Nugget Shooter Forums

Unexpected Locations

Morlock

A topic over in the Rocks, Minerals and Fossils section inspired me to ask this.

Has anyone ever found gold where you never expected to find it? Maybe you were detecting a railroad bed for the hell of it, detecting for coins and found nuggets instead, specking. Just anywhere you didn't expect to find something.

• Like 2

Unfortunately i haven't been that lucky, but like Bill, i have found coins while chasing gold. My seated 50 cent piece was found in nugget ground. Thought i had a big one ha.

• Like 1

There are a couple reasons why it's unlikely you''ll find nuggets while coinshooting...first would be the detectors used and second would be the areas generally detected for coins, aren't on hillsides/washes or areas of exposed bedrock.  I'm sure it occasionally happens, but not often.

I do know of 2 fellers that found their multi ounce patch hunting coins/relics with their CTX3030s. It very possible. Especially if the mining camp was set up on the patch and your there trying to coin hunt with a higher end coin machine like the 3030. Shoot, some of the nuggets they found, you could have picked up with the cheapest Bounty Hunter. 

• Like 3

I was surveying a property line in the forest once, pounding a 4' stake in the ground. Looked down at my feet and there was a gold coin lying there!! That was strange enough, what was stranger was that it was in a plastic holder?? I was miles from anywhere....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LipCa said:

I was surveying a property line in the forest once, pounding a 4' stake in the ground. Looked down at my feet and there was a gold coin lying there!! That was strange enough, what was stranger was that it was in a plastic holder?? I was miles from anywhere....

Possible geocache?

1 hour ago, Relichunter2016 said:

Not nuggets but one time I went hunting with my MXT for some gold nuggets on a tailing pile and got a very loud signal, ended up being a heavy mens gold wedding band.  Weighed in at 12 grams..

I had a similar experience when I found my 'first gold' with a  detector....

I was out in a place northwest of town, and had driven my truck pretty far up a well known wash.  I was very green and didn't know much at all when I came to nuggetshooting.  I parked the truck and walked upstream and started detecting a large inside bend where a few feet of overburden had collected over the years.  I was finding large pieces of trash with my GMT.  After walking around in circles for an hour or so, I got a loud signal, and the "probability meter" was showing a favorable target.  Within the first inch of sand, out pops a men's gold wedding band.  5 grams of 14k gold.  All I can think is someone was having marital problems, and in an impulse move, took the ring off and chucked it out the window as they drove up the wash.  It wasn't a nugget, but I was happy to end up with the ring.

Luke

• Like 3

Yes, some friends and I went detecting a new area and did not score. On the hike out I stopped to take a leak and still had the GP Extreme on with the 8 inch Super Gold Search coil hanging from my back pack bungee. We were just cherry picking on our hike back. While I was answering nature's call the detector swung and bobbed a little (shake and zip time) and I heard a signal. On the ground was an old poke with 12 grams of nuggets in it. Crazy. Life is good :black_knight_standing::thumbsupanim

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rod said:

Yes, some friends and I went detecting a new area and did not score. On the hike out I stopped to take a leak and still had the GP Extreme on with the 8 inch Super Gold Search coil hanging from my back pack bungee. We were just cherry picking on our hike back. While I was answering nature's call the detector swung and bobbed a little (shake and zip time) and I heard a signal. On the ground was an old poke with 12 grams of nuggets in it. Crazy. Life is good :black_knight_standing::thumbsupanim

Man....thats golden both ways! :)
Tom H.

• Haha 5

Almost everyone knows my story.  I went out in a meteorite field (Franconia) and found a specimen that was 3.5oz/1.5oz gold.  It was a sunbaker.  About a year and a half later I went back to the 'area' to target gold and I found a 20.5oz/8oz gold specimen about a mile away.

When I posted the story Bob Dansing 'Montana' responded and said he had found his first gold nuggets about 2 miles away.  I don't know if he found any meteorites either but when I went there I was not targeting gold on the first trip.  I found the gold before anyone told me there was no gold there.  (Actually Bill had said there was no gold there and he was going to some mountains about 5-6 miles away.)

Mitchel

• Like 5

8 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Almost everyone knows my story.  I went out in a meteorite field (Franconia) and found a specimen that was 3.5oz/1.5oz gold.  It was a sunbaker.  About a year and a half later I went back to the 'area' to target gold and I found a 20.5oz/8oz gold specimen about a mile away.

When I posted the story Bob Dansing 'Montana' responded and said he had found his first gold nuggets about 2 miles away.  I don't know if he found any meteorites either but when I went there I was not targeting gold on the first trip.  I found the gold before anyone told me there was no gold there.  (Actually Bill had said there was no gold there and he was going to some mountains about 5-6 miles away.)

Mitchel

Very cool Mitchel. Never heard your story but am glad that you decided to share it here.

Those were some nice finds and to clear the record I told you I have never heard of any found in the strewn field and there was a large placer further up the road with good gold I was rather fond of hunting.... I used to spend allot of time in that area hunting nuggets and meteorites and I am still thinking you are the only one that has ever found any gold in that area I have ever heard of. Gold is where you find it eh. :89:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Bill has stated it correctly of course.  I'm the newbie around here.

Since that time there are people who have told me they found gold around the Buck Mountains.  There are a couple of old mines around there.  I joined the Havasu Gold Seekers for a year and showed them my nuggets and they told me stories about nuggets found around their camp but none of them had ever seen one as big as mine.  Roger who has hunted that area a lot and knows that mountain said there are some pockets that produced in the past.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Mitchel has used up his find-of-a-lifetime quota....sorry Mitchel...of course you are too busy now anyway.

Bill, I know of a couple other nuggets from that area...not by me. 

I think gold may be very scarce in the alluvium  but it is there...just takes either luck or perseverance to find some...and digging tons of junk!

fred

• Like 1