Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg L

Saul others value your opinions on this

It is my belief that certainly the black and possibly the reddish material are added cement and tar like substances. Have noticed before so took a leap of faith and scrubbed with a toothbrush and don't believe to lost any. 

IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

It is an granitic rock; the black stuff is the mineral Hornblend and the red stuff is an iron rich mineral most likely derived from the chemical weathering of the Hornblend which is iron rich.  Picture # 2 shows the classic shape of Hornblend crystals. 

This is a natural rock with no human manipulation or use of it at all.  Archeology is a very interesting Science; please take the time to learn it.

• Like 2

I agree with 4meter.  You found granite.  However, based solely on photo number 8, I was going to suggest that maybe you found Hoffa.

Greg, a decent introductory text on geology that might benefit you is Earth by Frank Press and Ray Siever.  An older edition is as good as the new.  Another book you might enjoy is In The Beginning: An Introduction to Archeology by Brian Fagan (I forget the co-author's name).  Both are worthwhile books if you're really interested in understanding rocks and human artifacts.

As for my opinion, I don't even value it all that much.  Deflation, you know?

So thought about the response. The reddish is the black crystals from inside the rock exposed to air. What exposed them? I saw you write chemical weathering or is that a catch all for IDK.

Rain water, creek water combine with carbon dioxide to form carbolic acid, which eats away at some minerals.  Iron-rich minerals in particular are susceptible to acids and water.  Quartz, the little white specks in your rock, are resistant.  That's why you see lots of white sand in creeks -- it's the quartz that isn't dissolved when the other minerals are dissolved by water and acid.

Take a plain steel nail.  Stick it in a glass of water or leave it out in the rain.  Wait a few weeks.  See the rust?  That's essentially the same red stuff you see on your rock.

Maybe I'm a complete geological moron but this is what I see. Where cortex remains intact, black. Where manipulated, red

As to what exposed them?  Chemical (acid is one example) and physical (rocks bashing together in a river is one example of this) weathering causes large rocks to become smaller rocks.  Layers and layers are bashed, picked, etched, over very long periods of time.  Every crack in the planet's crust exposes more surface area to more chemical and physical weathering, helping to speed the process along.  It's like peeling an onion.

If you look around a bit, you can see examples of weathering everywhere you go (check out a few marble statues or headstones to see what chemical weathering can do in a relatively short period of time).  And like I said, pick up a couple of books on the subject.

In theory is my interpretation plausible?

8 minutes ago, Greg L said:

In theory is my interpretation plausible?

Well, no.  A scientific theory is predicated upon known facts, and then tested to see if it adds additional facts.  The chemical makeup of the rock in your hand is very well known.  For instance, the white bits, quartz, are composed of silicon and oxygen atoms arranged in precise molecules  The amphibole, aka hornblende, is made up of well-known elements including aluminum, iron, magnesium, oxygen, hydrogen, calcium and several others.  Your rock includes other minerals, as well.  None of this fits into the "IDK" category.  It simply is.  The effects of water and freezing and friction and impacts and naturally occurring acids upon the minerals in your rock can be observed and reproduced.

If you take a wire brush to your rock, and then leave the rock out in the weather for an extended period of time, you'll find new red stuff forming.  The outer layer of the rock will gradually decompose, exposing fresh meat for weathering.  You can speed the process along by using a stronger form of the acid than that which occurs naturally.

Posted (edited)

Saul your the man but I still hear maybe

Edited by Greg L

19 minutes ago, Greg L said:

I still hear maybe

Not even close.  But don't let facts get in the way of a good opinion (apologies to MT).

Impacts, exactly . You and I are like this