Nugget Shooter Forums

Those who have used both the new Whites GMT and the older Goldmaster V-sat, are there any real differences in performance for nugget hunting? I know the GMT had a digital screen but that seems to be just a distraction some times. When i have a screen i seem to spend more time looking at it trying to decide if i should dig or not instead of Just digging. The GMT had a smaller, lighter control box but that is not an issue. So what, if any are the real differences/ Reason i ask is i just picked up a decent V-sat for $110 to use. Also, what is you coil of choice for the Goldmaster series. Thanks

The screen is a distraction.  To be honest, I never found any gold with my GMT.  But a lot of that had to do with my general lack of experience.

The V/sat is a dig everything machine.  I like to play a game with myself and try to guess what the target is before I 'dig' it.  The fainter, sharper (faster rise and fall) are usually what I'm there to find.  Uncle Ron will probably mention that birdshot have a distinct sound and at this point I would agree with him.  You still have to dig everything since small round solid nuggets can fool you.

The 6 inch shooter coil is a great way to go when you are still learning the machine.  Some have said, that the 10 inch coil is just as sensitive, and I have no reason to doubt them, but it also sees more ground and can make things more difficult in certain conditions.

Good Luck !!

Luke

• Like 2

The small double D coil is a little smoother in high mineralization areas, plus is easier to work in tighter spaces. The goldmaster will find you gold providing you put in the time to learn the machine.  Jim

13 minutes ago, Rebel73153 said:

Thanks Jim, i will be getting a 4"x6" as soon as i can find one for a Reasonable price.

If you ever see one for less than $100, jump on it right away.  You can get a new coil for $150, but the used ones still go quick at a hundred bucks.

If you got the detector for $110, even if you bought a new coil, you're still on the 'plus side' as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Thanks Luke. Yea, i saw some on e-bay for $150 but would like to get one for less if possible. According to the tech up at Whites the stock 6"x10" is a good one.

First gold detector I owned back in the 1990's, found my first 100 nuggets with it !! Great detector, super sensitive. The only thing you have to get used to is manual ground balance by turning the coarse and fine knob while pumping it up and down. I never found it a problem, just takes a few minutes. Otherwise a great little detector for a 150.oo bucks. Forgot to mention, ground balance often ...wish I would of kept the one I had...if anything for memories of the good ole days...:head:

Edited by Relichunter2016
  • Like 2

I've owned several VSATs and they are one of my favorite detectors...I like them with the stock 10x6 coil...I've owned every Gold Master except the GM4 which I thought sucked ... I've found lots of gold with every one of them ... I still have the GMT and love it ... It's good for coins as well as nuggets ... I also have a GB2, and a SD2100, in addition to my 4500 ... I've found bunches of gold with each one of them ... The little 6x4 shooter coil is good but does tend to false more than the stock coil ... I did the testing on the first little coil for Jimmy Sierra ... The original coil was really sensitive and I tested it at Rich Hill, LSD and Vulture Red Basin ... The latter is really hot ground and can be a challenge ... Bill has the article I did on his website ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 3