Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kylejoe2048

Possible meteorite pieces?

Found this washed up on the beach a couple years ago and forgot all about it..sanded out a little window and it has fleks of another metal type it looks like..

It is slightly magnetic. Heavy and smooth.

Looks like it was once part of a bigger piece that has been broken in pieces has a thin crust on top and bottom..sides are missing.

Not detected by metal detector.

20180522_184113.jpg

20180522_180943.jpg

20180522_165521.jpg

20180521_175013.jpg

20180521_172328.jpg

20180521_172323.jpg

20180521_172017.jpg

Looks like a terrestrial ore.

Kyle,

Interesting indeed but terrestrial man-made or natural as Mike suggested. Meteorites are addicting and the fun of the hunt is key. Don't get discouraged but keep looking. Also, a very good publication, if you don't have it is Richard' Norton's, Rocks From Space. Plus, there are a hundred and one sites on the I-net as well for learning about the different kinds of meteorites, characteristics, tell-tale signs, etc. That piece has vesicles in it, meaning some sore of gas being produced. Meteorites don't have those. The color is close, I call it "poop" brown. Also, look up the streak test for meteorites, and that can help to ID them as well, but it is only a small part of ID'ing them. 

Keep looking down,

Jason

• Like 2

Awesome I will check him out! 

I originaly thought the holes may have been caused by the salt water rusting out possible iron as it was found on the beach...the 3 pieces were found maybe 20 and 30 feet apart and fit together perfectly..that in itself was worth the find even if it's from Earth haha.

There is no streak when testing top and bottom..the sides however as they were weathered leave a black streak

Thanks again!, Have a good one

From the looks and the black streak, it's probably magnetite which is an ore of iron.