Nugget Shooter Forums

I know nothing about this piece other than it scratches red and white. Any help on what it could be or any other newbie to mineral identification tips would be greatly appreciated:)

20180115_115111.jpg

20180115_114922.jpg

20180115_115114.jpg

20180115_114907.jpg

That's a toughie. I'm just taking a wild guess. I think it's a lead mineral. The white being cerrusite. Not sure about the matrix.

Is it heavy for its size?

Edited by Morlock

I'm curious where you found it.  In a mine dump or in a stream?  Mined from inside a pocket?  Also location.  I occasionally see white nodules on a red volcanic rock around here, but the nodules I see are tiny.  I'm guessing the white nodules are zeolite, which to me is a generic name for when a small pocket of gas in a volcanic rock fill up with a white material in the same process a geode forms.  There's dozens of different types of zeolite.

Could be Chalcedony, which to me is a variety of quartz, because it's made of the silicon doxide and is just as hard and just as dense.

It looks like the zeolite minerals ChabaziteAnalcime and possibly Mesolite. Usually found in low temperature basalts and flows.

Those are all soft minerals and they look fairly weather worn but it's hard to tell exactly what's going on because of the quality of the photos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clay said:

It looks like the zeolite minerals ChabaziteAnalcime and possibly Mesolite. Usually found in low temperature basalts and flows.

Those are all soft minerals and they look fairly weather worn but it's hard to tell exactly what's going on because of the quality of the photos.

Just an FYI for those looking at the photos on a computer (not sure about a phone), if you click on the image it will open in a window and be the same size, if you click it again in the window it will open in another tab/page and be much bigger, if you then click on it the the new page if will get much, much bigger so much so you will have to scroll to see small portions of the specimen.

Hemimorphite with Wulfenite on matrix.....Likely from Mexico , maybe Arizona . If it is Arizona, It may be hemimorphite and wulfenite , and it would be from the 79 mine , in the Dripping Springs Mts.  But it looks Durango material

Edited by adam
  • Like 2

Looks like quartz and something else.  Do hardness and streak tests for each distinct part of the sample and report your findings.  Photos need to be sharper for the whole sample. 

Yeah it could be Hemimorphite on limonite. Are you thinking the yellow crystals on top are Wulfenite Adam?

I figured the yellow could be Laumonite as it's pretty common with zeolites. It also has a crystal habit that resembles the yellow streaks in the picture.

Truth be told no matter how big the picture is displayed it's not detailed enough to see crystal structure. Adam could be right I could be right. All the minerals being discussed have a white streak. I'm old school mineral guy in that I like to see crystal habitat and angles to help determine type.

With phones becoming everybody's camera I can rarely see enough detail to use crystal habit and structure. Just a hint to phone and digital camera users - never use digital zoom, it makes the picture size a lot bigger but it destroys details and you gain nothing in quality.

• Like 1

Hi Clay, 

Yeah , this material looks like the very common stuff I`ve seen at rock and gem shows.  The hemimorphite from Ojuela Mine, Mapimi, Durango, Mexico  Looks very similar and there is lots of Wulfenite at the location too. The host rock also looks the same as the limonite from the same location. The contrasting specimens from the local make them quite popular, but affordable as it is mined seemingly in abundance.  The two minerals  Hemimorphite/wulfenite occur in a similar deposit at the Dripping Springs location. There is another possibility too, and that is the mineral Adamite.....Rather than the hemi-

Like you say its just a guess, but an observation from my end.  I got to collect at the 79 mine once with the then claimants- john and George...Good times...

Edited by adam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

its not particularly heavy its 1.6 oz and measures 2.25" x 1.5" x 1.25"

6 hours ago, Morlock said:

That's a toughie. I'm just taking a wild guess. I think it's a lead mineral. The white being cerrusite. Not sure about the matrix.

Is it heavy for its size?

Edited by Callieco
Sounded stupid

7 hours ago, Callieco said:

its not particularly heavy its 1.6 oz and measures 2.25" x 1.5" x 1.25"

Are you sure about the weight? That seems awfully light for any rock.

Yep or 44 grams. It is a pretty light rock. And forgive me for my ignorance. I am very new at this but someone mentioned earlier about it maybe being volcanic, i was thinking that might be a possibility due to the way it feels (rough and chalky) and the weight. Also the redish brown host rock is chalky enough to leave a streak when i rub my finger on it.