now I usually have an intense feeling of love and/or infatuation to it when I hold it. The weird thing is that I feel like it (conduit stone) is sending it back to me just as intensely. At the risk of being ridiculed I will also say I put it under my pillow sometimes and have really clear, realistic, uncontrollable, spontaneous,  clairvoyant dreams.

21 hours ago, Saul R W said:

I just have to know.  The Mormon rock, if I'm not mistaken, was carried around by Joe Smith in his hat, and occasionally he banged it (the rock, not the hat) against his forehead for inspiration (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  I guess a lumpy forehead is a small price to pay for enlightenment.

Haha maybe I should try to duck-tape it to my forehead before i go to sleep 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mr.Fisher said:

I believe it helped me with rapid spiritual growth at first and now I usually have an intense feeling of love and/or infatuation to it when I hold it. The weird thing is that I feel like it (conduit stone) is sending it back to me just as intensely. At the risk of being ridiculed I will also say I put it under my pillow sometimes and have really clear, realistic, uncontrollable, spontaneous,  clairvoyant dreams.

I have a sometimes bad habit of mocking unusual practices, but I really shouldn't. It should be known that I mock myself, too, just usually under my breath. I mean, heck, my folks have been cutting our infant sons for 3,500 years to seal a covenant with the G-d we came to know when we were nomadic escaped slaves wandering in the desert. If we didn't have 150 or more generations of father-to-son cultural legacy tying us to the practice, I might consider sleeping with a stone and getting to eat bacon, too, to be the wiser choice.

So, please don't take my kidding around too seriously. I don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Mr.Fisher said:

Stones are powerful. They often open doors to avenues we don't fully understand. Many objects have power, direct power or absorb it. Not only stones. Very few people are tuned in enough to feel much of it though. 

It is not so much the rock but a chord struck between you and the rock. It lowers a threshold within you and allows you to receive input you are otherwise not getting. It is not uncommon. Some use a rock to take them there. Some use a rock to get them back. It is up to you to decide whether it is a blessing or a curse. Don't let anyone else decide that for you.

The rock is obviously a common rock as far as that goes. If you were to describe it's physical characteristics it would be easy for any of us to classify it. There is no way to do that from a photo. We would all be happy to do that for you if you would like to. But that is not really what you are looking for is it?

If you are interested in its mineral makeup I am happy to discuss that, but we can just as easily discuss the things that make this stone unique.

...I wasn't being snarky because the stone was not gold. Gold does not impress me much any more. I was being snarky because identifying the stone is obviously not why you are here. Now that we know the characteristics that set this rock apart from all the others it is an entirely different conversation. And that is gold my friend!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Just for the hell of it
  • Like 1

Stones are powerful. They often open doors to avenues we don't fully understand. Many objects have power, direct power or absorb it. Not only stones. Very few people are tuned in enough to feel much of it though. 

It is not so much the rock but a chord struck between you and the rock. It lowers a threshold within you and allows you to receive input you are otherwise not getting. It is not uncommon. Some use a rock to take them there. Some use a rock to get them back. It is up to you to decide whether it is a blessing or a curse. Don't let anyone else decide that for you.

The rock is obviously a common rock as far as that goes. If you were to describe it's physical characteristics it would be easy for any of us to classify it. There is no way to do that from a photo. We would all be happy to do that for you if you would like to. But that is not really what you are looking for is it?

If you are interested in its mineral makeup I am happy to discuss that, but we can just as easily discuss the things that make this stone unique.

...I wasn't being snarky because the stone was not gold. Gold does not impress me much any more. I was being snarky because identifying the stone is obviously not why you are here. Now that we know the characteristics that set this rock apart from all the others it is an entirely different conversation. And that is gold my friend!

I originally got on here to get opinions on what material it was made out of. People gave great information about it and your comments are very open minded and thought provoking.. I guess bringing up the seer stone aspect of it got this thread off topic. Sorry for that and thank you for taking the time to say these things. 

Would it be possible to find what material it is made out of without compromising the stone? e.g cutting into it or a chunk off
You said it was a volcanic rock or weathered granite, this kind of information was what I was looking for.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

No cutting needed. Is it a granular matrix or smooth like ceramic? A granite is just that...granular. If it is smooth like hard mud and those holes are gas pockets (vesicles) filled with crystalline minerals it is probably a volcanic (a vesicular basalt with silicate or calcite inclusions). You may feel it could not be a volcanic rock but it certainly looks like one. Both Morlock and I pegged it as a volcanic based on looks alone. That is as good as it gets without more info and probably your best first guess.

