Nugget Shooter Forums

IMG_20180425_115520.pngGood morning.  Been searching the net trying to figure it out but it's hard . I am from Minnesota but living Egypt . Where I live they are building and doing alot of rockblasting . Any ways I found this rock. . When searching the  forms here. I did find something like  it but thefference is there is alot of hold and bubbles in it.  I think it's green obsedine (sorry spelling). It looks like glass but it's very heavy.  It scraches glass . There is also a seed ? Or something trapped in it. Lava glass? It looks like a crystal but not see through . I will try to post a pic but it will not do it justice. 

I am sorry I am new to this and just know a little bit.  Also , being here in Egypt I have no idea who you ask but  Any suggestions  of where to gain more info . Or ideas of what it is.  I greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks so much for your time .

Rena 

IMG_20180425_115452.png

• Like 1

It's just plain old glass. The bubbles are the telltale sign.

Green obsidian is extremely rare, and almost always opaque. It never is as translucent as the piece you have.

• Like 2

Vailtribe, if you found that glass in Egypt, and not in Minnesota, it's possible that you found a piece of Judean green glass.  In Roman times, a variety of very heavy green glass was made from sand at sites along the Har HaKarmel (Carmel Mountains) foothills in coastal Judea (northern Israel).  The glass was valuable, and was sold to glassblowers throughout the empire.  The glass came out of the Judean kilns in blobs weighing several tons each, which were then broken into pieces for distribution to glass blowers who made items such as goblets and jewelry and window panes.  The goblets, et cetera, were sometimes fancified by goldsmiths (elsewhere, not in Judea).  Broken pieces of glassware made from Judean green glass can be found throughout the empire, including in Egypt.  The Vatican has the only known unbroken glassware made from Judean glass (dated to ~400-500 CE).  There was another, more valuable, green glass made near Alexandria in Roman times.

Or you might have found a melted 7-Up bottle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The thing is very big . Yea it's in Egypt . But glass dosnt scratch glass right ? 

It's about (which I had a scale) it weighs about 10-15 lbs .. I will looked up Judea glass . Thanks for the tpi . Appreciate your time and efforts ! 

Rena 

GeoJack is right, there are many types of glass with many different properties.  Jack should become the sites official glass guru. 

• Like 2