Nugget Shooter Forums

Dinkiest dink yet

Out yesterday afternoon to do some training for 2 new customers and tagged the smallest yet with the Monster and it was even down about an inch, 5 inch coil and hunting in a drywasher fines pile. I think this is the smallest nugget I have ever detected that was actually in the dirt about an inch. Just a whisper until I removed a boot scrape then loud and clear. This detector is simply amazing...

1-22-18.jpg

• Like 7

Now you,ve done it !!! Thats my dinky dink. So Beel what would cause that lil dinky to go over the riffles ? feeding material too fast or to much air or not enough air or just nature of the beast not to get every piece that goes across ?

• Like 1

Jim ... think too wet, not cleaning the box often enough or just too steep an angle on the riffle tray ... or as you say feeding the material too fast ... Bill and I have both pulled nuggets out of that little drywasher tailings area. 

• Like 1

Just 5 thousand more of those and you'll have a nice pile of gold :inocent: Seriously tho, that's good dink detecting Bill :thumbsupanim The Golden Fox is getting more tempted to buy a Monster all the time. We'll she what she decides :black_knight_standing:Of course, the operator's skill is part of the equation :head:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, matt said:

Well done!

Looking forward to hearing from people about the tips and tricks of this new detector.

Matt, the Monster detects pieces smaller than that.  I really dont think there are going to many " tips & tricks"  with this machine, as the settings are not as broad to experiment with. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll put a number on it: .002g; those are the smallest ones I've detected with my GB2 and the GM can easily "hear" them at a distance of 1" with the small coil.  My scale only weighs with an accuracy of .002g.  So it could be even smaller than .002.  Anyway, I totally agree.  The GM is a marvelous piece of equipment to complement a big game hunter like the 7000.  Great job, Bill!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes indeed it will hear smaller than that, but what blew me away hearing that little thing at an inch deep. On the surface it will hear pieces my old eyes need glasses to see  :head: I have seen it done, but that is my smallest so far.....

• Like 1

Hey Bill,

Out of curiosity,  Did the meter register gold when you heard the nuggie? 

I consistently hear beeps with my monster that don't move the meter bar in any direction.

Thanks,  Bob

2 hours ago, Boorx4 said:

Hey Bill,

Out of curiosity,  Did the meter register gold when you heard the nuggie? 

I consistently hear beeps with my monster that don't move the meter bar in any direction.

Thanks,  Bob

Yep once I had a clear signal. The Monster can be a little frustrating at first unless someone shows ya how to deal with the micro processor. Once mastered look out!!!! What settings are you hunting in and how are you doing GB procedure?

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

I am following Johnathan Porter"s recommendations.

After the initial start up I lower the sensitivity, bobb the coil, sweep the coil and bobb some more, then turn the sensitivity  to auto.  I have been mostly hunting in deep all metal mode with the 10" coil. I quite often hear the monster beep but there is no indication on the meter one way or the other.  Sometimes if I do some digging, the bar will move towards the iron side.  Just wondering why this occurs .

Thanks,  Bob

Hi Bob, usually hot ground or a hot rock as hot rocks generally go left as do cold rocks (I hunt in deep almost always), but anytime it bounces back and forth dig and until one knows this machine well DIG ALL TARGETS and learn to trust the GM 1000 and because it has a micro processor it is always "thinking". I realized rather quickly I had something new to learn in this little beast, but once mastered it is down right wicked...

What sensitivity setting I use very much depends on where I am hunting and what setting will be the most stable without losing depth. I am real happy at the 3/4 manual sensitivity if I can use it otherwise I spend allot of time in auto #1 here where I hunt as the ground can get pretty unstable....

• Like 3

Hi Bob ... If I may I am going to add to what Bill said as part of my learning process with this machine. I have found the same as Bill and hunt very much the same way. What I have found is that when I get a FULL peg to the left as a ferrous target it is just that ... BUT if it dances around either between the gold and ferrous side or even bounces around the ferrous side without showing a steady signal the micro processor is still not sure. So I remove a small amount of surface and swing again ... usually it takes a couple of scrapes to steady the signal one way or the other. Once it steadies I determine dig-don't dig. In other words if the signal is not stable on the meter in all cases you must dig. And if there is a constant beep beep as you swing over the target and you see nothing on the meter you must dig that as well. Hope that helps. And now it is clearer than mud isn't it! :old:

• Like 3