Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Supposed to be a gold trip but....


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, hope your all enjoying this early spring weather. I know we are here in the North. Its not too often we can get in the hills around here in January but we made it out yesterday. The boys hounded me all day Saturday so we decided to see how much snow and mud was up at our spot. Surprisingly there was no snow and a little mud. Well like the header says, we were going to chase the gold, but when the "FINDING GOLD" part didn't pan out, we switched to the relic side of things. Turned out pretty good. My little guy found a real neat decorative hook thingy (thats what he calls it) that he went absolutely crazy over, and of course his usual rusty pile of treasures that fill the back of my truck. He does a good job of cleaning the desert of ALL tin and metal. Then my oldest boy found some killer ornate buttons and some cool pocket watch pieces and a solid silver ring of some sort. Its not like a ring you wear, but like a decorative loop to something. That is really cool. Then he found a smashed thimble and some other odds and ends. I ended up finding 5 gold gilded flat buttons all in the same hole, a silver spoon, some neat odds and ends and about 385 pounds of lead. At least thats how heavy my pants pockets felt carrying all them bullets that were down 12 plus inches, jeez. I love my 5000 with the 15 inch EVO but man, its rough digging that many targets in trash laden areas. Finally i got to where i was letting my little guy dig the targets that sounded good. He would run his detector over my target and find it with my pin pointer when he got it out. So mine and his last target ended up being a gold plated thimble. Now up until yesterday, we have never found a thimble anywhere we have gone. Yesterday we found 2. So to top it all off, we get home and start cleaning up all the finds. Cameron my oldest brings his smashed thimble over to me and told me to look inside. It was full of mud and dirt to begin with so we didnt really think anything of it. Well, while he was washing it out there was what i thought looked like 2 dimes in it. After we got it cleaned enough for them to fall out, they ended up being 2 beautiful abalone buttons in perfect shape. Not quite what we thought but hey, they are something we have never found. It was a great day out with my boys and the weather was in the 50s with sunny skies. It was fun. Sorry for the long post haha, take care everyone. 

Dan

20180114_135214.jpg

20180114_153743.jpg

20180114_182246.jpg

20180114_182505.jpg

20180114_182922.jpg

20180114_183830.jpg

20180114_184531.jpg

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post! Love reading the adventures. Pretty cool finds for sure.

Keep em coming.
Tom H.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice finds Dan. I dont have a clue what that iron hook was used for? never seen one before. detecting is like cracker jacks, just never know what's going to come out of the ground next. not only fun but educational too.
It's always nice to get out with the kids and give them a taste of adventure rather then just letting them sit at home all day with their X-boxes. :thumbsupanim
best of luck on more.
AzNuggetBob

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. Im lucky, they would rather go out and do this stuff than sit and play games. They love the outdoors. It is like cracker jacks Bob, thats whats so addicting about it, whether its relic hunting or gold hunting. Thats what hooks us, is the thrill of the hunt.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeoJack said:

Possible drapery hook, like shower curtains?

 

Thats possible, never thought of that. Its heavy cast iron i know that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice finds and even better, out with the kids.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does that wire rope hook have any printing on?  It might be a company give away or a sample of the work they do.  I have a knife made out of a piece of wire rope from John A. Roebling Co.  It says on the blade 'Forged From Roebling Wire Rope'.  When my German Grandfather came to America he was employed by them and acquired it somehow.  It was used as a letter opener.  

   Old Tom

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice finds....  Dan and family.  :thumbsupanim

You're going to have a couple of skilled detectorists here soon.  :head:

Congrats !!

Luke

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Dan!!!

How did I miss this thread!! Terrific finds. If you and the kids hunted where I think you did, you can find all kinds of neat things. I sure did when I was in where I think you were.😉

I sure hope you find more relics this year and of course.....gold, gold, and more gold.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Does that wire rope hook have any printing on?  It might be a company give away or a sample of the work they do.  I have a knife made out of a piece of wire rope from John A. Roebling Co.  It says on the blade 'Forged From Roebling Wire Rope'.  When my German Grandfather came to America he was employed by them and acquired it somehow.  It was used as a letter opener.  

