Nugget Shooter Forums

Detecting skunk but got some relics

Well, met up with Dave and James to do some exploring. Did some detecting but we all came up with a skunk.

There was a couple of mines in the area and we found some neat old junk to bring home :)
There was a snake skin in the wall of one mine and for the life of me I cannot figure out how those pack rats can move cholla cactus to cover the floor 6 inches deep. I just

look at cholla and get stuck by it????
Tom

SAM_1820.JPG

SAM_1823.JPG

SAM_1824.JPG

SAM_1827.JPG

SAM_1831.JPG

• Like 10

Sounds fun Tom. Sometimes just finding the rusty stuff is really fun. At least thats what my little guy tells me lol. Cool relics and cool pics.

So, it does look like fun.  I've got lots of relics and beach finds ... so many you don't really know what to do with them.

What do you do with yours?  We 'display' some but you begin to forget where it all came from.

Mitchel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

So, it does look like fun.  I've got lots of relics and beach finds ... so many you don't really know what to do with them.

What do you do with yours?  We 'display' some but you begin to forget where it all came from.

Mitchel

Mitchel:
 The unique finds go up on my work shop door. Not so cool ones go in a bucket that I don't hope will some day be needed to show how we do clean up the desert by metal detecting and taking out "horrible" stuff like lead bullets and other crap that are leaching into the ground water because of the irresponsible people....if you get my drift :)
Gonna have to post a pic of my work shop door. Its pretty cool.

Tom H.

• Like 3

Packrats/woodrats...think I found out how they dont get stuck...........we just need to be dehydrated! :)

The nests of desert-dwelling Woodrats, often built in and of cholla and beavertail cactus, are usually impregnable to predators, except for the Badger. The Woodrat is most vulnerable when out foraging for food, at which times a Coyote, fox, snake or owl may prey upon it.

Primarily nocturnal and vegetarian, desert Woodrats survive on a diet of spiny cactus, yucca pods, bark, berries, pinyon nuts, seeds and any available green vegetation. They rely on succulent plants for their water, since they do not have the refined metabolic and water conservation capabilities of Pocket Mice and Kangaroo Rats. They are one of the few animals that can navigate with impunity between cactus spines to feed on the juicy pads.

Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 5

I know how they do it,very carefully. that stuff is the most crazy stuff I've seen in the deserts. they seem to know. (Pack Rats)not much else will mess with them when they pack it around their nest. we call them choya balls. Ive seen some really bad encounters with it on people. we had places that had good gold and had to rake it off or if it was too deep just leave it.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

You're saying the packrats place the Cholla there?  I always thought it was the wind.  With the bee hives, I have been finding them at the outside of about one out of five tunnels I look in.  Most of the hives are long gone, but a few are active.

I also wonder about those sluicing ops like the ones you found.  I've seen a few of those, but always on dry creeks.  I wondered if they stock piled pay dirt until the rains, or perhaps that was just a chute to get the ore into a vehicle or mule to take to a mill.

With that operation, I wonder if it was a test hole, or an active mine.  I've seen a few shafts that have a metal dog tag like mark next to the shaft with an identifier.  I can't find any history on the mine, but I wonder if they were test sites to find a vein, or had actually worked on something.