Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold, Questions, Patience, and Pie

Rod

After 6 months of being patient Minelab finally answered a question that Bill, Rob, and I posed to them last August. As much as I am a Minelab fan and promoter (most of us are) IMHO it’s pathetic that Minelab did not follow up with any one of us for 6 months :zzzzz: In retrospect, perhaps my email this morning should have began something like this (after 6 months of waiting for a reply) “Dear Minelab, First of all, know that I am typing with my middle finger…” :rolleyes: Kudos to Tracy at Minelab for being an employee who cares. 

All levity aside, I want to take a moment on that note to thank both Rob and Bill for trying to help get an answer. Bill actually deserves some extra credit as I did not buy the GPZ from him, I bought it from Rob. That should tell you a little something about Bill in a very good way :yesss:, he had no vested interest in helping me but he did so anyway. Bill also helped me try and get an answer to the ferrite ring question after I broke mine. Minelab emailed me today and the answer is clear, any ferrite ring should be ok to use. Thanks again to Bill for his outreach efforts on this item too :thumbsupanim

In anticipation of Minelab clarifying that any ferrite ring should be good to use (had a hunch), I ordered two a few days ago from Amazon for $12. You can see them in the pic below on either side of today’s 10.8 gram nugget found at the Apple pie patch. The day started with questions and ended on a golden note. Pie tastes great after finding a nugget in case you wondered and performance-wise, aftermarket ferrite rings work fine in my experience :black_knight_standing:

bcc1778.jpg

So here are the two questions in case anyone ever wonders with Minelab’s answers:

Ferrite Ring Question: “Does it matter if the ferrite ring used is specifically sold by Minelab or are aftermarket ferrite rings ok to use with the GPZ 7000? Thanks, Rod” 
Ferrite Ring Answer: “Hello Rod,  After speaking with our technician he feels that an aftermarket ferrite ring should be ok to use. Thank you, Tracy Customer Care & BDM Administrator Minelab Americas”

Platform and Warranty Question: “Thank you Tracy. I sent this email (below) 6 months ago to Minelab and never received a reply. Can you help please? Best, Rod
After purchasing the GPZ I read the brochure and did the recent software update. Easy, awesome, thank you. Being a Linux user I opted to borrow my better half’s Windows PC to download and transfer the file via USB. Now, my Linux system could have accomplished that simple task no problem. The brochure simply states to facilitate the update via a “computer”. The term “computer” is ambiguous. The main reason (assumption) for using my better half’s Windows system was warranty. My understanding of the legal definition of computer is essentially the following: ”A computer is a device that computes, often a programmable machine, which can perform a programmed list of instructions and respond to new instructions given to it. An electronic computer accepts data, manipulates data, produces results, and stores results.” (U.S. Legal) Many legal eagles have weighed in that definition covers any of the following: Linux, Mac, Windows, Chromebooks (Linux). tablets, phones (Android (Linux) and iPhone (MAC), etc. Quoting the Minelab brochure steps: “Begin the download by clicking on the new GPZ 7000 software update in the ‘Software Updates (Detector Firmware)' section. It will
automatically save to your computer.” “Connect the GPZ 7000 to your computer via the USB cable and turn on the detector.” “Once the software update file is transferred to your detector, disconnect it from the computer by ejecting the drive and then unplugging the USB cable.” These directions never specify using Windows, Mac, Linux or anything. Just “computer”. That said, downloading and transferring a file could be accomplished with all kinds of “computers”. Again, kudos to Minelab for not making the update required to use some special software, just a file transfer. Can you use any "computer" (Linux, Mac, Windows, etc.) to initiate file transfers for GPZ 7000 updates via USB and not void your warranty? Other ways to ask this question: Does transferring files to the GPZ with anything other than a windows or mac computer void the gpz warranty? Can I use my Linux computer or phone to download the update and transfer the update file to the gpz without voiding the warranty?Thanks for your time and great products! Best, Rod”
Platform and Warranty Answer: “Hello Rod, From one of our engineers: "The nature of the device that is used does not affect the warranty. A Linux box can be used without issue. A phone with a USB adapter has been used in the past. The mechanism that is used to perform updates was specifically chosen to be a Mass Storage Device so that it could be most generic." I hope that helps! Tracy Customer Care & BDM Administrator Minelab Americas” 

This is the original topic from August 2017

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My question is why is there even a need for a ferrite ring for ground balancing ??? No other beepers including minelabs ever needed anything but the ground for balancing :nutty:-is it a flaw or something in the 7000 :idunno:Just curious seems like a pain the arse to me-what if you lose it or forget it-then what ?are you SOL :th: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

I'm thinking ML is just using the Ferrite thing as a Go To Reference for the Un Initiated.    We all know that the only way to do a proper Ground Bal is to Ground Bal to the ground your working.  Be it PI or VLF  .   There are more then a few folks that simply do not have a handle on what is taking place ground balancing.   The Ferrite Reference would get you in the ball park.

Matt:   Have a look around in this post and you will see what this is about to the most parts. 

Edited by homefire

11 hours ago, Mike C... said:

My question is why is there even a need for a ferrite ring for ground balancing ??? No other beepers including minelabs ever needed anything but the ground for balancing :nutty:-is it a flaw or something in the 7000 :idunno:Just curious seems like a pain the arse to me-what if you lose it or forget it-then what ?are you SOL :th: Mike C...:200:

Hi Mike, the ferrite ring is used to help the GPZ better understand the ground you plan to work and help it to ground balance even in the hottest ground. The GPZ 7000 is not a pulse induction detector and it sends and receives at the same time thus the name Zero Voltage Transmission for this technology. We do not Ground Balance the same either, it is a swing from side to side and some pumping at the same time instead of the traditional up and down as with the older VLF and PI units and this helps the 7000 better understand the ground you are working.. The detector can indeed be used without the ring if you break or forget it, but it will have some affect on stability in some areas with allot of microscopic iron and or black sands present in the ground. There is naturally more to it to an engineer, but I am not one :D

here is more about how the ZVT technology works, https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/254716/KBA 24-1 Basics of the GPZ 7000 Technology Zero Voltage Transmission (ZVT).pdf 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1