A real good close up photo is probably all we need. If a guy could see the texture of the matrix it would probably tell the tale.

Rocks are determined by their physical properties. Examining hardness, weight, fracture, luster crystal habit, etc. is how you get there. You can determine if this rock is a bit lighter or heavier than average just by the feel of it and that would help. Telling us if the constituents in the matrix were glassy or dull. If it was a homogenous matrix or a mixture of different constituents. If the matrix was granular, smooth, or vitrified and glassy. It is those types of things that determine what type of rock it is.

There are several non destructive tests you can do to find out more info. First see if it is magnetic (a basalt can be. A granite not so much), you can get an atomic absorption analysis done that will tell you a lot about the elemental composition. A simple XRF gun can tell you if it contains certain metals. All these may provide interesting insight but are probably not needed to classify this rock. None will damage it. 

Line it up for a glamor shoot. Take some close ups so we can zoom in tight and see the matrix. We might have you poke an inclusion with the point of a needle or ask about the shape of the granules in the matrix. Honestly, this one is easy to identify and if we could see it better we could probably say for sure. If not we can give you a lot better idea than just a guess based on shape and color. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Because I feel ornery

Hope everyone is having a good Friday!

On 7/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

Is it a granular matrix or smooth like ceramic?

Yes, I would say so. Its smooth as in there are no jagged ends or parts.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

Line it up for a glamor shoot. Take some close ups so we can zoom in tight and see the matrix.

I hope these are sufficient.

20180727_174514[1].jpg

20180727_174552[1].jpg

20180727_174605[1].jpg

20180727_174711[1].jpg

• Like 1

O.K here is what I am seeing. I hope we will get some discussion on this so you can get some other perspectives.

The stone is a high silica rock. You can see it is glassy and vitrified material. It takes a polish. The constituents are crystallized.

The pockets are where minerals popped out and left a socket. 

It has been polished and tumbled in water for some time. 

It looks to be olive green in color with some reddish specks in there. You can see subtle color changes indicating different colored granules in the matrix. You cant see the individual grains too well but the texture suggests a granular stone that has been smoothed down. It is not pitted (other than the obvious sockets). It was roughly broken and is not completely worn smooth. It is comprised of hard jagged crystals of high silica minerals.

I think this is a pegmatite. It had some inclusions in it and they have released in weathering leaving these pockets. Everything has been smoothed and blended by water action.

Pegmatites often are olivine rich and contain inclusions like garnet, feldspars, gemstones, etc.etc.  They are a type of granite and this may actually be a granite. I am not sure the distinction between the two is really important here. I think either is appropriate but we might get some discussion on that. (There are lots of guys here that are much better at ID than me and I try to keep them pissed off. That way if I am wrong they jump to correct me).

A pegmatite with olivine came from deep in the earth. Probably from some volcanic event. I am not familiar with your local geology but granites are common mountain building rocks. And glacial action delivered a bunch of rocks to those lake regions so I suppose a rock may have travelled a long way on ice to get to your river.

Or someone else could have carried that rock and dropped it in the river. If the rock is what it is to you, it makes sense it could have been that to someone else, que no?

It is a cool rock. I would have picked it up too. The pattern the pockets make are almost braille. It looks like they may fit fingertips. At 2" it is just the right size for a pocket stone.

Make yourself a medicine bag and carry it with you. I will post a photo of the stones in my medicine bag on this thread after we have a chance to discuss your stone. 

Anyhoo, that is my identification and why I think that. I hope we have some other rockhounds chime in. It is a special rock no matter what it is. Far rarer than gold for sure and it deserves a discussion. This group may not ever see another like it and I think we should give this our best shot. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob

A forum member showed me a 60X Lopue with a built in LED lights both white, and fluorescent.  Looks like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/60X-Magnifying-Loupe-Jewelry-Jewelers-Pocket-Magnifier-Loop-Eye-Coins-Led-Light/111482956740?epid=1758712143&hash=item19f4e6ebc4%3Ag%3AxTIAAOSwR0JUOAWc%3Asc%3AUSPSFirstClass!85388!US!-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=X60+jewlers+loupe+flourescence&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

If that is green olivine in the rock, it will look like a gem under the loupe.  After observing specimens under the loupe, it opened up a whole new world. A lot of the pictures you see of good specimens are actually magnified.  This says blue light for watermark, but the one I got, which may be the same, also has a blue fluorescent light that will show fluorescent samples.  There's some very specific UV frequencies to bring out the fluorescence, so I don't know if this is the same.  With a loupe like this, the LED can be angled to produce the best view.  I like these better than the triple folding magnifying glasses.  I bought it to check my samples for gold.

