Nugget Shooter Forums

What Is This?

I'm think it's Smithsonite, a zinc carbonate, based on the "fibrous" structure seen in profile and the luster of the sample.  Try scratching the sample with a steel knife blade; if you can scratch the sample with a steel knife blade its probable Smithsonite.  That is a very exquisite sample JoshuaD.  Did you collect it yourself?

32 minutes ago, 4meter said:

I'm think it's Smithsonite, a zinc carbonate, based on the "fibrous" structure seen in profile and the luster of the sample.  Try scratching the sample with a steel knife blade; if you can scratch the sample with a steel knife blade its probable Smithsonite.  That is a very exquisite sample JoshuaD.  Did you collect it yourself?

You may have nailed it. I was firmly in the aventurine camp until I zoomed in. Now, if a knife blade fails to scratch it I'd say it's a chalcedony containing nickel or chrome.

Thank yall for the information. I found it in a box of stuff that belonged to my dad after he passed away, along with a few other rocks. I don't know where he got them.

I was able to scratch it with a knife pretty easily. I got some closer pics.

Screenshot_2018-03-02-05-35-35.png

Screenshot_2018-03-02-05-35-18.png

Screenshot_2018-03-02-05-35-08.png

Screenshot_2018-03-02-05-33-23.png

Screenshot_2018-03-02-05-35-13.png

Edited by JoshuaD
  • Like 1