Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

AZ Meteorite Sells For $237,500


Recommended Posts

There are so many more out there by Meteor Crater waiting to be found, it's a shame that place got swooped up as a mining claim 100+ years ago.  I'd even pay to hunt there for a day, keep what you find.  That way they could regulate who is there and keep the area in nice condition, and raise some funds for conservation as well.

 

Too bad they "cleaned" it, I would have liked to see it in it's natural patina.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is great!! Daniel Barringer would be so pleased to see this meteorite selling for so much considering he staked his life on finding that exact iron and selling it!!! It may have not worked exactly to his favor but I believe it's a bit vindicating for his legacy. Watch a documentary or read about it,  cool history!!

IDK why the font is so big LOL sorry.

 

Edited by Rocky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

There are so many more out there by Meteor Crater waiting to be found, it's a shame that place got swooped up as a mining claim 100+ years ago.  I'd even pay to hunt there for a day, keep what you find.  That way they could regulate who is there and keep the area in nice condition, and raise some funds for conservation as well.

 

Too bad they "cleaned" it, I would have liked to see it in it's natural patina.

I also agree with you Mike as well but he did purchase the land fare and square and left it to his family. People thought he was crazy, hell if I could have purchased it back then I would have too. But it's a darn shame people can't go get those meteorites before they weather away, something has to change. I don't think any amount of hunters could change the face of the land surrounding so terribly it would ruin the site. They should issue three day permits once a year, it would drive local businesses and keep people coming back and respect and not destroy the place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Mikestang said:

There are so many more out there by Meteor Crater waiting to be found, it's a shame that place got swooped up as a mining claim 100+ years ago.  I'd even pay to hunt there for a day, keep what you find.  That way they could regulate who is there and keep the area in nice condition, and raise some funds for conservation as well.

 

 

How do you know the claim or land owners around the Barringer Crater aren't actively searching or allowing others to search for them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

How do you know the claim or land owners around the Barringer Crater aren't actively searching or allowing others to search for them?

They are actively searching, as shown in the auction these irons are big money.... but they are using drones now with thermal imaging to see the irons underground at night time, after the sun has heated them up all day. If you dig more into the historical archives of Barringer crater, there are other spots than the usual strewn field maps that large irons have been found pretty far out from the crater. And remember photography, and game hunting is still allowed out there on state lands. :yesss:

 

3.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, DolanDave said:

They are actively searching, as shown in the auction these irons are big money.... but they are using drones now with thermal imaging to see the irons underground at night time, after the sun has heated them up all day. If you dig more into the historical archives of Barringer crater, there are other spots than the usual strewn field maps that large irons have been found pretty far out from the crater. And remember photography, and game hunting is still allowed out there on state lands. :yesss:

 

3.jpg

2.jpg

You can do the same thing with gold :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...