Nugget Shooter Forums

Interesting find please help

My color perception isn't great (too many head-first dives off cliffs with homemade parachutes as a kid, trying to hang glide), but the pattern is strikingly similar to star emerald, maybe in a schist instead of granite peg?  Definitely some nice radial crystal groups.  Neat rock.  I want one.

It s defiantly a Pyrite nodule.  Do a streak and hardness test on a fresh "metallic" exposed portion, not on the dull yellowing-brown surface,  to confirm for yourself.

Just read some information regarding England's chalk quarries. Chalk's main component is calcium carbonate which is a form of limestone. The article went on to say that MANY fossilized marine examples can and are found in England's chalk quarries.! Not saying for sure that is what you have but you may want to google England's chalk quarries and take a look.

I don't think it's a fossil. The first thing that came to my mind was a goethite radial cluster that's been badly weathered. I could be wrong so we'll have to wait to hear what the steak looks like.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Randall said:

Just read some information regarding England's chalk quarries. Chalk's main component is calcium carbonate which is a form of limestone. The article went on to say that MANY fossilized marine examples can and are found in England's chalk quarries.! Not saying for sure that is what you have but you may want to google England's chalk quarries and take a look.

Those chalk quarries also produce pyrite nodules. This has the look of one of those. Needs to be tested to be certain, but it's the direction I'm leaning.

• Like 3

It is an iron concretion. Like a shaman stone or a moqui marble. A fairly common oddity. Plenty of photos on the internet to compare it with. They are spherical but often break in pieces showing a radial or concentric pattern.

It is a sweet rock. Go back and find a matched pair of complete spherical concretions and you will have a set of "shaman stones". Very good luck!