Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

New buggy!

20 minutes ago, jjbond said:

I concur, get yourself a 4WD Toyota and if still unsure, stick a spare in the back.... :)

Note: Especially important when you have a long wheelbase (my Tundra has an 8' bed) to have the spare if in some of those deep steep drop/steep climb sharp V wash roads in GB. Mind you, I think most of us are smart enough to not get into the situation shown below as we tend to not be racing down wash roads enroute to a call in pitch darkness.

Jennifer

I have a 4 door tacoma with a short bed so my wheel base is shorter than yours-Better yet is to just park the truck unload the ATV - that would be the best bet and you would get there and back alot faster :4chsmu1: I agree know your limitations dont be stupid especially when alone :nutty: Mike C...:200:

Edited by Mike C...
  • Like 2

The only thing that would get me out of my Ford F-250 pick up would be the indestructible Toyata Hi-Lux pickup, favored vehicle of third world nations everywhere for cheap operating costs and little maintenance.  Sunk under water, hit by a wrecking ball and dropped 25 stories, and still works.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, chrisski said:

The only thing that would get me out of my Ford F-250 pick up would be the indestructible Toyata Hi-Lux pickup, favored vehicle of third world nations everywhere for cheap operating costs and little maintenance.  Sunk under water, hit by a wrecking ball and dropped 25 stories, and still works.

About a year ago I bought a Toyota 4Runner for this very reason, it's a 4 Gen (2003 to 2010 most think these are the last of the best of the T4Rs) mine has the 4.7 V8 and is as tough as a tank IMHO, I still have my GMC Suburban which has around 240,000 miles on it and still going like it was when it was new and I love it but it's not very happy because I haven't driven it very much since I got the T4R!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jjbond said:

That was EXACTLY why I just recently bought the ATV... I was beating the hell out of my truck and putting myself into progressively more and more sketchy situations and figured I better get one before I end up hanging my truck off the back side of a cliff somewhere (I detect alone), I love AAA but they don't do cliff rescue. :cry2:

015A5528-531D-4202-BF56-B9A26FE58416.jpeg

• Like 1

That is when I bought it. Yes I wish wheel drive Tundra but I bought the truck before I started getting into Prospecting. I am stuck with the truck so I added some horsepower and pipes to my 2003 TRD Tundra 4.7 V8. It does have a limited slip diff. Which does not help me if I am on a single track down hill and I have to back up. Hence the reason for the 4 wheeler. It fits in the back of my truck perfectly. My dad in Wyoming is building me a trailer to pull it also. 

84B222D0-0C22-4804-BEC2-A93021B31781.jpeg

Don't have photo shop anymore so I can't post a pic but my wonderful 1986 Toyota Bandeirante made in Brazil

is still going strong. In 04 had it restored but needing it again now. The Mercedes diesel just keeps on going. 

Most of the troubles I have is when driving over small trees and brush they rip out the electric wires. About ten years

ago one of the mech's here put  power steering in the old girl. Now I'm thinking about a under the dash AC. 

I get three or four offers a year to sell it but no thanks. 

• Like 4

Chenowth was a larger buggy manufacturer at one time. They even made some for our military. DPV's(Desert Patrol Vehicle) were the first into Kuwait City during Operation Desert Storm back in 1991. 

Here is a pic of an earlier prototype. Some were fitted with a .50 cal and some were even equipped with TOW missiles. :idea:

They were slowly phased out after the introduction of the humvee...but they were much faster and could go places the humvee's can't. 

Pretty interesting reading this morning, waiting for the sun to come up. Google Chenowth DPV for more pics and info. 

1_oeser8dAn0hHPqifgjQJxw.jpeg

• Like 2

I Wonder If the driver got out of that thing when old top gun started shooting.  Did you ever stand next to one of those 50s when they went off?  Maybe he wore a space helmet or something like that.  I don't blame my hearing loss to that guy alone as I used to load 3'' cannon, and 5''x38s as well.   Seems like muzzle blast and concussion would really come back on the driver.   He's not sitting in there now is he?  

Old Tom

• Like 2

I imagine that would be kinda rough on a person. Maybe they would park it and bail out while the gunner was doing his thing. I really don't know. 

Considering that these were widely used by Special Forces back in the day I'm sure they wouldn't be bother by a little bit of loud gun fire, percussion, and muzzle flash!! 

• Like 1

Welp...converted it over to an alternator. It was cheaper than getting a rebuilt generator and a new voltage regulator. Outputs 14.3V at idle even :thumbsupanim

It took a little customizing to get the wider bodied alternator to fit, but in the end I think it was worth it. 

