Nugget Shooter Forums

Beautiful, Demented Stone.

I'm a meteorite guy who loves collecting interesting stones as well. Every day on my lunch break (30min) I go to the beach and scan the shoreline for cool stones. This Stone was exceptional because it's packed with so much detail, it's beautiful and visibly you can see it's been thru a violent upbringing but I don't know what it is. Any input??

IMAG1760~2.jpg

IMAG1762.jpg

IMAG1763.jpg

Edited by Rocky

I think it may also be metamorphic, perhaps like quartzite.  I do think it started out as cemented pediment, but was sucked back under the earth to be recrystallized.  With quartzite, one way to tell is that the it will break through the quartz instead of along the boundaries between the cement and the quartz.

Just my less then 2 cent thoughts.

I agree with AU Seeker, a Breccia with hematite cement.  The clasts look like pieces of gniess but they could be limestone too.  Check with a drop of acid or warm vinegar on a few clasts to see if they fizz.

Have found rocks here in Alaska that look identical, same color everything. Also some with green 

where the reddish brown is. I never did try to figure what it is because I cut and polish and these are soft enough

that it will not polish worth a darn. I just looked through some boxes and didn't find any,  Bob

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 11:58 PM, Bob(AK) said:

Have found rocks here in Alaska that look identical, same color everything. Also some with green 

where the reddish brown is. I never did try to figure what it is because I cut and polish and these are soft enough

that it will not polish worth a darn. I just looked through some boxes and didn't find any,  Bob

I'm really interested to see it if you can come up with more. It's a cool rock!!

18 hours ago, Bob(AK) said:

Rocky, possibly next Summer, don’t seem to have any now. I have not been picking any up the last couple years

Sounds good, if you happen to come across it again I'm curious to see what you come up with, I'll be hear!