Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite?

Hi everyone,

i have had this thing since i was about 8 years old. I always thought it was a meteorite but never new for sure. I have done my own tests to it. First of all it looks like nothing i have ever seen in a rock before. It is magnetic as seen in a photo below. It has what appears to be fusion crust on it as well. Maybe a few mm thick. 

What does everyone think? Could it be the real deal and should i find someone to test it? 

10F36D31-1B44-4688-A095-2EDEA1FCA241_zps

Thanks everyone for the replies. You just killed a 23 year old illusion i clung to :( ... haha just joking. I had a Suspicion it was slag just didnt know how to know for sure. I traded a piece of quartz for it as a kid so no big loss.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The nickel content is extremely high for it to be a meteorite. There is no meteorite called Zizbaq in the Met Bulletin. The rock you've shown has all the characteristics of a terrestrial rock. 

billpeters

On 2/16/2018 at 9:47 PM, pRoDiEuS said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. You just killed a 23 year old illusion i clung to :( ... haha just joking. I had a Suspicion it was slag just didnt know how to know for sure. I traded a piece of quartz for it as a kid so no big loss.

I wish more people handled it like you!!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I wish more people handled it like you!!

Haha well i might not have if I paid real money for it. I heard a story of a guy that paid $10,000 to someone for a brick sized “meteorite” turns out it was not a meteorite at all. I prob wouldn't have taken something like that very well lol. Education is key when buying or trading meteorites. We live and learn. 

-cheers

• Like 1