   Old Tom

 

Tom

I cleaned it up last night and could not find anything on it at all. I was hoping for something, but nope. Usually i dont clean stuff like that just for the sake of the cool antique patina, but this i was really curious about. Plus it looks really neat now, kinda like a well seasoned dutch oven looks like. Hey maybe it has something to do with cast iron cook ware??? Ill have to look into that. Sounds like a cool knife you have there Tom.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Morlock said:

Wow Dan!!!

How did I miss this thread!! Terrific finds. If you and the kids hunted where I think you did, you can find all kinds of neat things. I sure did when I was in where I think you were.😉

I sure hope you find more relics this year and of course.....gold, gold, and more gold.

NAILED IT HAHA

images.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Tom

I cleaned it up last night and could not find anything on it at all. I was hoping for something, but nope. Usually i dont clean stuff like that just for the sake of the cool antique patina, but this i was really curious about. Plus it looks really neat now, kinda like a well seasoned dutch oven looks like. Hey maybe it has something to do with cast iron cook ware??? Ill have to look into that. Sounds like a cool knife you have there Tom.

To me it looks like cast iron. Not wire rope made into something. Some kind of a heavy duty ornate hook for something back in the day.

People sure took time to make nice things back then.


Tom H.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TomH said:

To me it looks like cast iron. Not wire rope made into something. Some kind of a heavy duty ornate hook for something back in the day.

People sure took time to make nice things back then.


Tom H.

 

Yeah it is cast just in the shape of rope. Definitely put some time into it for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2018 at 8:43 PM, nugget108 said:

Hi everyone, hope your all enjoying this early spring weather. I know we are here in the North. Its not too often we can get in the hills around here in January but we made it out yesterday. The boys hounded me all day Saturday so we decided to see how much snow and mud was up at our spot. Surprisingly there was no snow and a little mud. Well like the header says, we were going to chase the gold, but when the "FINDING GOLD" part didn't pan out, we switched to the relic side of things. Turned out pretty good. My little guy found a real neat decorative hook thingy (thats what he calls it) that he went absolutely crazy over, and of course his usual rusty pile of treasures that fill the back of my truck. He does a good job of cleaning the desert of ALL tin and metal. Then my oldest boy found some killer ornate buttons and some cool pocket watch pieces and a solid silver ring of some sort. Its not like a ring you wear, but like a decorative loop to something. That is really cool. Then he found a smashed thimble and some other odds and ends. I ended up finding 5 gold gilded flat buttons all in the same hole, a silver spoon, some neat odds and ends and about 385 pounds of lead. At least thats how heavy my pants pockets felt carrying all them bullets that were down 12 plus inches, jeez. I love my 5000 with the 15 inch EVO but man, its rough digging that many targets in trash laden areas. Finally i got to where i was letting my little guy dig the targets that sounded good. He would run his detector over my target and find it with my pin pointer when he got it out. So mine and his last target ended up being a gold plated thimble. Now up until yesterday, we have never found a thimble anywhere we have gone. Yesterday we found 2. So to top it all off, we get home and start cleaning up all the finds. Cameron my oldest brings his smashed thimble over to me and told me to look inside. It was full of mud and dirt to begin with so we didnt really think anything of it. Well, while he was washing it out there was what i thought looked like 2 dimes in it. After we got it cleaned enough for them to fall out, they ended up being 2 beautiful abalone buttons in perfect shape. Not quite what we thought but hey, they are something we have never found. It was a great day out with my boys and the weather was in the 50s with sunny skies. It was fun. Sorry for the long post haha, take care everyone. 

Dan

20180114_135214.jpg

That's what they used to connect the pail to the scale to weigh all the gold they were finding at the time.

I'm sure you and the kids will put it to good use this summer.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...