Nugget Shooter Forums

So it's been since 2011 since I've posted anything and the detector bug has bitten me again. I am really interested in the GM and I had a few questions. 1st how does it do on bedrock?That's primarily where I'd use it. 2nd I'm going to post a picture of some gold I found sniping. I really want to use a metal detector at this location. There's definitely gold there. Do you think this gold is big enough for the GM to see? And 3rd I have access to a old hydraulic mine do you think it would do ok there? My last detector was a mxt and I never did find gold with it. I'm located in Oregon.

20180125_172133.jpg

• Like 2

YUP!!! They will sound like boomers on the GM1000 and whispers on the GB2. Don't pay attention to that bar on top. Gold sounds off like iron here in AZ while sitting on bedrock. Could be different in other areas. Great investment that will pay off for you!! Good hunting!!!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jesse - I did not find this gold with a detector but it still sounds off when in contact with the 5" coil.  It sees  smaaaall gold if you run it right.

small gold.JPG

• Like 1

Jesse ... Smallest gold for me to date with the GM1000 is 0.24 gr. ... Not that is 0.24 GRAIN ... basically smaller than a pin head ... it was down in some bank gravel about 3/4". The Monster is death on bedrock gold ... you will love how it sounds off once you get used to a silent threshold. It is a different machine ... but still a VLF. Albeit an extremely sensitive VLF!

20 hours ago, mcgator said:

YUP!!! They will sound like boomers on the GM1000 and whispers on the GB2. Don't pay attention to that bar on top. Gold sounds off like iron here in AZ while sitting on bedrock. Could be different in other areas. Great investment that will pay off for you!! Good hunting!!!

Mike

Has anyone else had this experience with bedrock gold here in AZ?

Bob

Wow that's pretty impressive, so how are the stock headphones? I read some things about people having trouble using aftermarket headphones. It's hard to make a decision there's so many to choose from.

20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

stock headphones?

Jesse, I haven't had any issues with the stock headphones so far. Guess it all depends one one's hearing and comfort desires. I have purchased an adapter to where as I can use my other headsets with the 1/4" plug if I wanted to go that route. Lots of choices out there.  

Jesse - you will have problems with aftermarket headphones.  Adapters don't work.  I've tried multiple variations and still cannot get anything other than the stock headphones to work with the GM.  Only person I heard was able to get it to work, had to take apart the aftermarket headphones and make some wire mods.  I don't care to do that.  But let me know if you find a way.

4 hours ago, SanDomingoJim said:

I haven't had any issues with the stock headphones so far. Guess it all depends one one's hearing and comfort desires. I have purchased an adapter to where as I can use my other headsets with the 1/4" plug if I wanted to go that route.

Have you found a 1/4" female to 1/8" (3.5mm) adapter that will actually work with the GM1000? If so, I'd very much like to know which brand it is and where you bought it from because I've tried a couple of different ones so far and neither of them will work with my Sunray Gold Pro headphones!! I'm not interested in investing in a wireless setup and another pair of headphones. My Sunray's are practically new & work fine with my GB Pro detector - but I've yet to find an adapter that will actually work with the monster & I don't like the stock minelab headphones that came with it. They aren't comfortable, don't have separate volume controls (helps overcome tinnitus in one ear), don't sound block, and don't have a coiled cord... basically they lack everything I love about my Sunrays! So if you or ANYONE on this forum finds an adapter that actually works with aftermarket headphones that have those features, I'm sure there are a lot of people on this forum who would appreciate the info. :)

18 minutes ago, Andyy said:

Only person I heard was able to get it to work, had to take apart the aftermarket headphones and make some wire mods.  I don't care to do that. 

Me either!!! No f'n way am I about to cut into a practically new pair of $150 headphones to modify them just for the sake of making them work with one of my detectors - and at the expense of giving up the ability to hear over the "cricket" noise that is in my right ear 24/7! LOL

Lisa

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Oregal1976 said:

Have you found a 1/4" female to 1/8" (3.5mm) adapter that will actually work with the GM1000?

I bought an adapter and haven't tried it until now. Been using the stock phones that come with the Goldmonster.  My chinese $5.44 adapter does not work just as many have cited before. Tried the adapter with my "Sun Ray Pro's" and it's a no go. 

I do have a cheap pair of panasonic rp-ht227 headphones with an inline volume control. No individual ear controls, but it works fine and shuts off the external speaker.

I guess this would be an opportunity for Minelab or an aftermarket guru to come up with a quality solution. Who knows, if I get bored enough I just might do some electrical experimenting but I'm not there yet. Now I need to get out a find another piece of yellar to make up for my chinese investment. 

Bottom line....the Goldmonster is a bloodhound on dinks.  :head:

6 hours ago, SanDomingoJim said:

Bottom line....the Goldmonster is a bloodhound on dinks.

I've been finding the tiniest quail shot and lead fragments (some are like flat little flakes of lead) anywhere from 1" to almost 3" deep with my monster, no problem! Unfortunately I've been on a long skunk streak as far as the yellow stuff goes. It sees my test nugglets just fine so I know if gold is there, I'll find it. The headphones...

