Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NvAuMiner

UTV's and dust

I don't do dust very well and definitley don't like it on all my chit before I even use it.  Well on our first 75mi ride in our new '15 Polaris Hunter Edition XP900 Ranger that is exactly what I got.  Ice chest, chairs and a camo bag full of gear that you couldn't even tell was camo was covered in bugdust before lunch.

I built this OSB board bed cover and coated the top with Herc-u-liner truck bed liner.  I also built a back drop (not pictured) out of OSB and hindged it to the rear top cross bar.  I made it so that the back drop could be held up using a tiedown strap and give you some shade while sitting on the tailgate eating lunch.  If you drop the tailgate, it could also swing into the inside of bed and held up with a bracket to give you clear rear-view driving when dust isn't a problem.  I held it to the bed with turn buckles in all 4 corners so that it didn't hop while off road. 

It is the best thing I have done, as it keeps out 99.5% of all the dust in the bed. . . no matter how dusty the trail is. The little extra weight is well worth it.IMHO

Hope this is worth the share and helps someone out that doesn't like the dust.

Edit: Found a hunting pic that I cropped to show the back drop.  It is actually painted camo, but you can see it is covered in dust that didn't make it in the bed.

IMG_1835 (1).JPG

IMG_1838 (1).JPG

IMG_1837 (1).JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

Edited by NvAuMiner
  • Like 3

When I go out exploring I sometimes take my 660 Grizzly.  I can move around faster with it.  Thnx about the lawn... I'm weird.. I like yardwork.. my own that is.:4chsmu1:

Great idea......i recognize the cropped hunting pic lol.

1 hour ago, nugget108 said:

Great idea......i recognize the cropped hunting pic lol.

Yeah...  I didn't want to show the BBD in the OFF ROAD VEHICLE forum.  :idunno:

• Haha 1

The dust is a bitch. Removing the windshield helps the most, but not very comfortable when its cold out. Keeping that area dust free also results in less dust in your air filter and clutches. :thumbsupanim

BBD????

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 1

We have some location that are that Adobe Red Clay based dirt.  After that stuff dries out and gets kicked up in the air NOTHING is dust proof.  It's so fine it can make it inside your ride through the AC Vents , Closed Windows or any other   orifices.    One day on that stuff and you need to service or replace your Air Filter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

The dust is a bitch. Removing the windshield helps the most, but not very comfortable when its cold out. Keeping that area dust free also results in less dust in your air filter and clutches. :thumbsupanim

BBD????

BBD ??? = Big Buck Down

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NvAuMiner said:

BBD ??? = Big Buck Down

Post a pic! Most of us are avid outdoorsmen...

1 hour ago, ArcticDave said:

Post a pic! Most of us are avid outdoorsmen...

Here ya go.

IMG_1872.JPG

• Like 11

Camo max... if it weren't for your wife's shirt and face, and your teeeth, everything would be invisible. :D

That looks like them things that kept talking to me when I was out on Rye Patch.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, I like camo and I tend to hunt like I swing.. away from people.  There is quite a story behind this hunt.  In short:  I spotted him opening morning but couldn't get close to him.  I waited a few days until my wife could join me.  We headed back up a deadend road and spotted him laying down in a tall grass high in a bowl.(450+yd & steady cross wind)   She stayed in the Ranger, glassing him the whole time as I snuck to within 220yd. It was 9:30am. my field of view changed and I could see but just tips of horns. So I waited.  At 3hrs a forky-horn (that I couldn't see) stood up - streched and layed back down :grr01: at 1:30 he stood - bang - back down he went.  Meat in the freezer. . . so I thought!!!

There was a reason he didn't want to get up -  he was hurting.  The shinny spot above his left eye (that is no longer there) is a bulit stuck in his hide, betterhalf is pointing at it.  My 1 shot was true, but he was also hit in the intestin.  It must have been a few days earlier as he was already septic and not consumable at all.  NDOW thanked me for taking him out of his pain and offered me another tag, but I declined.  I thought who knows how many other people just fling lead in hopes of hitting/wounding and not retreaving their game.  Besides, I am not alwasys blessed with such great company and wanted to remember the hunt with the mounted rack.  To those that hunt...  learn your gun,  go to the range and practice  Just flinging lead could injure more than game, as bullets travel a long long way and still do damage.

To get out of the weeds and back 'on-topic' track :tisk-tisk:. . .  You can see how the gun scabbard doesn't have dust on it.  :thumbsupanim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice buck to bad the meat was no good. Here are mine from Wyoming past October. 

D4E53A88-5A45-4309-AD7E-EF906E3E83A8.jpeg

394B2FD8-DD28-4AB1-AF2B-52A3A526C305.jpeg

1FF1396F-F437-4729-A0C2-1EF82FAF0A54.jpeg

• Like 3