Nugget Shooter Forums

Is this a flanged button tektite? Dig Find

It may not be a tektite. You should do research for what else has been similarly found in PA.

billpeters

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Unitedstatesofamerica1 said:

is there anyway to tell if it is a flanged button tektite?

Tektites no matter the shape or where they're found are glass.

Can you determine if the one you have is glass, have you tried to shine a bright flashlight through it to see if it appears to be somewhat translucent even if it is only at the edges?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Unitedstatesofamerica1 said:

Found in Pennsylvania,

You didn't even need to post a picture with that information, the answer would have been "no".  Tektites are only found in a few specific places around the globe.

tektite_Map.png

• Like 1

Mike, those are the only Known sites...it is a big and surprise filled world...not that I disagree...nor am I arguing with you.

Moqui Marble...very interesting and once again proving how difficult identifying any object can be when using photos...

fred

• Like 2

On 3/3/2018 at 9:48 AM, fredmason said:

Mike, those are the only Known sites...it is a big and surprise filled world...not that I disagree...nor am I arguing with you.

I should have clarified, yes those are the only known sites.

Well hold on a sec read this article http://www.tektites.co.uk/bediasites-georgiaites.html. then check out the distances between Chesapeake Bay and Martha's Vineyard then check the distance between Chesapeake Bay and Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania is actually closer and Chesapeake Bay impact produced tektites as well and it is somewhat thought that if in fact the Martha's Vineyard tektites we're not brought in by a person that they may have been from the Chesapeake Bay impact just saying will food for thought.

Screenshot_20180305-153939.png

Screenshot_20180305-153928.png

Edited by Rocky