Nugget Shooter Forums

Mystery nuggets from the Q

TomH

Hey all:

Will post later about the 4 days at the Q we just got back from.....no gold for me, but......got some mystery nuggets.

Ive cleaned them up with hydrocloric and some Whink. Filed a spot on both of them and put some strong nitric on the filed area thinking it might be silver. Well, it did not turn creamy white as it should. It got a little darker in the acid test area but that was about it.

They are 1.8 and 1.1 oz each. With a little quartz host rock on them.

If you scrape the more solid looking one with a knife it kind of peels off but in flaky crumbles (best I can describe it). The bigger more "not so solid" looking one will crumble if you peel it with a knife.

Now the mystery part. I found them with the Gold monster, both in the same area. Solid one was in the main trib, and the other one was on the side of the mountain. Monster was banging back and forth until I got them out and then is was solid to the NON FERROUS side. Not heavily though. About 2 to 3 bars. Ran the Gold Bug pro over it and its hitting all the way down to zero.

As the mystery thickens..............took out the 5000 and ran it over them.....not a peep...nadda, zilch, nutten. I don't know???? Put the gain up to 20...still nothing.

Starting to think low grade galena?

Donno...cant figure these out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tks

Tom H.

DSC04278.JPG

DSC04280.JPG

DSC04281.JPG

DSC04282.JPG

Edited by TomH
  • Like 1

If Q stands for Quartzsite, there is supposed to be a spot you can find lead nuggets. I found a few look like yours but smaller. It's right close to a silver mine.

Srry..yes, Q is Quartzsite.

Tom H.

I did not know that lead could be found in it's native form.  I thought it was too reactive and would turn into other compounds.  There are pictures in google of native lead nuggets.  I guess you learn something everyday.  I still think its a mystery how the lead can be there for millions of years on the quarts and get rolled down the river and not change from lead into something else. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red_desert said:

Weather should be holding out there, warmed up here a lot.

Kind of cold with LOTS of wind.....as usual for that area right now....no rain though, so its perfect drywashing weather.

Tom H.

Edited by TomH

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

I did not know that lead could be found in it's native form.  I thought it was too reactive and would turn into other compounds.  There are pictures in google of native lead nuggets.  I guess you learn something everyday.  I still think its a mystery how the lead can be there for millions of years on the quarts and get rolled down the river and not change from lead into something else. 

When you figure it all out...let me know :) This is the fun of it.

Tom H.

1 hour ago, Bill Southern said:

Galena, will you PI hear it?

Bill, no the PI does not hear it at all.

Tom

On 12/18/2017 at 9:24 PM, chrisski said:

I didn't either, but a guy while at Quartzsite showed me one over 1 ounce in weight, all cleaned up he found years ago. It was found back where I'd been getting smaller sizes. Probably not very common, suppose any non-ferrous native vein metal can be in metallic form.

Or could my finds have been smelted lead that came out of one part of the silver vein and the old timers dumped?

Edited by Red_desert

32 minutes ago, Red_desert said:

I didn't either, but a guy while at Quartzsite showed me one over 1 ounce in weight, all cleaned up he found years ago. It was found back where I'd been getting smaller sizes. Probably not very common, suppose any non-ferrous native vein metal can be in metallic form.

Or could my finds have been smelted lead that came out of one part of the silver vein and the old timers dumped?

Lead nuggets are very rare and it's most likely what you have is left over from smelting galena. I know of one mine I visited down near the Quartzsite area that assayed almost 1900 ounces of silver per ton of galena. No doubt they were extracting the silver from that ore.

Yes, that makes sense, at the time I was there...the mine had trucks in and out, active mining going on back then. I had heard it's silver being mined and the veins can probably be found outside of the hardrock claim. I climbed up the side of a small cone shaped hill, quartz stringers running to the small peak top. Whatever type of ore grade they were getting, trucks were hauling a bunch of it.

Edited by Red_desert

Well...........no mines close to this area. Just a lone wash back in the middle of nowhere.

Pretty sure its galena the way it reacts to nitric though.

Tom H.