Nugget Shooter Forums

Need Panning Help, first time flying..

From Upstate NY to Denver,,,, in the air. I am 60 and NEVER flown before..I know you guys can't help on that but, In Denver June 3rd to June 9th. This will be the first time west of NY State for me. I did a lot of online "looking" and I see a few public panning spots, (my pan will be in my carry on) which should work. But, I'll still ask, anyone familiar with the area, let's say and hour drive in any direction from Denver know of any really decent spot to pan? I know it's going to be a lot of greenhorns in the area like me but, a prospector has to do what he has to do.  Thanks, Coop

PS, my wife already said no metal detector on this trip.

I know you can pan and find gold on the Arkansas River west of Denver, and also at Cache Creek about 2 1/2 hours southwest of Denver, the BLM is trying to close down Cache Creek to only 6 months out of the year, as always the BLM is out to try and keep us off all of our Public Lands as they think it's their's and not OURS. :2mo5pow:

I'm sending you some contact and other info in a PM.

• Like 3

I consistently found gold in Georgia gulch outside of Breckenridge an hour west from Denver.  Can be accesed by 2wd and just absolutely beautiful country. Dig into the benchs on the sides,  when you hit rounded cobblestones in clay there WILL be gold.  Its wirery lower grade gold than what I find here in AZ but still yellow and gold. American gulch is the next wash over to the SW and had good gold recovered from it by the old timers too,  I didn't really explore that too much though because Georgia gulch was good to me. It always had water running enough to run a sluice. The drive back in is really neat because of all the huge tailing piles everywhere from dredging. You can really feel the history,  relics abound, from sluice box square nails to crevicing tools over 100 years old. Awesome place. 

• Like 4

I'm really excited to be visiting out there in early June, wife and pan in hand.

Good luck out there Cooper, if you go to Georgia Gulch p.m. me.  I'll send you a Google earth marker of the exact spot I was recovering 1/2 gram every four buckets of dirt which is very very rich. Back then I was just starting out and didnt know much and especially efficient production. So I was classifying first and carrying buckets 50' and feeding a sluice in the small stream. Now I would shovel from the dig spot straight into a highbanker and kill it all day long. 

I don't mind giving up this spot to you because, really,  I will probably never be able to go back there and highbank. If I ever get back to Breck I plan on detecting a forgotten eluvial nugget deposit on top of one of the mountains above Breckenridge. Nuggets lay hidden between the talus rocks high up at tree line. Old timers found it but couldn't exploit it because of the difficulties of pumping water up there to sluice. Those nuggets are just begging for a detector prospector to liberate them. 

• Like 6

Thanks alwaysD. Getting some good help on this and appreciated. I would dance like a drunkin sailor in a room of rum if I saw just one flake of gold in my pan out there.

Edited by Cooper
Took a word out
  • Like 1