Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Furness

Lesson at LSD Today

I met a real nice couple out to LSD today for a lesson on a GPZ7000 and a SDC2300. Turns out they were 'students' of mine a couple years ago when I was teaching for another company. Well after a little small talk we got down to business. The SDC was simple enough as both of these folks have been detecting for awhile now ... just needed a few adjustments to technique and then on to the big gun. Biggest complaint from my 'student' was that he could hear a  lot of static and not much else. Long and short about 10 minutes or so later he was easily hearing my 0.49 gram test nugget at about 12-14" in an air test. OK ... now go try the new settings an see what you can do. Checked on his wife with the SDC and helped her with a little hot rock target she was playing with. And yes the SDC does hear some hot rocks despite what some have said. Then off to check on the husband with the GPZ ... as I was walking over to him he had just completed unearthing a shiny yellow very flat nugget. He said he thought the new settings made a big difference and was pretty happy to have uncovered the nugget. And to make a long story short, low and behold, about 15 minutes later LSD coughed up another nice little chunk. Here's the picture of the two LSD nuggets. Oh ... and BTW ... these are the very last LSD nuggets ... They have all been found now! :old:

Bob & Cheryl 2-21-2018 cropped.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

You are like the one and only Jedi Yoda master gold hunter to that couple tonight!!!! I bet they are both ear to ear smiles right now!!! Awesome stuff man!!

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

Ok...I give up...its all gone :) Yah Right!

Way to teach them Mike.  Good to hear they got some yellow.

Tom H.

• Thanks 1

Those are nice.....   but where's yours?  :4chsmu1:

Seems like the Monster could have made it a trifecta.

Congrats to the finders and good work on your part Mike !!  :thumbsupanim

Luke

• Like 1
  • well done 1

Looks like a couple of nice pieces! I may still have to try LSD area again even though you say it's hunted out. Maybe somewhere out there one or two could still be hiding. Ha! Curious question for you... would the GM 1000 have heard those same hot-rock signals yesterday that the SDC 2300 was hearing? 

9 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

Oh ... and BTW ... these are the very last LSD nuggets ... They have all been found now! :old:

Ya funny Mike you know as well I do, there is no such thing as hunted out. :D

AzNuggetBob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing is ever hunted out... Thanks Mike and having you to count on when I am booked solid has made a big difference for our customers with you now being a truly Minelab certified trainer is a big deal when it comes to helping folks learn their Minelab Detectors. Too bad many other dealers do not see it the same way and could care less if you receive proper training after they sell you a detector and how can someone claim to be selling the worlds best technologies without someone to show you how to properly use it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was only joking about LSD being hunted out...just a poor choice of words on my part. Too many hiding spots for that to happen! I can say that if I do decide to purchase a Minelab SDC 2300 I know where to purchase it from...thanks to Bill's post above. Thumbs up to the after sale service ya'll provide :thumbsupanim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Randall said:

I was only joking about LSD being hunted out...just a poor choice of words on my part

Nothing wrong at all with your choice of words Randall. This has been an on going joke for years. LSD is about as short on gold as the ocean is short on water. Sure,  the close easy to reach parts get hit pretty well but a lot of people don't want to get under the bushes and cacti, rocks, etc that can be concealing AU. If you are still finding trash it hasn't been hunted out.

Even if the trash is gone, what lies just a little deeper? If a person is willing to put in the time and work it's still out there. May your day be golden. :black_knight_standing:

• Like 5

Outstanding Nuggets,,,,, wait, no more gold:2mo5pow:

• Haha 2

On 2/21/2018 at 10:50 PM, LukeJ said:

Those are nice.....   but where's yours?  :4chsmu1:

Usually when I do a lesson I concentrate on the students doing it right. Did I do OK by them? Actually at the very end after he told me he didn't finish the wash up to the road I did get the Monster out for about 5 minutes but the rest of the wash was vacant of gold. :old::4chsmu1:

On 2/22/2018 at 5:26 AM, Randall said:

Curious question for you... would the GM 1000 have heard those same hot-rock signals yesterday that the SDC 2300 was hearing? 

Yes Randal it would have ... but ... it would have beeped once or twice and then remain quiet. However after becoming quiet if you watched the screen while passing over the hot rock you would see the meter peg to the left indicating its still there just not making any noise. In essence discriminated it out! it is a fantastic machine and continues to amaze me the more I use it.

On 2/21/2018 at 7:48 PM, Mike Furness said:

I met a real nice couple out to LSD today for a lesson on a GPZ7000 and a SDC2300. Turns out they were 'students' of mine a couple years ago when I was teaching for another company. Well after a little small talk we got down to business. The SDC was simple enough as both of these folks have been detecting for awhile now ... just needed a few adjustments to technique and then on to the big gun. Biggest complaint from my 'student' was that he could hear a  lot of static and not much else. Long and short about 10 minutes or so later he was easily hearing my 0.49 gram test nugget at about 12-14" in an air test. OK ... now go try the new settings an see what you can do. Checked on his wife with the SDC and helped her with a little hot rock target she was playing with. And yes the SDC does hear some hot rocks despite what some have said. Then off to check on the husband with the GPZ ... as I was walking over to him he had just completed unearthing a shiny yellow very flat nugget. He said he thought the new settings made a big difference and was pretty happy to have uncovered the nugget. And to make a long story short, low and behold, about 15 minutes later LSD coughed up another nice little chunk. Here's the picture of the two LSD nuggets. Oh ... and BTW ... these are the very last LSD nuggets ... They have all been found now! :old:

I thought I dropped those out of my  pouch!

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2018 at 7:36 AM, Bill Southern said:

Thanks Mike and having you to count on when I am booked solid has made a big difference for our customers with you now being a truly Minelab certified trainer is a big deal when it comes to helping folks learn their Minelab Detectors.

Thanks Bill!  I really do enjoy teaching folks what I learned from so many before me who took the time to teach me ... you being one of the primary ones. I really believe that at this stage in my 'career' mining for gold giving to others is more important to me than me finding more yellow rocks! it gives me great satisfaction to see that "AH HAH" moment when the student finally understands how to use his tool(the detector) for the first time and especially if he/she finds that first piece of gold as well. Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of Nugget Shooter!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mike...much appreciate the feedback on the GM1000. I've been reading many favorable comments on it's capabilities and most importantly from the people who would know!

• Like 2