Nugget Shooter Forums

Old gold pan, classifier?

bsumbdy

A buddy of mine found this on his property near Ely NV. Any idea of what it was used for? It is definitely a gold pan. Looks like the square nail holes were punched intentionally? But not enough holes to be a classifier?20180116_112134.jpg

20180116_112124.jpg

What do you guys think? We may do some prospecting and relic hunting. 

Chris

• Like 3

2 hours ago, homefire said:

Improvised Strainer for unknown purposes.    Fine gold would in fact find it's way through those holes. 

But definitely looks like a gold pan?Yes I figured gold would go through the holes, that's why I was thinking poorly built classifier?

• Like 3

I found one exactly like that at a small prospect that I was detecting.   They were not living at this prospect so I think they were crushing and just collecting the stuff that wouldn't go through.  No water to pan the small stuff.

• Like 1

Low budget classifier. Ive seen a lot of old drywashers with hand/pick or nail punched tin for a top grizzly. AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

Pretty sure its a classifier. We have actually found 5 or 6 of them. Pretty cool relic and could be a clue of what is to be found on the property.

Great find.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A sampling classifier.I've used them for forty years while checking out quartz veins.Basically your looking for color as any color out of a quartz vein is worth further investigating.Take a drill with a 3/8 bit and drill circles from the outer edge in in ever smaller circles from the inside out.Takes about an hour or so.After your done drilling don't forget to file down the rough edges on the bottom of the pan.Any opld beatup rusty pan bought at a yard sale /flea market will do.