James bought a quiet exhaust for it. I guess he was worried about scaring off nuggets or something...:idunno:

I admit it sounds pretty good now, with a nice low rumble. 

Now just waiting for a little warmer weather... 34° in the desert this morning:th_panic:

1513952921784867550168.jpg

1513952991706-375249423.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 6
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Looking Good

• Thanks 1

With that new exhaust, you won't have to shout at each other.

Nice buggy !!   You're making me wish I still had mine.  :cry2:

:D

• Like 1

Wont have to keep a coffee can on the stinger now :) They are obnoxiously loud. I had one.
Tom H.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

With that new exhaust, you won't have to shout at each other.

Nice buggy !!   You're making me wish I still had mine.  :cry2:

:D

It is a lot of fun! If you're out this way...a test ride may be available. It might make you want one even more though :)

3 minutes ago, TomH said:

Wont have to keep a coffee can on the stinger now :) They are obnoxiously loud. I had one.
Tom H.

I know...it was a bit brutal at close range. I need to find a kid to sell that stinger system to :inocent:

2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

It is a lot of fun! If you're out this way...a test ride may be available. It might make you want one even more though :)

I bought mine back in '08.  It needed a lot of work.  I stripped it down, replaced all the wiring and other miscellaneous bits and pieces.  Never quite got it going and then my wife got pregnant with our son.  I ended up selling it to a good friend and he was able to get her running and fairly reliable.  I was able to drive it one time about half way up the road to Crown King from Lake Pleasant.  We stopped and turned around at the point where you have one of two choices.  Attempt the rock climb, or go around and risk sliding down into the gully.  We figured it was good enough and I made it back to the trucks in 'record time'.  :4chsmu1:  The buggy was my original 'plan' for a prospecting vehicle when my daily driver was a VW Jetta.  During this time of year it would still be a great option, but I'm often reminded of how nice it is to have A/C in my truck.    :desertsmile:     :yesss:

08-22-08_1802.jpg

• Like 2

Cool buggy Luke! Looks like an old Chenowth by the shape. 

I hear you on the a/c...that was one of several big reasons I sold off the Jeep and replaced it with a 3/4 ton pickup. Not that I do much prospecting when A/C is required, but it's great to have for everything else. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Welp...converted it over to an alternator. It was cheaper than getting a rebuilt generator and a new voltage regulator. Outputs 14.3V at idle even :thumbsupanim

It took a little customizing to get the wider bodied alternator to fit, but in the end I think it was worth it. 

James bought a quiet exhaust for it. I guess he was worried about scaring off nuggets or something...:idunno:

I admit it sounds pretty good now, with a nice low rumble. 

Now just waiting for a little warmer weather... 34° in the desert this morning:th_panic:

1513952921784867550168.jpg

1513952991706-375249423.jpg

Dave if you reroute the exhaust and run the pipes all through the cockpit it should keep you plenty warm on those cold mornings :89:, just don't make the mistake of grabbing the pipes to exit the buggy :WOW: !!

• Haha 1

Took it for a short ride today after it got above 50° and it wasn't bad at all. Between the windshield and the covering we put on, it keeps off the majority of the wind. I checked several times after getting back home...and it didn't catch fire this time:ROFL:

• Haha 2

I spent Christmas eve building another rack for Patches. It was sorely needed as storage space is in short supply. Now between the roof rack and this new lower rack, I have ample room for....whatever :) 

IMAG0554.jpg

IMAG0555.jpg

• Like 5

I spent the day in the desert with Mike the other day and the new rack performed very well. One thing that didn't however was the air filter. Sitting in the rear like that, it would plug up with dust before the end of the trip. It would smell rich and the idle would drop because of the reduced airflow. 

The solution?

Home depot and $28 worth of fittings and 3" drain pipe:)

Relocated the filter behind the drivers seat, in a pocket of clean air. That should allow several trips before needing maintenance. 

Also added coffee cup holders. Made those from a scrap piece of 3" abs pipe. With limited room for frills inside the cab...up on the side pipe, within easy reach seemed the best place. 

IMAG0559.jpg

IMAG0558.jpg

IMAG0556.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good!

But you need to make a "lost shirt" retrieval hook to recover lost shirts while moving at high speeds!!!

• Haha 1

Dave: Seriously?? You have a motorcycle filter on it! Get a big one! :)
Tom H.

• Haha 2