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 1

Where did you find this rock?  The more specif you can be the better.  With that info we can look up the Geology map of that area.  That alone will help pin down what type of rock this is or  eliminate rock types.

You cannot always go by the color of a water worn rock as a way to determine the rock type.  As the minerals that make up the rock undergo chemical weathering you can end up with colors that are nothing like the original(s).

On 7/27/2018 at 7:02 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

O.K here is what I am seeing. I hope we will get some discussion on this so you can get some other perspectives.

The stone is a high silica rock. You can see it is glassy and vitrified material. It takes a polish. The constituents are crystallized.

The pockets are where minerals popped out and left a socket. 

It has been polished and tumbled in water for some time. 

It looks to be olive green in color with some reddish specks in there. You can see subtle color changes indicating different colored granules in the matrix. You cant see the individual grains too well but the texture suggests a granular stone that has been smoothed down. It is not pitted (other than the obvious sockets). It was roughly broken and is not completely worn smooth. It is comprised of hard jagged crystals of high silica minerals.

I think this is a pegmatite. It had some inclusions in it and they have released in weathering leaving these pockets. Everything has been smoothed and blended by water action.

Pegmatites often are olivine rich and contain inclusions like garnet, feldspars, gemstones, etc.etc.  They are a type of granite and this may actually be a granite. I am not sure the distinction between the two is really important here. I think either is appropriate but we might get some discussion on that. (There are lots of guys here that are much better at ID than me and I try to keep them pissed off. That way if I am wrong they jump to correct me).

A pegmatite with olivine came from deep in the earth. Probably from some volcanic event. I am not familiar with your local geology but granites are common mountain building rocks. And glacial action delivered a bunch of rocks to those lake regions so I suppose a rock may have travelled a long way on ice to get to your river.

Or someone else could have carried that rock and dropped it in the river. If the rock is what it is to you, it makes sense it could have been that to someone else, que no?

It is a cool rock. I would have picked it up too. The pattern the pockets make are almost braille. It looks like they may fit fingertips. At 2" it is just the right size for a pocket stone.

Make yourself a medicine bag and carry it with you. I will post a photo of the stones in my medicine bag on this thread after we have a chance to discuss your stone. 

Anyhoo, that is my identification and why I think that. I hope we have some other rockhounds chime in. It is a special rock no matter what it is. Far rarer than gold for sure and it deserves a discussion. This group may not ever see another like it and I think we should give this our best shot. 

Thanks you so much, this is some great stuff, I love it!

On 7/27/2018 at 7:24 PM, chrisski said:

A forum member showed me a 60X Lopue with a built in LED lights both white, and fluorescent.  Looks like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/60X-Magnifying-Loupe-Jewelry-Jewelers-Pocket-Magnifier-Loop-Eye-Coins-Led-Light/111482956740?epid=1758712143&hash=item19f4e6ebc4%3Ag%3AxTIAAOSwR0JUOAWc%3Asc%3AUSPSFirstClass!85388!US!-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=X60+jewlers+loupe+flourescence&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

If that is green olivine in the rock, it will look like a gem under the loupe.  After observing specimens under the loupe, it opened up a whole new world. A lot of the pictures you see of good specimens are actually magnified.  This says blue light for watermark, but the one I got, which may be the same, also has a blue fluorescent light that will show fluorescent samples.  There's some very specific UV frequencies to bring out the fluorescence, so I don't know if this is the same.  With a loupe like this, the LED can be angled to produce the best view.  I like these better than the triple folding magnifying glasses.  I bought it to check my samples for gold.

Very interesting, Thanks for the info and I will look into that.

12 hours ago, 4meter said:

Where did you find this rock?  The more specif you can be the better.  With that info we can look up the Geology map of that area.  That alone will help pin down what type of rock this is or  eliminate rock types.

You cannot always go by the color of a water worn rock as a way to determine the rock type.  As the minerals that make up the rock undergo chemical weathering you can end up with colors that are nothing like the original(s).

I wish I could remember, This trip was over a half a decade ago and I haven't been in WI since. Like I said above that it was somewhere in the Black River WI- Best of luck