Nugget Shooter Forums

You could always suspend it with just a little bit of the specie in the HF and see what it does?
Tom H.

This is after 8 hours and the continuity meter did not lie, one small chip has fallen off thus far and almost all the matrix has been removed.... I will dig out the good camera when the deed is done, I kind of like the look now.... Likely will finish it off though.

IMG_20180319_150131569_HDR_zpsqqpq8nqm.j

IMG_20180319_150154405_HDR_zpsuozqa3ob.j 

• Like 9
  • well done 1

Bill,

You did good with yours.

I've got a couple of them that I wouldn't go with the HF unless it would be all the way.  The stains in the quartz on mine add character and one of them shows the tumble shape so without the quartz it would loose definition.

Gravity may make yours brittle but a bit of strategic fastener would help it retain its structure.  It would then require a special stand for display but that is what Kristallie does.  Here is their link:

https://kristalle.com/product-category/gold-gallery/ 

Mitchel

• Like 1

Down to 11.7 grams now from 14.9, if SGT was correct I will lose another gram or two if I decide to remove more rock :arrowheadsmiley:

• Like 2

Why stop now?

In for a penny, in for a pound. Throw it back in there until its all gone. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

Down to 11.7 grams now from 14.9, if SGT was correct I will lose another gram or two if I decide to remove more rock :arrowheadsmiley:

I had a butt ugly 8.9 grammer from the Lynx area. I put it in HF for a while and it come out really nice. Lost just over 2 grams after the soak.  Kinda wish I never sold it. Oh well, live and learn.  :idunno:

Edited by SanDomingoJim
brain fog
  • Like 1

I'd say go for it Bill...You're gonna have a very valuable specimen of 90+% nugget...Talk about making a silk purse!!!!  Good job..Can't wait to see the finished nugget...Cool...Cheers, Unc

Oh man that looks great! Nice Bill.

• Haha 1

I really like the character that the quartz adds.  It gives it great contrast and protects the gold from rough handling.  Whatever you decide to do, that is one fine piece of gold.  

• Thanks 1

For a butt ugly piece, that turned out to be a really nice specimen. Congrats.

Is there someplace where you can get HFL online without all the restrictions I've encountered? 

• Thanks 1

Hunt for the ugly nuggets...Yeah!   Take all we can get.

• Like 1

Forget about my reference to Whink Bill.  I was assuming you just wanted to remove a thin film of surface stain. But for what you are working on it is clear that you are zeroed in with a good approach.  And what a beauty she is turning out to be!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Micro Nugget said:

Forget about my reference to Whink Bill.  I was assuming you just wanted to remove a thin film of surface stain. But for what you are working on it is clear that you are zeroed in with a good approach.  And what a beauty she is turning out to be!!

Thanks Martin, it is back in the acid and has been since this morning and most of the quartz is now gone. I will post a photo later of it's progress....

• Like 1

Ta-Daa...... Still weighs in at around 11 grams and just a tiny bit of quartz left to dissolve out tomorrow, the nugget is solid and beautiful as well as worth considerably more $$ now.

IMG_5185.JPGIMG_5186.JPGIMG_5187.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 6
  • wow 1

Wow!!👍

• Thanks 1

Bill's nugget made the rounds and I snuck a picture as it went by...

20180320_185111.jpg

• Like 2

Wow Billy!!! You knocked it out of the park on the HFL treat...From a mediocre specimen to a very valuable crystalline collectors' nugget...Darn near museum quality+++ ...That was worth your efforts!  WTG Bud... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mo' bettah, Bill. Good thing it didn't just crumble into dust, I've had that happen before. All this talk about acids reminds me of the time two guys came up to my booth at a Gold Show. Jimmy Sierra was with me, and the first guy asked for the recipe for Aqua Regia. I told him, and then asked him why did he need to know that? (I mean, after all, AR dissolves gold). He then showed us several really nice specimen-grade pieces of auriferous quartz, true picture rock stuff. He said they wanted to burn off some of the quartz to expose more gold. I told him that AR was the wrong acid for that, HF was what they needed. They both looked at each other as if to say "This guy [me] is a moron." And then they began to tell me as much, in very colorful terms. "No, you're WRONG, buddy, Hydrofluoric dissolves gold, and aqua regia dissolves quartz!. Even fools know that!" About to protest, Jimmy clamps a hand on my shoulder and said "They're right, Jim, they're right, YOU got it backwards." Then addressing them he said "Go ahead and use aqua regia to remove the quartz, and let us know how that works out....." To this day I wish I knew how it "worked out for them..." HH Jim

• Haha 8
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Good decision. That looks really nice!

• Like 1

I would have to look back to see who mentioned checking continuity, but I had already done that and showed strong at all random tests indicating it was a pretty solid piece (as suggested) I was a bit nervous, but Dave threw me over the edge with his penny and pound statement. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy M said:

Mo' bettah, Bill. Good thing it didn't just crumble into dust, I've had that happen before. All this talk about acids reminds me of the time two guys came up to my booth at a Gold Show. Jimmy Sierra was with me, and the first guy asked for the recipe for Aqua Regia. I told him, and then asked him why did he need to know that? (I mean, after all, AR dissolves gold). He then showed us several really nice specimen-grade pieces of auriferous quartz, true picture rock stuff. He said they wanted to burn off some of the quartz to expose more gold. I told him that AR was the wrong acid for that, HF was what they needed. They both looked at each other as if to say "This guy [me] is a moron." And then they began to tell me as much, in very colorful terms. "No, you're WRONG, buddy, Hydrofluoric dissolves gold, and aqua regia dissolves quartz!. Even fools know that!" About to protest, Jimmy clamps a hand on my shoulder and said "They're right, Jim, they're right, YOU got it backwards." Then addressing them he said "Go ahead and use aqua regia to remove the quartz, and let us know how that works out....." To this day I wish I knew how it "worked out for them..." HH Jim

Yup....some guys know it all and you just have to back off and let stupidity run its course. :)

Heck, it might have turned them into real chemists trying to get their gold back out of the solution. 
Tom H.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hot dayum! That's one gorgeous specimen, Bill! Here's to you for experimenting, for a fine result and most of all, for sharing this with all of us. :oregonian_winesmiley::shake2:

Lisa

• Like 1

Bill The nugget looks great. with some they will fall apart as the quartz holds them together. Remember Jim Malone's 23 ozer. and Terry's 24 ozer. I saw jimmy's come out of the ground. I saw Terry's before he decided to burn it with acid. They both got hydrofluoriced. they were found about a have mile apart and I'm sure they came from the same vein. they both had the same host rock. It was a mix of what looked like quartz and schist, and IMO they where butt ugly. In the end they turned out to be fantastic specimens. a few ounces lighter but beautiful.
And BTW if your wondering why the weights differed in many stories,That's why.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1