Nugget Shooter Forums

Yep I remember those and still not real sure if Terry's demise was not helped along on that RR Track in the middle of no where.

Bill, despite all the varying opinions re: T-Bone's demise, I remain optimistic that it was a regrettable case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Just my two grains worth. HH Jim

• Like 2

Jimmy M
I got a few emails about this thread.
Just to be clear, you are not Jimmy Malone. he passed away many years ago.

You can guess all day long on why Terry got hit on the tracks. I do know that when the those long trains start the down hill run from Winnemucca going west they are very hard to stop, or even slow down. many of the trains there are very long and when we would see them coming, always tried to beat them at the crossings rather than wait.  
I hunted with him a few times both in Az.and Nv. but sometimes just acknowledge each others presence with a wave at a distance.  I do know Terry's truck was thrashed, he hunted a lot and beat that truck hard. I think that little truck may have let him down one last time trying to beat the train across the tracks in Nv.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Bob, this "Jimmy M" is Jim McCulloch. Yes, Terry's truck was a used-up rolling wreck,  really too beat up for safe desert driving. Oddly, although Terry found a good deal of gold, he never seemed to have any money. At least not enough to upgrade his truck. In fact when he passed he still owed me a modest amount of money, but was unable to repay. Of the several stories surrounding his death, the version I favor, which was the earliest-told, supposedly from the train driver, was that he was closely following another vehicle racing to get over the tracks before the train got there. The train driver was of the opinion that dust from the first vehicle obscured Terry's vision. If this was the case, Terry probably never knew what  hit him. (Hopefully). The "conspiracy" and suicide theories came later. None of which I believe. Murder: the belief that Terry was murdered "for a huge stash of gold" clearly overlooks Terry's very apparent poverty. Once we were together in a restaurant in Wickenburg awaiting a gold buyer who was purchasing the previous two day's take. Until getting paid, always in cash, Terry didn't even have the price of a meal. Suicide due to depression: I don't buy that. Terry was an upbeat guy. Yes, he had recently broken up with his girlfriend, but he didn't seem too bummed about that. Also, he had hopes of getting his 27 ounce nugget back. He had already had faced that apparent loss for some time. Anyway, if the (alleged) driver of the first truck could come forward, that would answer some of the questions. HH Jim McCulloch aka Jimmy M.

• Like 4

Nice find! It looks quite a bit better now.

All the best,

Lanny

On 3/23/2018 at 3:42 AM, AzNuggetBob said:

Jimmy M
I got a few emails about this thread.
Just to be clear, you are not Jimmy Malone. he passed away many years ago.

You can guess all day long on why Terry got hit on the tracks. I do know that when the those long trains start the down hill run from Winnemucca going west they are very hard to stop, or even slow down. many of the trains there are very long and when we would see them coming, always tried to beat them at the crossings rather than wait.  
I hunted with him a few times both in Az.and Nv. but sometimes just acknowledge each others presence with a wave at a distance.  I do know Terry's truck was thrashed, he hunted a lot and beat that truck hard. I think that little truck may have let him down one last time trying to beat the train across the tracks in Nv.

AzNuggetBob

On 3/23/2018 at 9:25 AM, Jimmy M said:

Bob, this "Jimmy M" is Jim McCulloch. Yes, Terry's truck was a used-up rolling wreck,  really too beat up for safe desert driving. Oddly, although Terry found a good deal of gold, he never seemed to have any money. At least not enough to upgrade his truck. In fact when he passed he still owed me a modest amount of money, but was unable to repay. Of the several stories surrounding his death, the version I favor, which was the earliest-told, supposedly from the train driver, was that he was closely following another vehicle racing to get over the tracks before the train got there. The train driver was of the opinion that dust from the first vehicle obscured Terry's vision. If this was the case, Terry probably never knew what  hit him. (Hopefully). The "conspiracy" and suicide theories came later. None of which I believe. Murder: the belief that Terry was murdered "for a huge stash of gold" clearly overlooks Terry's very apparent poverty. Once we were together in a restaurant in Wickenburg awaiting a gold buyer who was purchasing the previous two day's take. Until getting paid, always in cash, Terry didn't even have the price of a meal. 

Gene Ralph (no relation to Chris) told me Terry did quite well years ago. He, along with Terry and Mark Anderson hunted together frequently and found substantial amounts of gold even before they got to Lunker Hill. There has to be something to explain Terry's financial predicament. One which we most likely will never know....

• Like 1

I use a cheap $20 ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon it works wonders on cleaning nuggets especially with a little jewelry cleaner added to the water

On 3/24/2018 at 2:45 PM, Morlock said:

Gene Ralph (no relation to Chris) told me Terry did quite well years ago. He, along with Terry and Mark Anderson hunted together frequently and found substantial amounts of gold even before they got to Lunker Hill. There has to be something to explain Terry's financial predicament. One which we most likely will never know....

I don't remember if I heard this from Terry or someone else but I heard he was paying his mother's medical bills. AzNuggetBob

On 3/24/2018 at 7:29 PM, dusty_nolan said:

I use a cheap $20 ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon it works wonders on cleaning nuggets especially with a little jewelry cleaner added to the water

I was removing the rock with acid not the dirt and yup I have been using an ultrasonic cleaner for many years to clean nuggets. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

I was removing the rock with acid not the dirt and yup I have been using an ultrasonic cleaner for many years to clean nuggets. 

Oh ok I thought you were just trying to clean them up. Guess I should be a little more thorough when reading the posts lol. Well hope you get it all cleaned up from the rock wish you the best of luck

• Like 1

Sweet!! That's a great piece.

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

Since HFL acid is so hard to obtain, I purchased some Whink to try on a couple specimens. It's working, albeit very slowly. Also, since it's so weak it takes quite a bit to get the results you want. In a way, working slowly does have its advantages in the sense I don't have to worry about too much quartz being dissolved..too fast. I want to leave some on but if you have a really large specimen, it might take months to get most of the quartz dissolved. 

• Like 2