Nugget Shooter Forums

Type of crystal

Have a piece that I dug out of a crystal shop. In a box marked Corundum Ruby... obviously not, but a cool piece. The top is covered by these tiny crystals. The other side and pockets  have another type, which I believe is calcite. Any ideas or thoughts? 

IMG_20180721_174027~2.jpg

IMG_20180721_193640.jpg

IMG_20180721_174037.jpg

IMG_20180721_193648.jpg

It looks like Adamite. It  resembles the material from Mapimi, Durango Mexico.... I dont know if i spelled it right...

That piece does not have much value, maybe 5 bucks

Sample image

mineral adamite.jpg

mineral.jpg

Edited by adam

Based on the crystal shape and color I think the crystals are barite, a barium mineral.  Is the sample "heavy" compared to say rock quartz of the same size?  Barite feels heavy in your hand.

19 minutes ago, 4meter said:

Based on the crystal shape and color I think the crystals are barite, a barium mineral.  Is the sample "heavy" compared to say rock quartz of the same size?  Barite feels heavy in your hand.

Not a heavy piece, I have smaller pieces of barite that are heavier than that one

25 minutes ago, adam said:

It looks like Adamite. It  resembles the material from Mapimi, Durango Mexico.... I dont know if i spelled it right...

That piece does not have much value, maybe 5 bucks

Sample image

mineral adamite.jpg

mineral.jpg

That's really close, I'll have to research adamite. Any idea on how to test that?

35 minutes ago, Morlock said:

If it's calcite,  vinegar will slowly fizz if you put a few drops on it.

Some parts react to the vinegar, but not these particular crystals. After some very careful testing to not let it drip lol

3 hours ago, jcervay said:

That's really close, I'll have to research adamite

"Thats really close?" ,  thats what it is .  Specimens are readily available and popular at rock & jem shows. The larger the crystals the more desireable.  Case closed

Edited by adam

12 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Wait... Adam is telling you it is Adamite? 

If you believe that then I have a few pounds of Robertstone to sell you. They are covered in Bobite crystals. It looks just like your specimen! 

Bobite?!?! That's hilarious 😆😆😆

• Like 2

12 hours ago, adam said:

"Thats really close?" ,  thats what it is .  Specimens are readily available and popular at rock & jem shows. The larger the crystals the more desireable.  Case closed

Not trying to argue, I believe you, I just don't know anything about adamite. And, to be fair, it's difficult to determine anything 100 percent correctly from photos. I appreciate your input and expertise, and I want to learn more

• Like 1

There is a mineral named Adamite. I'm pretty sure that was named after the original Adam and not one of the millions of his offspring joking you today. Often found at Jem shows according to Adam 12-147?

There is no mineral named Bobite. There is a mineral named Robertsite - described as "greasy and waxy".

There is a mineral reference to Clayite - described as "dull and earthly".

Edited by clay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3