Nugget Shooter Forums

GPS recommendations

tomleft

Tomleft:
 I used a Garmin Etrex venture for years. Its a great little unit and cheap.

You can put coords in it prior to going out and use the compass on it to find your way to it.

Dont have to spend a couple of 100 to get a decent GPS.

But like any device, you will have to read up on it/practice with it and use it a bit before you go out in the field.

Tom H.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a Garmin Etrex 20 with the case and belt clip.

I don't trust a touch screen for longevity.  I get the corner coords from Landmatters and cut and paste them into Garmin's free downloadable basecamp.  From there, I type in a description, check the elevation, and then load into the GPS.  Also, I downloaded free 1:24k from the web, put that into Basecamp, and that is stored in my GPS.  I had bought AZ 1:100k, but the chip fell of the GPS during a battery change, so I just went to the web and got something better for free.

I tried downloading topo's on my phone, but its only a step above a flip phone and won't stay charged long enough for it to be useful as a map storage device for a couple of days in the field.  I'm printing up hard copied of the PDFs downloaded from the USGS site for free.

Also, corner markers are difficult,  There's something like 64 places to place a marker in a 640 acre section, provided you space it 10 acres apart.  A 20 acre claim can either be a rectangle facing North and South.  Not difficult to do if you have a copy of the county claim, but for finding new claims, it's difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 15 year old Garmin GPSmap60csx is my guide. The screen on the left side is almost unreadable now but the unit still works ... even losing it in the woods hunting a couple times. Luckily I am very observant of my surroundings in the woods and was able to back track to find it both times! Anyway and decent GPS model will help you get around so long as you can input coordinates. The one caveat is that when doing so make sure you are using the right format on your GPS. You will get close if you make a mistake but inputting decimal into minute/second format and vice versa into the other will mess you up. And in fact you will have a problem inputting to the point of frustration. As someone has already stated a little time with the manual ... printed or online ... and practice will make life in the outback more pleasurable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Garmin Rino, it also has built in 5 watt radio, and when you and a buddy are hunting you can see each other' location, on topo, or aerial views.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a phone with a big screen.  I go on to a claims map online and type in the address on Google Maps.  It accepts several formats.  I get a point and label it.  

I have another program that lists mines and it will automatically put a point on Google Maps but I have to add the name.

When I am in an area I have many locations to choose from.

Mitchel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Garmin Montana 680t.  I can download the kml file directly from the club websites.  Claims show up as nice little corner boundaries.  If I want, I can draw in the rough shape on google earth and save it as .kml to drop in on my gps from there.  I can also download pictoral maps that look like google earth onto the big screen.

What is really cool is I can put it up to my buddies Montana and it will send him the boundary areas as well.

Do I need any of it?  No.   But it makes my life easy. 

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1