I put in over a 1/2 day of detecting today using the stock minelab phones. My ears started to hurt by 1:30 PM so I hunted without them for a couple of hours after that. It's really a shame, not to be able to use the headphones I invested in and can wear all day long, but only if I'm using my Gold Bug Pro.

The Monster is an awesome detector but it seems the design engineers totally overlooked aftermarket headphone compatibility... Particularly aftermarket headphones that have dual volume controls and 1/4" male plugs! If they'd included a standard 1/4" headphone jack we might not have this problem at all. After reading through this thread, it seems that is the issue.

7 hours ago, SanDomingoJim said:

I do have a cheap pair of panasonic rp-ht227 headphones with an inline volume control. No individual ear controls, but it works fine and shuts off the external speaker.

An inline volume control only controls a single volume level signal to both the left and right speakers. Your Panasonic rp-ht227 headphones are equipped with an 1/8" (3.5mm) male jack, it's no different from using the stock minelab headphones,  except personal (comfort, fit) preference.

Personally, I've really grown to hate straight headphone cords with a passion - love, love, love a coiled cord! The only thing that could be better than that (in my humble opinion) would be going wireless, but that's not in my budget. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Andyy said:

Jesse - you will have problems with aftermarket headphones.  Adapters don't work.  I've tried multiple variations and still cannot get anything other than the stock headphones to work with the GM.  Only person I heard was able to get it to work, had to take apart the aftermarket headphones and make some wire mods.  I don't care to do that.  But let me know if you find a way.

That was me :D

Hacked into my $120 Grey Ghost's,  bypassed everything and wired straight to the speakers. That's how much I hated the external speaker sounding. 

So a few weeks ago I scored the Jimmy Sierra Maxiphone II's.  When connected to the monster with the chinese adapter the external speaker DID NOT sound off. But,  on the Jimmys each side has an independent volume control, when connected to the monster both had to be at full volume to work,  if I turned one down at all the volume went way down on both sides,  so stereo did not work inky mono.  Also the P. I. or VLF selector switch did not work. I tried a different  adapter and same thing.  Not wanting to take any chances in the field and having to remember to constantly check the volume I tore into the Jimmys and bypassed everything and wired those straight to the speakers. All good now.

I also experimented with the sound quality between the Jimmys and Grey Ghosts. The Grey Ghost's are just barely louder and sound a little crisper at the beginning of the signal and midrange sound.  But the Jimmys sound crisper at the end of the signal and give more high end signal where the Ghosts fall off, which I have found to be more important for distinguishing the difference between signals,  like hotrock vs. lead. 

So the Jimmys will be my main headphones.  I thought about putting one speaker from each in a single pair of headphones or one pair of phones with two speakers on each side, the speakers will fit. :89:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Alwaysdirty said:

That was me :D

Ha... Ha... Yep!!  I know.  I was hoping you'd chime in, Shay.

The headphones I tried with the adapters were the Black Widows and the Sun Rays.  But of course, neither would work.  As for sound comparison, I really like the Sun Rays but may have to send them back for repair because they are not working well with the ZED, either.  Good sound but not amplified enough.  Anyways, that's another topic.

• Like 1

UR-30 for me for last bazillion years, others squash my fat head like Detector-pro or Sunray, headphones are a personal mod for purt near everyone simply because no two people hear the same.....

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Oregal1976 said:

no different from using the stock minelab headphones

True, it just gives me another pair if the Minelab ones break.  I would think before  long some one will come up with an adapter that will work with our favorite headsets. Not gonna hold my breath though.  :idunno:

25 minutes ago, Andyy said:

Ha... Ha... Yep!!  I know.  I was hoping you'd chime in, Shay.

The headphones I tried with the adapters were the Black Widows and the Sun Rays.  But of course, neither would work.  As for sound comparison, I really like the Sun Rays but may have to send them back for repair because they are not working well with the ZED, either.  Good sound but not amplified enough.  Anyways, that's another topic.

Don't bother trying any other adapters either,  I bought a $15 Grado gold plated stereo adapter from Amazon and they didn't work either. I also have a pair of $100 Grado stereo headphones that sound absolutely amazing with music so Grado knows there stuff but they don't sound too hot with a detector. 

• Like 1

Not a bad idea, Bill.  So will the transmitter silence the GM1000 and the receiver allow the use of aftermarket 1/4" aftermarket headsets? 

On 1/26/2018 at 8:46 PM, Andyy said:

Andyy ... I have an adapter I bought at Ace Hardware for about $4 that works just fine. I have a small problem with the stock head phones because their tone is a little on the high pitch side ... I've lost that part of my hearing or at least it is so low volume that makes it very hard to hear. If I do use headphones with the Monster it is my Sun Rays. 

• Like 1

Interesting.  I am using Sun Rays as well but neither one of 2 adapters has worked for me.  Maybe ill give Ace a try as well.  3rd time might be a charm.  Lol

On 1/27/2018 at 7:49 PM, Andyy said:

Not a bad idea, Bill.  So will the transmitter silence the GM1000 and the receiver allow the use of aftermarket 1/4" aftermarket headsets? 

Yes

• Thanks 1