Nugget Shooter Forums

I always wondered. . .  Why does most everyone weigh their gold or show pics of their gold in grams rather than dwt.  It just seems to me that with 31.103 grams to a T. oz and 20 dwt's to a T. oz, the break down to figure what is what would be easier using dwt's.   Honest question!!  Thnx.

• Like 1

I think it's just what your use too. I have issues with Grain even though I know it 15.4 and some to a gram. I just happen to like Grams. LOL, not like I deal with Oz at a time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, NvAuMiner said:

I always wondered. . .  Why does most everyone weigh their gold or show pics of their gold in grams rather than dwt.  It just seems to me that with 31.103 grams to a T. oz and 20 dwt's to a T. oz, the break down to figure what is what would be easier using dwt's.   Honest question!!  Thnx.

I hear ya. When I first got into this gold chasing (1980) I used a powder scale to weigh my au. Everyone that I dealt with then used the terminology grains, pennyweight, and ounces. Guess I am just old school and too darn stubborn to conform to the new math. :2mo5pow:

• Like 1

The real reason.......im not sure lol. But for me, i guess its because every time you buy/sell gold its usually in grams. Maybe the majority of gold buyers/hobby buyers arent aware of the other weights? Good question.

• Like 1

I can go either way.....but most people are used to grams as far as buyers are concerned. Take a look at some of the online gold nugget sellers..it's all in grams. Mineral / gold nugget collectors are probably more tuned to grams and not DWT/Pennyweight. For me, when i find a nugget I can get pretty close to guessing the weight....and guess which weight my brain is set on? Grams. :idunno:

• Like 3

Thanks for the replys guys.  Yeah, when I find a nugget I always look at it as a .5, 1, 3 or 5 DWT.  lol  I might have to teach this ol-dog a new trick (grams)  I can see myself already breaking out the calucator until I get it.:2mo5pow:     Better yet, I'll just switch the scale over and familiarize myself with both.

• Like 1

To bad it couldnt just be simple and have the scale button on oz's every time we put our gold on it. 😁

Maybe because it's easier to say grams instead of pennyweight.:D  Just kidding. I used pennyweight back in the 90's but when I joined this forum, grams were always the preferred option.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, homefire said:

I think it's just what your use too. I have issues with Grain even though I know it 15.4 and some to a gram. I just happen to like Grams. LOL, not like I deal with Oz at a time.

Using grains gives me flashbacks to the long monotonous hours spent in front of a Dillon 650 reloader pumping out hundreds of rounds of .38 super for my days of shooting IPSC.....

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, nugget108 said:

To bad it couldnt just be simple and have the scale button on oz's every time we put our gold on it. 😁

To bad it wasn't easier to have to USE the ounce setting on the scale every time. :D

jjb I hear you about the re-loader. For thirty years I loaded 12 ga. for me and my son for quail season. Always started out

with 1,000 rounds, usually that lasted the season. 

Now I like weighing gold better, I don't care what the scale is set on as long as it's weighing gold instead of shot and powder. 

• Like 4

The worls standard is grams. We couldn't get the metric system right but grams always seemed right as a more finite unit of measurement and 12 oz to a pound also is yet another issue. I sold a customer , back in the 80s, a pound of gold for $X and he came back ranting and raving i ripped him off as only 12 ozs. He thought he was getting me bad, but he got a honest deal at 12 oz price, which he didn't like. Scale read a pound so legit.John

• Like 1

I always thought it was because in grams the break-down was smaller for the mynute units of measurement it offered.  More bang for the buck.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the beginning of the AZ gold forums, it was all DWT...But then folks started using grams simply because 31+ grams in an ounce sounded bigger than 20 DWT in an ounce...As more and more newbs came on board, it just became more prevalent... I've always thought first in DWT then had to convert to grams...As long as it's gold, don't matter! ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 2