Nugget Shooter Forums

Arizona fireball!!

4 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

May have to wait a while until a the likely location of imapct it detemined.

And even then many may not want to disclose where they may have a found a piece of it!

True. It looks like it came down very hard!! 

As a kid in Tucson I was out in the Back Yard one night.  All the sudden the whole back yard lit up with  weird green blue flashes of light. Like someone was Arc Welding .   I was in the shadow of the house.  Stepped back and seen one like that.  From My prospective it silhouetted the  Catalina Mtns  .  I was sure it came down someplace close behind them.   The next day it was reported folks in Montana and Idaho seen the same thing.  As it happened they said the thing never came down .  It just blew threw the Atmosphere and skipped on down the road.

Edited by homefire

If Doppler radar picked up any signatures around the same time as the fireball then it's likely that it dropped meteorites. But until then, we don't know if any meteorites are on the ground. Not all of these fireballs produce meteorites. I'm hoping this one does though!

• Thanks 1

Uncle Ron,

It is impossible for it to be a Leonid. It occurred at 8:28p MST long  before the Leonid radiant is above the horizon.  Meteors travel in straight lines and do not circle around the Earth. Leonids cannot be seen much before about 11:15p when the radiant is within a few degrees of the horizon, and then they are Earth skimmers.  About 6000 of the 19,284 meteors I have seen have been Leonids during their storms from about 1999 to 2003. Incidentally, the Earth skimmers of 1999 were some of the most spectacular I have ever seen. They began about 11:25p. 

Also if you look at the direction of the bollide it is coming from the opposite direction from the radiant. Everything about the descriptions of the Arizona bollide are unlike true Leonid bollides. I have witnessed about 20 Leonid bollides coming from the radiant which illuminated the ground. All have occurred between 1:20a and 6:00a local time. The brightest was about +-20 and left a smoke trail being split by the jet stream lasting over 45 minutes until it blew over the horizon.

This one very likely landed west of the Beeline Hwy #87 and north of Strawberry and could be recoverable assuming it was not sporadic cometary debris.

Time for a road trip.

billpeters

• Like 1

Impossible is a harsh word..  Maybe that chunk of Rock didn't read the book telling it where to be ?  Things aren't just floating around up there.  Maybe that chunk of rock was a straggler away from it's flock.  

Edited by homefire

Sorry homefire. I stand by my assessment.

If you were sitting in the outfield bleachers of an empty baseball stadium facing home plate four hours before game time and a basketball flew overhead from behind you towards the infield, how likely would it be that it was hit by a batter from behind home plate?

If you took a road trip and stopped for gas how likely would it be to find bugs on the back window?

The physics defy logic.

It is a sporadic bollide large enough to have reached the ground, which could be recoverable.

billpeters

P.S. Cloudy weather limited by Leonid count this year to four. Only 712 to go to reach 20,000 lifetime meteors. The Geminids are next, Dec 14.

• Like 1

Saturday evening Dodie and I were return home from the outing about 7:30 PM and the was a large, very bright and long lasting one to the west of Wickenburg...Sort of appeared to be over the Alamo Lake area...It was bright white then green..Cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron,

You and Dodie saw the one which went west terminating over the ocean near Oceanside, CA north of San Diego at 6:33 p.m.AZ  local MST Nov 18, 201  https://www.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/event/2017/4500 . 88 others have already reported it on https://www.amsmeteors.org/fireballs/fireball-report/ 

You should report it as well at www.amsmeteors.org 

Congrats,

billpeters

Edited by billpeters

1 hour ago, billpeters said:

Uncle Ron,

You and Dodie saw the one which went west terminating over the ocean near Oceanside, CA north of San Diego at 6:33 p.m.AZ  local MST Nov 18, 201  https://www.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/event/2017/4500 . 88 others have already reported it on https://www.amsmeteors.org/fireballs/fireball-report/ 

You should report it as well at www.amsmeteors.org 

Congrats,

billpeters

Bill, all that info sounds about right except the time ... We're about 15 -20 min. from LSD and we got home just before Judge Janine came on Fox News at 8PM...So what we saw definitely was at 7:30PM AZ time, no question...That would have been 6:30 CA time ... Maybe we saw a different fall, although the direction seem right on... Cheers, Unc