Nugget Shooter Forums

Coil cover needed for GBPro 5 inch round

Kellyco.

Tom

If you look at that site, click on 5" coil as if you were going to buy it and it will show as an accessory. They do not list it separately as for a GB Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

DON'T epoxy it to your coil. just put a bead of silicone around the lip to keep dirt out. You are going to want to be able to remove it when it wears through. If it doesn't wear through, you are not "on" the gold. Need to get close to the ground.

I use enchilada sauce. Really. It fills all of the space between the coil and the cover and stops any dust from getting in. It is easy to remove the cover any time you want and rinses out with a little water. And it tastes wonderful.

You could use gravy if you don't dig Mexican food. The point is that all you need is something in there to fill up a little space and keep dirt out. 

JMHO

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2018 at 1:47 PM, H-2 Charlie said:

Anyone know where or if I can get a coil cover for my gold bug pro in a 5 inch round  ?

I NEVER used a coil cover on my GB2 6.5" coil.

With that small coil you're looking for tiny bits which means you need to get the coil itself 1/8" above the ground for maximum target detection. If you put the coil on it, you'll lose 1/8" to 1/4" in airspace and you'll miss many of those tiny pieces, imho. That extra 1/8" to 1/4" space with the added coil can make the difference between hearing a signal and not hearing one. 

9 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I NEVER used a coil cover on my GB2 6.5" coil.

With that small coil you're looking for tiny bits which means you need to get the coil itself 1/8" above the ground for maximum target detection. If you put the coil on it, you'll lose 1/8" to 1/4" in airspace and you'll miss many of those tiny pieces, imho. That extra 1/8" to 1/4" space with the added coil can make the difference between hearing a signal and not hearing one. 

I scrub that rascal across the rocks and try my BEST to grind the bottom off of it. IMHO If you aren't sliding the coil across (and pushing it through) the sand you are losing depth.

I understand that in some ground you cant bump the coil against the rocks at all due to chatter. But my technique puts the coil in contact with the ground at all times. Massaging and kneading those rocks with the coil like a cockroache's feelers. Touching and pushing on everything.  Listening to Lucifer's radio station trying to hear a piece of gold interrupting the signal. I pump the coil up and down almost as much as side to side. Especially so with the old PI machine. Coming down and touching the ground and then lifting just enough to move laterally. Not a sweep at all. Just like an ant checking out stuff with his antennae.

I use a coil cover but I have rarely worn through them. I am not sure if you really need one at all. I sure beat the edges of my old Whites GM2 coil all to hell so I put coil covers on when they are available. But on every machine I own I stay in contact with the ground as completely as possible. Even pushing the coil through soft dirt to get an extra 1/2".

I have gone through a pile of small elliptical coils for the GB2. Shorted them all inside. So the guts are a lot more fragile than the hide on them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I have gone through a pile of small elliptical coils for the GB2. Shorted them all inside. So the guts are a lot more fragile than the hide on them. 

This was a big issue years ago and I don't know if they ever fixed the problem or not.

I had three total and two of those went bonkers on me. Fortunately, I was able to get free replacements. If you still have those coils, you might want call to see if Fisher will replace them. 

19 minutes ago, Morlock said:

This was a big issue years ago and I don't know if they ever fixed the problem or not.

I had three total and two of those went bonkers on me. Fortunately, I was able to get free replacements. If you still have those coils, you might want call to see if Fisher will replace them. 

Indeed. I live about 30 miles from the lab in El Paso. I just drop them off and it saves the shipping. They have replaced every one that I have ever sent back. I think that is 3 that I sent back and a couple I just bought from Kelleyco. 

Actually I sent a couple of those shorted coils I did not return to Homefire a few years back. No telling what he did with them. 

Anyhoo, great machine for little bitty specks but they definitely had a coil weakness for many years. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob